Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: RMS Shield red dot

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I don’t IG. What does it say? I don’t see an obvious announcement on their webpage.

The new all glass lens is now available as a custom option on our website. The customizer will let you choose color, dot size, and lens material for the RMS, RMSw, RMSc and SMS. Custom orders will ship 4 - 6 weeks after the order is placed. .
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Will the glass improve perceived dot brightness? (Maybe leading one to choose a 4moa over 8moa?)
    My guess would be no, at least not until you have had a chance to scratch the polymer up cleaning it.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    The new all glass lens is now available as a custom option on our website. The customizer will let you choose color, dot size, and lens material for the RMS, RMSw, RMSc and SMS. Custom orders will ship 4 - 6 weeks after the order is placed. .
    Thank you! I saw the custom RMSc configurator upthread, It’s good to see glass has been extended as an option across the line. I can see a custom black RMSc with glass in my future, initially for my 43 using a Brownells slide to test the concept for me...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Just wanted to share a little update on my order with Shield. I contacted them and they apologized for the delay and are expediting my order once they have more RMSw bodies. Time quoted on receiving them was the next 3-4 days. They also accepted my request to upgrade to glass on the order. It looks/sounds like they have boat loads of orders to fill but despite how busy they seem they are very responsive to requests and communication. CS is pretty great as I've experienced so far. Thanks again @flyrodr.

I will be very curious how the glass lens option performs. I heard something suggesting it might not be as strong as the plastic lens, although it should be way better in not scratching.

How I clean the current RMS is to use compressed air to remove any loose debris and follow up with a Leupold lens pen.

I am running the 8 moa RMSc on my 43X. I like the large dot with an auto adjust system. This afternoon, I was shooting a 12 inch steel at 110 yards with it, and the dot covered a lot of the target. I think 5.5 moa would be ideal, but still lean towards the 8 vs the 4 for how I use the 43X.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@GJM, I am most interested in its performance as well. To be quite honest I expect to break the sight. Personally I still don't feel like the red dot is quite there yet anyways. The red dot for me is mostly to evaluate how it might carry, see how reliable it is through heavy training/shooting but above all I am looking at it as a training aid. I have followed a lot of your posts very closely and in listening to what you have said and others I trust I think the red dot will make an excellent training tool for me. I am excited and really hope to have it soon so I can send my slide off to have it cut and mounted.
    Last edited by Mike C; 12-05-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I will be very curious how the glass lens option performs. I heard something suggesting it might not be as strong as the plastic lens, although it should be way better in not scratching.

How I clean the current RMS is to use compressed air to remove any loose debris and follow up with a Leupold lens pen.

I am running the 8 moa RMSc on my 43X. I like the large dot with an auto adjust system. This afternoon, I was shooting a 12 inch steel at 110 yards with it, and the dot covered a lot of the target. I think 5.5 moa would be ideal, but still lean towards the 8 vs the 4 for how I use the 43X.

I do think that beyond the party trick stuff , the bigger dot works better.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Yeah, I think SHIELD advertises the polymer as 10X stronger than glass (I assume that's due to 10X the flex of glass).

However, this glass looks 3.75X as thick as the polymer, so I expect it'll hold its own in everything other than a drop test. I'm hoping it has some kind of tough mineral glass with a sapphire coating. I wonder if we'll see any distortion from glass that thick (and curved). I notice the distortion with RMRs, but not with Holosuns (even though I know there is some).

NOTE: I usually just clean mine with compressed air, and then brush it off with a lens-pen brush. Once every 3-4 months, I'll use ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER WD-40 on a q-tip (advice I got from them), which I roll around on the lens, then use a dry one, and some more compressed air.

How’s this optic working out of for you on the 43x so far? Any problems? Thinking about ordering one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    How’s this optic working out of for you on the 43x so far? Any problems? Thinking about ordering one soon.
    Completely satisfied. Been using it daily since around October. I use care cleaning it, and have no scratches. Has held zero and is still on the original battery. They are hard to get now.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List