Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 pocket bugs

.380 pocket bugs

Name:  EE1F721F-39A4-497C-8CDA-CF93888E6B92.jpg
Views: 5129
Size:  38.0 KB

After three months of carrying a 337 PD as a pocket carried bug, I decided to evaluate some semi-auto options. I would prefer a G43, but that doesn’t work for my pants in lower 48. That got me looking at .380, and I have been evaluating the LCP Custom, Kahr CW380 and the G42. These are bug not primary pistols.

1) Kahr CW380. I got this because of the favorable review on TFB and JodyH’s experience. I figured it would be pretty good, if it ran, and my experience is Kahr pistols are hit and miss in the reliability department. In terms of reliability, I have fired 200 rounds of various ammo so far, without a single issue, except using the slide stop to drop the round on round one of certain JHP loads (works fine sling-shotting the slide). I have tested PMC and Lawman ball, HST JHP, and Underwood loaded with the 90 grain XTP.

While I was pleasantly surprised by the reliability so far, there were a few things I didn’t anticipate. I have to be careful not to get slide bite with a high grip, and I am sporting some slices at the base of my right thumb to remind me of this. Also, the sights are quite small compared to what comes on a PM9, and I didn’t realize when I ordered it, that it did not use the PM9 sights.

2) Glock 42. I traded in an early 42 for a recent manufacture one, and so far I am thrilled. The trigger is much improved, and I believe it incorporates various improvements by Glock over the past few years. I am still waiting for Amazon to bring my Ameriglo sights for it, although I recently installed a Talon grip. It is just wonderful to shoot in terms of recoil impulse, and I would highly recommend this pistol for recoil sensitive shooters. I was only half jokingly asking Gabe whether I could shoot his school test in a class with the 42 out of a JM Kydex pocket holster, with my hand starting in my pocket.

3) LCP Custom. I really like this pistol. Sights are far better than the Kahr, it has been completely reliable, and I can get my hand up high without getting slide bite. I have a Blue Force Gear and JM pocket holster for it.

While I use a variety of ball for practice, I have been carrying the HST or XTP loads in the various pistols. Have been meaning to try the Lehigh penetrator loads, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

While my thinking is still evolving, the 42 is my pick for shootability where my pocket size allows, and the LCP Custom is my pick for smallest possible size. I shoot these enough better than the 337, that I lean toward these semi-autos, without even taking into consideration ease of reloading.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I got one of the LCPs when they first came out and the thing runs like a sewing machine. I recently picked up a pair of the customs but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. My buddy has a 42 and it is very shootable but it's almost the size of a pocket 9mm.

Have you tried the Beretta Pico or Nano at all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been very impressed with the shootability and concealability of the 42. I haven't ran many JHPs through but it has yet to choke on non-Russian FMJ or the Underwood/Lehigh stuff. Paired with a TLR-6 I feel like there is a lot of capability in a wallet sized package for most folks.

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    Have you tried the Beretta Pico or Nano at all?

I've always been interested in hearing about these from a PF member. Google searches show a wide variety of mediocre opinions about them.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 02-20-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Thoroughly test your LCP. I've seen a couple of them start having issues around the 250 round mark for some reason.
    The Glock 42 is a great shooting .380... that's the size of a PM9.
    "My Kahr works, yours might or might not." Not very confidence inspiring, but I'm happy with mine.
    Just say no to the Beretta Nano/Pico, they're a slow motion train wreck. Just when you start to gain confidence in them they take a shit.

Micro pistols are a mixed bag aren't they?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I've always been interested in hearing about these from a PF member. Google searches show a wide variety of mediocre opinions about them.
    JodyH reported his experiences with the BU9 Nano here (spoiler: it didn't work very well): https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....retta-BU9-Nano

As for pocket 380s, I haven't carried my MDE in 4 years......but for the time I was shooting it, I really liked it.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-20-2018 at 08:51 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I have been very impressed with the shootability and concealability of the 42. I haven't ran many JHPs through but it has yet to choke on non-Russian FMJ or the Underwood/Lehigh stuff. Paired with a TLR-6 I feel like there is a lot of capability in a wallet sized package for most folks.

I shot my wife’s P238 yesterday and it was a hoot. Love that little gun, but I don’t want another one, nor do I want a single action. I have an XDs but want a pocket gun in .380 and since I am on a newfound Beretta kick, the Pico has my interest. Hit and miss on YouTube reviews though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

George, here are my thoughts:

G42: Too big to justify .380. I'd rather have a G43.

Kahr: Small enough to justify .380 but I don't trust the brand.

LCP: Also small enough to justify a .380. I wanted to hate this fugly cheap little gun, but it turns out I shoot it pretty darn well. No difficulty scoring Dark on the GW drills cold, and even made a few light runs. I've never had a malfunction. There are millions of these guns out there, so it's a vetted system. The recoil is very predictable, and with a Wolff 11# recoil spring, it's even nicer. I carry Lehigh XP.

Others: p238 is a great little gun, but also too big to justify .380 IMO. Beretta, Taurus, etc: not vetted sufficiently to justify risking problems.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-20-2018 at 09:12 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Hammertime

.380 pocket bugs

I tried many pocket pistols as well.

Kept an LCP with Hogue Handall 2 for dedicated pocket carry. It is well suited for this role. Perfect size and weight. Easy to shoot and mine has been reliable. I did have to shave down the mag release button to keep it from ejecting mags in left front pocket carry.

Kept a brace of G42s because they are so dang reliable, durable and shoot so well but usually carry them in a Vanguard and find them just a touch big for the pocket. I have been favoring the G43 in Vanguard clip lately. The 42 is a great gun though.

Sold PM9 since it was too top heavy and generally heavier than I want for the pocket.

Sold P3AT due to poor reliability after many trips back to factory.

Returned Kahr P380 due to poor reliability.

Returned Boberg arms XR9 due to poor reliability.

Sold Rohrbaugh R9 due to ammo pickiness, 1000 round recoil spring life and overly slippery finish. Super nice gun though. Still a little heavy for pocket.

Traded Sig P290RS: too heavy, really slow trigger.

No lightweight revolver experience.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 02-20-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Tony at JM commented to me a week or two ago, that the 42 is the smallest semi-auto he trusts.

Can anyone refresh me the source of the rubber grip thing I have on the LCP in the initial photo? I got them a year or so ago, based on a PF recommendation, but forgot where from.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List