Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .44 Special loads

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Ordered up some of those Keith-style semi wadcutters and the “elongated wadcutters” from Montana Bullet Works. Also ordered some of the 240gr Lyman hollowpoints that were discussed in the GP100 thread in the revolver forum by Tokarev. This should keep me going for a bit. Will report back.

How does everyone feel on the strength of these GP100 frames? I’m not trying to turn it into a .44mag, but want the most I can get from it. I have some loads that use 16.0gr of 2400 with a 240gr LSWC. Pretty stiff. They are not “every day loads” or even “every day woods loads” for me but specific if I think I will need something more and the Mossberg is too much to carry. It seems the GP frame is at least on par with the Blackhawk frame no? On some other forums there is discussion about shying away from anything above the Pearce Level 2 loads. That seems a bit dramatic to me. I’m not going to be running hundreds of the 16gr 2400s thru the gun.

I also found a nice link to the LASC. There is HOURS of “good readin’ and whiskey drinkin’” articles on this link. The Glen Fryxell stuff is particularly interesting. Enjoy!!

http://www.lasc.us/ArticleIndex.htm

Here are some options if you want to play with cast hollow points.

I've tried a 185gr LSWC hollow point from another company and didn't have very good luck with it. It shot okay but either broke apart or failed to expand when fired into Clear Gel. There might be a magic velocity that gives good expansion but I never found it. I haven't tried the 190gr from GT. The alloy might be soft enough that the bullet will mushroom well at 1000-ish FPS.

GT's 220gr worked well for me and might be the bullet I'd chose as a "field load." I didn't have much trouble getting 1,000 FPS out of this bullet with 2400. In gel we normally saw 20+ inches of penetration. The nose of the bullet is such that it sort of opens and expands but doesn't mushroom. Looks sort of like a church bell when recovered.

GT's 255gr worked really well. 7.5gr of Unique gave me 900 FPS from my 3" GP. In gel the bullet gave us 15 inches of penetration and opened up to look about like a silver dollar. It would probably be a great choice for defense if you were inclined to use handloads for that type of thing.

Down side to the GT's is they're a little soft. I had some leading when getting aggressive with my loads.

http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?m...9ki6264b6h85a4
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-05-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    GT's 255gr worked really well. 7.5gr of Unique gave me 900 FPS from my 3" GP. In gel the bullet gave us 15 inches of penetration and opened up to look about like a silver dollar. It would probably be a great choice for defense if you were inclined to use handloads for that type of thing.

Down side to the GT's is they're a little soft. I had some leading when getting aggressive with my loads.
    The conventional wisdom that a bullet being soft causes leading is pretty well shot apart by a bunch of guys (including at least one long time industry giant) over at the Cast Boolit Forum (misspelling intentional). What they've shown is that bullets that don't fit the cylinder throats because they are undersized and/or improperly lubed is what causes leading. They cast and size revolver bullets to fit those throats and get great results. Another member has a business of reaming and honing those throats to proper and consistent diameters as most factory jobs at this are mediocre to poor. Interesting place and lots to learn from another part of the handgun world.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The conventional wisdom that a bullet being soft causes leading is pretty well shot apart by a bunch of guys (including at least one long time industry giant) over at the Cast Boolit Forum (misspelling intentional). What they've shown is that bullets that don't fit the cylinder throats because they are undersized and/or improperly lubed is what causes leading. They cast and size revolver bullets to fit those throats and get great results. Another member has a business of reaming and honing those throats to proper and consistent diameters as most factory jobs at this are mediocre to poor. Interesting place and lots to learn from another part of the handgun world.
    I did order the GT Bullets in a size that best fit the throats on my GP.

That particular handgun probably has a little bit of construction in the barrel where it is screwed into the frame.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

How does everyone feel on the strength of these GP100 frames? I’m not trying to turn it into a .44mag, but want the most I can get from it. On some other forums there is discussion about shying away from anything above the Pearce Level 2 loads. That seems a bit dramatic to me. I’m not going to be running hundreds of the 16gr 2400s thru the gun.
    I wouldn't think the frame will be an issue. I'd think the weakest part of the gun is probably the thin forcing cone. Still, I doubt you'll wear anything out unless you shoot nothing but Keith loads exclusively.

In my 3" I got close but never loaded all the way to full Keith. Not necessarily out of safety concerns but more out of concerns for unpleasant. I have compact grips on the gun that make for nice carry but they aren't the best when trying to replicate something Elmer would have liked.

On the other hand, Skeeter loads are fine. Still plenty of thump on both ends of the gun but still mild enough to enjoy shooting.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Here’s a short little blurb on leading:

http://www.lasc.us/TaylorLeadingDefined.htm

I appreciate the link for GT. I recall your testing when you got the GP, but the name escaped me. They seem to be the Lyman Devestator design, which is what Matts market as well. The alloy listed had a velocity range, so thats where I will concentrate. I really dont want to start experimenting with powder if I can help it. I have a copious quantity of Unique and would just as well prefer to use that. It will probably be a week or two before everything shows up and I get things loaded. The sweet spot for my gun appears to be .431.
    Last edited by entropy; 03-06-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Site Supporter
    Jim Taylor is one of the very good sources of knowledge on cast bullets. Thanks for that link!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

They seem to be the Lyman Devestator design, which is what Matts market as well.
    Yes. The GT and Matt bullet appear to be the same, or very similar, mold.

Only reason I chose the GT was price.

255 cast hollow point in gel. 44 Mag velocities.

https://youtu.be/Ucb75YccBrQ

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Got my supply of cast bullets on the bench. Now to run up some loads.

The HP will likely get the Unique, the 250gr Keith the 2400.

I ordered up some of the Montana for the .357 as well...2400 those too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    John Linebaugh has mentioned he thought most cast bullets were too hard also. And didnt have very good lube.

User Tag List