Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: .44 Special loads

It is quite interesting to me that there are so many published loads that exceed SAAMI spec and yet SAAMI has never done anything about it. The 44 Special really needs a modern "+P" spec.

Coated bullets for the Special

I've kicked this one up from the grave because I am looking for a good general purpose load using coated bullets. Now that I am feeding 2 .44s, it is getting expensive feeding them lead from Montana Bullet Works. I have been looking at SNS casting and Missouri Bullet company for some ideas and am thinking about running something around 200grns around 900fps +/- on both. The primary purpose will be for making holes in paper and maybe a rouge bowling pin or 3. I will leave the hunting and woods carry duties to the Montana bullets. I have never had any dealings with coated bullets before so I am asking for any advice that can be offered, especially the 'don't do this' category. The powders I have to work with are 2400, Unique, Power Pistol and a dwindling can of HS7. I have good data for the Unique and Power Pistol.

Thanks, FES

Oh, P.S. Has anyone ever played with round ball loads? A .430 round ball on top of 5grns of Unique for bunny farts sounds fun. None of this 2 balls one shot bs.

Site Supporter
    @FES313- I haven't used any bullets from SNS, but I've used coated bullets from Missouri Bullets in 9x19 and .38 Special with good results and wouldn't hesitate to use their .44 bullets.

7 grains of Unique gave me ~900 fps with a 200-grain Nosler JHP from my M21-4. I'd try that or a bit under to start and see how your gun likes it. I've loaded 200-grain RNFPs over (IIRC) 4.5 grains of Clays with similar results. Power Pistol might work too, I haven't tried it. I'd stay away from 2400 in a load that light, too much unburnt powder.

I’ve shot a fair amount of the SNS coated 240’s in several .44 mags. They shoot fine, no leading at the moderate velocities I’ve been trying, roughly 850 to 1100 fps. Red Dot, Universal and Power Pistol have all worked well. Red Dot has been the most consistently accurate in all my guns. I’m using about 6.5 grains of Red Dot in my magnums. I haven't loaded any .44 specials in a while, but have seen people recommend Red Dot in the 5.0 to 5.9 range with a 240 grain lead bullet in the .44 special.
    Last edited by LtDave; 03-07-2020 at 09:52 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

In my Ruger Lipsey Blackhawk 44 Special, I like a hard cast 250gr Keith over 8.5 gr Power Pistol for a nice lower pressure 1000 FPS load as per the Brian Pierce article. More than enough poop for anything I will encounter in the woods here in Idaho.
    Last edited by 4given; 03-08-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    In my Ruger Lipsey Blackhawk 44 Special, I like a hard cast 250gr Keith over 8.5 gr Power Pistol for a nice lower pressure 1000 FPS load as per the Brian Pierce article. More than enough poop for anything I will encounter in the woods here in Idaho.
    That's how I roll as well.

Great utility.

The thread is a little old, but it seems to be the place to ask.

I recently picked up a Smith 624 and I would like to push 240-260gr SWCs at about 900-950FPS. To that end I have a bunch of Starline brass and some Rimrock 260gr Keith SWCs coming. My gun is a 6.5” model. I have Unique, Win 231, Titegroup, and CFE Pistol on hand. I would prefer to use Unique.

What I would like some assurance on is pressure. I cannot seem to get a straight answer from Google, but I gather the Skeeter load of 7.5gr Unique is probably in excess of the SAAMI spec for .44 Special. I also gather that the spec for this round is quite conservative so as to avoid blowing up guns of lesser construction. However, a lot of the discussion about these hotter loads being safe seems to involve heavily built Rugers.

My first question is whether these more stout .44s will be safe in a 1980s-mfg Smith and Wesson 624.

Second, to try to cheat my way there: I was planning on doing a ladder of 6, 6.5, 7, and 7.5 grains to find my velocity. Is that a safe assumption to get me to 900-950FPS with a 6.5” barrel?

Site Supporter
    That load of 7.5 grains of Unique under a 250-260-grain LSWC was developed in S&Ws. I'd be comfortable running it in a 624.

That said, I'd follow your plan of working up to it. You may find that a smaller charge would be more accurate.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

With a 6.5" barrel, it should not be too difficult to reach 900 FPS. Modern S&Ws are not weak guns. You are very unlikely to see any issues involving pressure that would be of concern in regards to the structural integrity of your N Frame.

User Tag List