Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: .44 Special loads

Made me curious, I was forgetting which bullets I had loaded, they are Hornady XTP 200s. My apologies for getting my wires crossed up. Shows how little Ive been shooting. I had been thinking of ordering a couple things to try, then saw the Hornadys at walmart for about what I could order them for, and no shipping, so...

The reports on leverguns were about both Gold Dots 200 and 210s and XTPs, all seemed to have plenty of positive comments, though its been a couple years since I posted the question I believe.
    Last edited by Malamute; 03-29-2018 at 09:29 PM.

I had good accuracy with 180 and 200gr XTPs. I don't think I ever tried the 240gr in my Ruger.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Finally got to do some shooting today. I fired the .44spl loads I had put together for testing. All from the 3” GP100:

240gr OWC BHN 15 Montana Bullets
    6.5gr Unique (775fps avg)
    7.0gr Unique (841fps avg)
    7.5gr Unique (925fps avg)

255gr Keith 429421 BHN 15 Montana Bullets
    14.5gr 2400 (935fps avg)
    15.0gr 2400 (921fps avg ??)
    15.5gr 2400 (970fps avg)
    16.0gr 2400 (1042fps avg)

240gr RNHP No BHN (Cast 20:1) Matts Bullets
    6.5gr Unique (758fps avg)
    7.0gr Unique (825fps avg)
    7.5gr Unique (877fps avg)

All were shot over a LabRadar at 15yds from a supported kneeling position. (I know...not the best. This was off a deck. Usual shooting spot still submergerd by 2’+ of snow.). Not the best groups. Previous work ups using 2400 and Oregon Trail 245gr SWC actually had better groupings but were shot from a table and rest. I did notice a bit of leading perhaps with the hollowpoints. Next round of testing will pay more attention and remember my magnifying glass.

Attachment 24908
    Last edited by entropy; 03-29-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Hmmm...cant post two pics...???
    Attachment 24909

Here'd be a good one to try. Would we be able to get 900-950fps from a 3" barrel? That might be a little tricky but it would likely be a snap from a 5" gun.

http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...roducts_id=316

Had the opportunity to shoot a bit today. I put the previously loaded 250gr cast HP through some water jugs...yea I know... The 7.5gr Unique load opened up about the size of a quarter. Measure and weigh it once I get home. Had fun shooting a 2/3 IPSC steel plate at 100yds using 245/255 LSWC and 7.5gr Unique. Not as much drop as I thought. Basically hold center of the plate and....DONG! Steel is fun. This was all out of the 3” GP100.

A bit OT for the reloading forum, but exceptionally pleased with the Ruger thus far. Bought it as a woods gun, and its exceeded that. Carried it for two days while cutting wood on the back 40 and never noticed it, even wearing protective chaps. It has been my constant carry up north for almost a year now. Dinging that plate at 100yds boosted my confidence in that load a bunch. Would be nice to find a nice carry load. Using a DeSantis Thumbreak Scabbard. It’s what I had on hand and didnt expect a whole lot. It’s surprised me too. I dont think I could ask for a better holster for keeping the gun available but clear of the saw gear.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Had the opportunity to shoot a bit today. I put the previously loaded 250gr cast HP through some water jugs...yea I know... The 7.5gr Unique load opened up about the size of a quarter. Measure and weigh it once I get home. Had fun shooting a 2/3 IPSC steel plate at 100yds using 245/255 LSWC and 7.5gr Unique. Not as much drop as I thought. Basically hold center of the plate and....DONG! Steel is fun. This was all out of the 3” GP100.

A bit OT for the reloading forum, but exceptionally pleased with the Ruger thus far. Bought it as a woods gun, and its exceeded that. Carried it for two days while cutting wood on the back 40 and never noticed it, even wearing protective chaps. It has been my constant carry up north for almost a year now. Dinging that plate at 100yds boosted my confidence in that load a bunch. Would be nice to find a nice carry load. Using a DeSantis Thumbreak Scabbard. It’s what I had on hand and didnt expect a whole lot. It’s surprised me too. I dont think I could ask for a better holster for keeping the gun available but clear of the saw gear.
    Thanks for your thoughts on the 3" GP100. This gun has intrigued me since it was introduced especially since I love my 4" .357 that I bought new in 2014.

I have really enjoyed this thread. Over the past few years Elmer Keith has been some of my favorite reading material. In my 6.5" S&W 29-2 I have used mild Unique loads with 240gr. LSWCs in both Special and Magnum cases to great effect on paper and steel targets. The Oregon Trail 240gr LSWC has been my go-to as I have not started casting yet. One beautiful aspect of these "mild" Unique loads is that somehow, in my revolver, they have the same POI at least to 25 yards as my H110/240g. JHP loads. With my 29-2. I use a six-o'clock hold on a 25 yard plate rack and this translates to a dead center hold using the top of the front sight blade on an IPSC target at 100 yards.

I agree. There are a number of threads on this subforum and the Revolver sub forum that read like an old dog-eared paperback. I just wish PB dodnt block all the great pics for me.

My GP doesnt seem to like jacketed bullets much. I’ve tried a few, but accuracy isn’t too hot. It could very well be that I havent quite found the powder/bullet sweet spot yet, but to be honest...why bother with that expense when I can shoot cast over Unique or 2400 and get exactly what I need?

I agree on the OregonTrail 240’s. There’s a new box of 500 sitting on the shelf right now along with the remainder of the first. A frequent stop Cabela’s up north has them as a stocking item, so they are handy to keep around. They have a rep for being hard, but shoot clean for me with no leading issues. For pure beauty and cast perfection, you cannot beat Montana Bullet Works though. They make a wonderful 255gr Keith that is about as close to perfection as you get with a cast bullet. Works of art. Same experience on the bullet drop. I had never shot these at 100yds (at most 50) and I had in my mind a Hail Mary football trajectory. Not the case at all.

The GP has been a pleasant surprise. Personally, I think Ruger revolvers border on butt-ugly compared to the smooth, sexy lines of a K or N frame Smith. However, I dont know if I’d have the cajones to carry a nice 4” M29 cutting wood and getting grundgy. I got home yesterday, dropped the trigger group from the GP, hit it with parts cleaner to get the sawdust out, oiled and reassembled. Cant beat that. I have a SP101 snub that has become my daily carry too...much for the same reasons. (Maybe because I’m getting older and lazy??)

Here’s another .44 option. i know Tok has experimented with similar from his. Below is a Matt’s Bullets 250gr Devastator style 250gr again over 7.5 Unique. This is into water jugs...which we all know about...but gives you an idea of perhaps what the slug is capable of.

Attachment 25997
    Last edited by entropy; 05-04-2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Forgot a salient thought...squirrel!

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

Here’s another .44 option. i know Tok has experimented with similar from his. Below is a Matt’s Bullets 250gr Devastator style 250gr again over 7.5 Unique. This is into water jugs...which we all know about...but gives you an idea of perhaps what the slug is capable of.

Attachment 25997

The Montana Bullet Works bullets are pricey but they certainly are nice.

That Matt's cast hollow point looks like a big old wad of chewed bubble gum! I haven't used the Matt's. How does it compare to the GT?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Havent tried the GT bullet. IIRC, they were about the same profile and similar BHN. Nothing compares to the Montana stuff though. It looks like they came out of a CnC machine instead of a mold. They dont offer any HPs though, only solids.

All loading/shooting/testing on hold here for about 3 weeks. Work, kids graduating, college registration, more work...lol. Will try to prep cases, maybe scout a few more ideas. Problem now is I have enough variety to keep me going...but only the time to pontificate. Lol

User Tag List