Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: RMS Shield red dot

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    It’s surprising to me in that the pistol manufacturer has such a large share of the pistol market and the optic manufacturer has such a small share of the optic market.
    Shield is the MRDS company in Europe. Just take a look at how many Shields were in IPSC European Handgun Championship Production Optics.

Glock doesn't care about the US civilian market, they already sell every gun they make. If they want to expand in the European market it makes sense they make the gun to fit the most popular optic in Europe.

Glock also makes guns factory milled from RMRs. Those would sell like hit cakes here in the US. But why would they right now when the down right terrible MOS is flying off the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That’s a US-centric view, I don’t know that we can say Shield has a small share on a worldwide basis without more info. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Glock worked with them to develop the new “Glock Edition” SMSc with glass lens, tougher hood and improved electronics.
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Shield has been a player in the miniature red dot market before Trijicon. Trijicon's first product was actually a private-labeled Shield product. I also understand that Shield is a current supplier to the British Ministry of Defence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhado View Post
    Shield is the MRDS company in Europe. Just take a look at how many Shields were in IPSC European Handgun Championship Production Optics.

Glock doesn't care about the US civilian market, they already sell every gun they make. If they want to expand in the European market it makes sense they make the gun to fit the most popular optic in Europe.

Glock also makes guns factory milled from RMRs. Those would sell like hit cakes here in the US. But why would they right now when the down right terrible MOS is flying off the shelves.
    The G43X/G48 aren’t going to see a lot of military and law enforcement sales. The people looking to award LE/Mil contracts likely aren’t looking for slim, 10 round guns, at least not for the kind of contracts that earn big money. The optics that are meant to mount to guns this small don’t really have much of a role in LE/Mil contracts. If your gun has a wider slide, why not use a standard sized red dot like a regular RMR or 507 or an ACRO instead of one of these K/CC models since the standard sized optics have larger windows? The G43X/G48 and their respectively sized optics also won’t be very competitive in most of our shooting competition sports.

The G43X/G48 are fantastic CCW guns but not great service pistols or competition guns. That primarily means private citizens carrying concealed with small amounts of military special ops folks in NPEs and LE folks too lazy to carry larger guns. There are only a handful of places in the world where private citizens can carry guns for self defense. The USA is, by far, the largest of these places and the biggest market. It’s a market that dwarfs the markets in all the other other CCW permissive countries combined. Few people in the US are familiar with Shield optics as opposed to Trijicon, Leupold, Vortex and Aimpoint optics.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    C&H makes a plate that will bump a 507K up to be usable.

The G43X/G48 aren’t going to see a lot of military and law enforcement sales. The people looking to award LE/Mil contracts likely aren’t looking for slim, 10 round guns, at least not for the kind of contracts that earn big money. The optics that are meant to mount to guns this small don’t really have much of a role in LE/Mil contracts. If your gun has a wider slide, why not use a standard sized red dot like a regular RMR or 507 or an ACRO instead of one of these K/CC models since the standard sized optics have larger windows? The G43X/G48 and their respectively sized optics also won’t be very competitive in most of our shooting competition sports.

The G43X/G48 are fantastic CCW guns but not great service pistols or competition guns. That primarily means private citizens carrying concealed with small amounts of military special ops folks in NPEs and LE folks too lazy to carry larger guns. There are only a handful of places in the world where private citizens can carry guns for self defense. The USA is, by far, the largest of these places and the biggest market. It’s a market that dwarfs the markets in all the other other CCW permissive countries combined. Few people in the US are familiar with Shield optics as opposed to Trijicon, Leupold, Vortex and Aimpoint optics.
    Glock would be smart to offer a factory mounted dot on a pistol like Sig does and potentially set up distribution/importation of the RMSc into the us until they have a better network. Off rsr it on sale on their web store or something.

It’s also possible that Shield approached Glock so they can expand more into the US market. My Shield RMS has proven more reliable than 2 RMR06 type 1’s. Each of which cost twice what the Shield did.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    It’s also possible that Shield approached Glock so they can expand more into the US market. My Shield RMS has proven more reliable than 2 RMR06 type 1’s. Each of which cost twice what the Shield did.
    If Shield’s new “Glock” optic proves durable and reliable, I’m all for them expanding more into the US market. I love having options and competition drives innovation and decreases prices. I was only giving my opinion about what I thought would have been a smarter play from a business perspective. I also don’t know much of anything about the actual amounts of dollars involved so YMMV.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Hardly surprising, since the RMR type 1 was not intended for slide mounting on pistols in the first place, a point which a lot of people seem unaware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Hardly surprising, since the RMR type 1 was not intended for slide mounting on pistols in the first place, a point which a lot of people seem unaware of.
    Hadn’t heard that but it’s believable. Of course my two weren’t riding pistol slides. One is in an ALG 6 Second Mount and the other was on a 16” AR. I should t have to buy a $10 plate from companies like Battle Werx for a $600 optic but that’s what happened. And neither optic is used for any work or defensive related stuff.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Shield has been a player in the miniature red dot market before Trijicon. Trijicon's first product was actually a private-labeled Shield product. I also understand that Shield is a current supplier to the British Ministry of Defence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Hadn’t heard that but it’s believable. Of course my two weren’t riding pistol slides. One is in an ALG 6 Second Mount and the other was on a 16” AR. I should t have to buy a $10 plate from companies like Battle Werx for a $600 optic but that’s what happened. And neither optic is used for any work or defensive related stuff.
    In the mid 2000s Trijicon heard about US SOF rigging mini red dots (Docter optics) to the top of ACOGs. Trijcon created an ACOG with a Doctor on top for US SOFthe ECOS) and then released "The Trijicon Red Dot" sight which was a re branded Shield. Both had durability issues so Trijicon developed the RMR (Ruggedized Minature Red Dot sight) as a replacement mini red dot sight for the ACOG.

My understanding is the Leupold Delta Point and it's successor, the Delta Point Pro were also originally developed as mini red dot back up sights for rifles with magnified optics.

It's only in the last couple years we have begun seeing MRDS optics designed to go on a pistol.

User Tag List