Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: RMS Shield red dot

Site Supporter
    That would be awesome. I like options.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Any updates on how the Waterproof RMS sights are doing, and/or any of Shield's offerings? I was waiting on a waterproof RMSc for my G43, but it seems like they're not planned at this time.
    Got my RMSw a couple of weeks ago; ordered it directly from Shield back in May, I think it was.

At Mark Housel's now, getting fitted onto a P365.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Got my RMSw a couple of weeks ago; ordered it directly from Shield back in May, I think it was.

At Mark Housel's now, getting fitted onto a P365.
    Would love pics and impressions when you get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Would love pics and impressions when you get it back.
    Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    How are these holding up? Any word on the W or a glass lens? I want a small dot on a 43X, shield or the sig RZ?
    Just got an RMSw in and the glass lens option should be a custom option by October.

Picked up my P365 from Mark Housel this afternoon, after he installed the Shield RMSw. Quick range trip followed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it. I can certainly shoot it much more accurately with the dot on it than with irons. I had forgotten to put a holster in the car before going to pick up the pistol, so was only able to shoot it from a ready position. The dot acquisition was surprisingly quick for a first time outing. Haven't had a chance to evaluate the auto brightness. And don't intend to intentionally evaluate the unit's water resistance! Will report on durability as I get more rounds through it.

Attachment 41856

Had a question about overhang on either side. Slide is 0.9" wide, and dot body is 1.0" wide, so overhang on either side is 0.05". Actually, since top edges are rounded, and lower edge of dot body is in that rounded part, there's a bit more overhang, but it's nothing objectionable.

Just an update on the P365/Shield RMSw combo. Several hundred rounds in, and both still working well. No hiccups from either.

Thoughts on the Shield. As this is the only Shield optic I have, I can only presume its operation is similar to the other Shields. I have yet to determine the battery life. The unit has no on-off switch, and only auto-adjustment for brightness. A plastic cover is provided to "cut off" the unit when not in use. It's not a tight, secure fit, and while it will work OK in a static situation, it can be easily knocked off (as, for instance, being carried in a range bag). My use has so far been restricted almost entirely to an indoor range, although I have taken the gun from indoors directly outdoors, and the dot brightness has adjusted OK. I do wish the dot was a bit larger. Size-wise, the Shield is a good match for the P365. Having recently been spoiled by shifting a Glock from an RMR to an SRO's picture window view, I'm not too unhappy with the Shield's window size.

As for the P365, it hasn't missed a beat. It is a "bouncy" little gun, and in attempting to control it with a tighter grip, have caused it to fail to lock back on an empty mag several times (by grabbing the slide lock). It works, or worked, in a pocket holster (about as well as any gun does), but adding the dot now pretty much limits it to a holster. Which is OK; Tony at JW knocked out a couple of options for me. An IWB for primary carry, and an OWB for the range (a couple I frequent restrict shooters to OWBs). One note about the mags. I have about a half dozen of them (10-, 12- and 15-rounders), and they all exhibit a "catch" when loading the fourth round. I don't know if there's an easy fix, but it's a minor nit.

It's an interesting combo, the gun obviously sized primarily for "tight" situations, and the smallish dot doesn't diminish that role too much, while being a virtually necessity for optically-challenged geezers like me.

After playing with some Shields any future ones I buy will be the 8 moa to make up for the perceived lack of brightness I experience with the 4 moa ones

For those interested they're now , or are very soon to be , available in a variety of colours.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    After playing with some Shields any future ones I buy will be the 8 moa to make up for the perceived lack of brightness I experience with the 4 moa ones

For those interested they're now , or are very soon to be , available in a variety of colours.
    Agree. The smaller moa Shields seem dim in certain light, where the larger dot is very usable to my eyes.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List