Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RMS Shield red dot

RMS Shield red dot

A few buddies have been encouraging me to try out a RMS Shield red dot. Since I have broken a half dozen Delta Point Pro Optics since fall, and dislike the small, tinted, curved display of the RMR, I was open to checking out the RMS.

I just received both a RMS Shield optic and the MOS specific mounting plate from Brownell’s. The plate was spendy at $85, and the optic was $400, which suddenly seems expensive with the drop in DP Pro and RMR prices. My initial reaction when taking the optic out of the box was on a per ounce basis, this thing is ungodly expensive. I was impressed by the MOS mounting plate. Very low, and it had to be slid in from the side like a Unity Atom set-up. I loctited the base plate but not the two screws securing the RMS to the mounting plate, while still in evaluation mode.

Here are some pictures. First, the RMS and my back up sights, a regular height MOS rear from 10-8 and a .230 front HD, that I previously verified zero with prior to mounting the optic.

Name:  75F42033-4FEF-4E45-984B-A34E5FE73E6A.jpg
Views: 5836
Size:  28.4 KB

Next is a comparison of the RMS and a DP Pro.

Name:  AC6BEEDC-A08C-40AE-BEAE-DFCBE26E52CF.jpg
Views: 6161
Size:  44.2 KB

Here is the RMS and an RMR.

Name:  A6E95CFE-1CDD-483B-9252-3DD39ADFB9F5.jpg
Views: 4084
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  CFB9E7B9-EBBA-4C1C-9B3E-A8B96A4AE1FA.jpg
Views: 3872
Size:  74.6 KB

Finally, a side view of the RMR, showing the standard height reserve sights.

Name:  8F370C42-0ADD-4026-A3E2-557A48D19861.jpg
Views: 3766
Size:  37.9 KB

I threw away the included 2032 battery and started with a Duracell, that apparently offers the best duration in a red dot. Prior to hitting the range, I rough zeroed the red dot to align with my iron sights, and that got me within three inches at 25 yards. 25 rounds later, I was happy with my zero, and started a regular practice session.

Slight digress on the RMS controls. No accelerometer to sleep the dot, like on the DP Pro, so the optic is on until the battery dies. That feature on the DP Pro has broken on nearly every one of my nine units, and on a number of DP Pro units owned by friends. Also unlike the DP Pro, there is an auto adjusting red dot, and no manual control over dot intensity. In my session today, the auto intensity functioned worked perfectly, but I plan to test this in a variety of lighting conditions. Thee is a battery tray, that allows you to replace the battery without removing the optic, although I have seen at least one comment that tray is fragile. You could also remove the unit and change the battery like the RMR, if it lasts the specified two years referenced in the instructions.

Shooting the RMS was very natural, as the red dot is very low — the same height as your iron sights. This also eliminates, or at least greatly reduces optic/barrel offset, that is an inch or so with the DP Pro, and has me holding above a one inch square at 7 yards, to hit the square. I love how clear the display is, and it makes it easy to use your iron sights through the display. The display feels larger than the RMR, but smaller than the DP Pro. That said, I never felt the display small. To benchmark it, I shot Gabe’s entire test, and went 6/8 at the Turbo level, with just the two Bill drills slightly over time.

I need to shoot it a lot more than the 350 rounds I did today, to evaluate durability, retention of zero, and general suitability for gaming or EDC. For gaming, if it holds up, it is far superior to the RMR, because of the display size, shape and color. For EDC, it is intriguing as it sits low minimizing printing, and you can use your regular iron sights as reserve sights.

When I went to photograph it at home after leaving the range, both screws holding the optic to the base plate had come loose, but I never noticed a shift in zero, which is probably because of the large bosses in the base plate and how snug that plate fits in the MOS slot. I added blue loctite and will watch for this in future sessions.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Best advice: don’t drop it, don’t get it wet, and read the instructions on cleaning the lens VERY CAREFULLY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Best advice: don’t drop it, don’t get it wet, and read the instructions on cleaning the lens VERY CAREFULLY.

Thanks, here is a link to cleaning instructions:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smNQvgOLzXc

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thanks, here is a link to cleaning instructions:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smNQvgOLzXc
    I much prefer a TShirt and hooker spit.

I'm really pumped to see you put one of these through it's paces in a hard use, but not deliberately abusive, scenario. Thanks for doing this. The new RMSc looks intriguing for a G43 too, and if your RMS proves worthy, I may a test the RMSc.
    Last edited by CR78; 02-21-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CR78 View Post
    I'm really pumped to see you put one of these through it's paces in a hard use, but not deliberately abusive, scenario. Thanks for doing this. The new RMSc looks intriguing for a G43 too, and if your RMS proves worthy, I may a test the RMSc.
    Regular RMS fits a 43 (it just over hangs the edges slightly). The RMS-C is only thinner, that’s it.

I spent a fair amount of time last night, and this morning, dry firing the RMS inside, in a variety of lighting conditions, from totally dark through typical indoor lighting. The auto intensity has worked perfectly. I am interested in what happens in direct, morning sunshine, and when the emitter gets moisture on it.

I really appreciate how low the RMS dot sits, at regular iron sight height, and how this contributes to the dot being exceptionally natural and quick to acquire.

I had been considering trying one of these, with the thinner base plate option, on my G19 MOS. Thanks for sharing your results with us.

Aren't these made in the UK? How is the warranty service / CS on these?

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    Aren't these made in the UK? How is the warranty service / CS on these?

Yes, and unknown. I bought from Brownell’s, and hopefully they stand behind it if needed.

User Tag List