Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5", Barrel, 6 Screw M&P

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Leave it the way it is and use that money to go back and buy the other 2 revolvers. Go right now or they will be gone.
    Nah, they've been there for 6 months and nobody wants them. If you do, I'll pass contact info along.

Original finish was probably kind of a semi-gloss with a brush "grain" visible. Glenrock "factory finish" is 400 grit.

A reblue from somebody like Ford's or Glenrock will cost you as much as you paid for the gun. Plastic grips copying the old hard rubber are about $35 from Vintage grips, now owned by Triple K.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    The sights are pretty much unusable as the blade is super thin, and the rear notch is tiny. Even in the bright light of day it is difficult to make them work.
    Yep, they made them better in the late '20s.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I wouldn't refinish. You'd be paying money to depreciate the gun. I'd shoot the occasional wadcutter through it and mostly enjoy it as it is.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    Nah, they've been there for 6 months and nobody wants them. If you do, I'll pass contact info along.
    I already have a 4inch that is just a little newer. I has a sn of 39xxxx so is one of the heat treated ones. I mostly just sits in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I wouldn't refinish. You'd be paying money to depreciate the gun. I'd shoot the occasional wadcutter through it and mostly enjoy it as it is.
    Best, most succinct explanation I've heard. Thanks in advance for saving me a lot of words the next time I have to 'splain to someone WHY they shouldn't refinish the heirloom they inherited that has years of 'honest' wear.

-Rainman

Leave it as is and enjoy it for what it is; a piece of American history.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Genuine question: Even if Turnbull Restoration does the job?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Good question, but I believe you can likely acquire an excellent specimen for less than it would cost to get a Turnbull restoration. It may be feasible if it has personal, family or historical significance or is a rare variant.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    With a Turnbull piece you may actually be able to get your refinishing costs back out of it, or close to it, as long as you can document it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List