Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .44 Special loads

.44 Special loads

This may be better in the ammo section, If so the mods can move it if they feel the need.

I am at a junction in loading my ammo. I have been shooting a 255grn Keith bullet,https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...thentic-keith/ in my R&D and have 2 good loads worked up that shoot very well. Both uses 2400, 17.2 grns gives 1230 fps and 15.0 grns is 1065fps and both loads are 2 inch groups. Point of impact is less than 2 inches difference at 50yds. The pistol is a Ruger GP100 with the 5 inch barrel.

The mission of this pistol and load is Field/walk the dog pistol. Things that might have to get shot, in the most to least likely; In the defensive role, stray/loose dogs, snakes, coyotes, black bear, and thugs. In the hunting role, bunnies*, grouse*, and possibly a whitetail deer. *- I will work up a shot shell that will take these cleanly. If I draw a WY elk tag, the pistol will go with me loaded with the 1200fps Keith load. I used to do all of this with a Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt but my oldest son thought he needed it more than I did.

I feel like anything that needs to be shot whit this deserves the Keith bullet at 1200+fps but wisdom and history says the same bullet at 1000fps is more than adequate for the job. I intend to load both loads and have even bought nickel plated brass to keep them separate. What's all yalls opinion?

I also got some of these in with my last order to work up. The meplat is .400.https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-240gr-owc-pb/
    Any suggestions?

Thanks, Forrest

Site Supporter
    Quite frankly, all that extra velocity does is increase recoil, increase gun wear and inconsequentially flatten trajectory. Any of the large meplat .44 caliber full weight bullets will work just fine at 900 fps and are a lot easier to manage at that level. I'd be shocked if you ever recover even a 900 fps bullet from anything elk size down that's shot from side to side. I've used .44 and .45 SWCs a 875-900 fps to shoot lengthwise through enough deer to know that's a hopeless pursuit. Those big bullets knock a good hole all the way through the critter...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I've read posts from others that a 240gr cast bullet at 1200fps will enter one side and come out the other side of anything that walks around in North America. I haven't hunted enough to say if that completely true but results in gel are showing 30+ inches of penetrations with these loads. For my 44spl load I tend to stay under 1000 FPS and would feel quite comfortable with that even with a 240gr bullet. Unless you simply like shooting hot loads, you could probably bump it the velocity down a bit and still accomplish your goal.

There's an interesting article by John Linebaugh at http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

I have seen my wife shoot two or three mule deer and about eight antelope now with a .45 Colt. The load she has used almost exclusively for seven years now is a 260 Keith slug at 900 fps out of a 4 3/4" Seville revolver. This will consistently shoot length ways and exit on mule deer and antelope at 100 yards.

It kills in my estimation better than a .270 or .30-06 class rifle as it acts a lot like an arrow and doesn't excite the animal. They usually show minor hit reaction and trot off 20 to 30 yards. By then they have leaked so much, they are done. No whistles or bells, just honest consistent performance.

I have used this load on two antelope with exacting results. In my early hunting years I used the same 260 gr Keith at 1,400 fps. out of a dozen antelope and one mule deer I have personally taken I can't see that it stops them one bit better than the 900 fps load.
    When the guy who invented the 475 Linebaugh says that a 260-grain slug at 900 fps is big medicine, I listen.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Will yall two get out of my head. LOL! I have read Elmer Keith's and Skeeter Skelton's writings and along with this Ruger pistol and the lead bullets, it has sparked something anew. I have been giddy launching these big chunks of lead, something I never experienced shooting the .45 colt. Like an old scrooge, I want it all but I guess the good thing about reloading is I can have just about any load in just few minutes at the bench. I will know tomorrow if we drew an elk tag for Wyoming, if we do it will be a September archery hunt. According to the good folk at WY game and fish, the area we hunt is grizzly country(Grays River drainage). My hunting partner seen a "brown" bear from afar the last time out. He didn't want to call it a grizzly because, in his words "I couldn't tell a black bear from a griz if they were sitting side by side in a zoo". Since we are doing this the hard way, we would be packing out the meat on our backs and I don't want to run into a hungry bear with a 90 pound elk ham on my back, hence the want for the heavy load. I think for the most part, I have known I would settle on a good bullet around the 1000 fps mark for my neck of the woods but I needed to hear it out loud. This has been a fun process so far. I am considering picking up the 3 inch barreled model to go with my 5 inch Thanks for letting me ramble and rant even if it is incoherently. As always, I know I don't know everything, so I am open to comment, suggestions and opposing veiwpoints.

Thanks, Forrest

I've been down this road toying with my .45 Blackhawk loads and really want one of the Ruger "No 5 for the broke guy" Bisleys. I think the classic Keith load for .44 will do just about everything you could ask of a handgun. IMO I would trust it and adjust the load up or down depending on the accuracy and recoil tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

When the guy who invented the 475 Linebaugh says that a 260-grain slug at 900 fps is big medicine, I listen.

Okie John
    Great read, thank you.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 02-21-2018 at 08:52 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

There's an interesting article by John Linebaugh at http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

Okie John
    Thanks, that was a good read. I used some of his data when I started with the .45 colt. I eventually settled on the 250 grn Nosler sporting handgun bullet and H110 powder close to 1100 fps. That load took several deer and I never recovered a bullet. Sadly, I could not find an affordable S&W model 25 to continue down that road and I didn't want to go back to a single action nor did I want a heavy Redhawk . I was actually slumming used gun stores for a 25 the day I stumbled across this Ruger.

I'm not arguing with John Linebaugh, but my .44 magnum and .45 Colt loads are ballistic equals when loaded with H110 and 250gr bullets. I don't think I've gone beyond starting loads with the .45 because it's got plenty of juice at that level.

Montana Bullet Works casts great bullets.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter

Okie John
    This Linebaugh article from years ago is what started me down the road of a very moderate load in .44 Special and .45 AR to kill deer. It simply works.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    This Linebaugh article from years ago is what started me down the road of a very moderate load in .44 Special and .45 AR to kill deer. It simply works.
    Oh, do tell. My M22-4 needs a job.

User Tag List