Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This first shot from a semi goes into the blue?

Site Supporter

This first shot from a semi goes into the blue?

So I get my copy of Shooting Illustrated in the mail and they have an article on the new Ruger Security-9 pistol. The author is discussing how you can't expect Mercedes-Benz levels of accuracy from an inexpensive gun but it is probably good enough for the archetypal close in self-defense shooting.

However, I found a comment interesting - Beyond 10 yards the groups open up. As often happens with semis , the first manually chambered round often ends up in a different zip code from the rest of the group.

Have folks noticed this. I have to say, I haven't - I manually chamber a round all the time and fire 10 more. If they fly off - it's me.

Thoughts on this or is the some writer hint about the gun? I've read that you have to read subtle hints, at times, in reviews.

I’ve heard people say that the, “manually,” loaded round’s projectile impacts on a different trajectory than the rounds that are, “machine,” loaded.

However, I think it falls into the, “Preoccupation with inconsequential increments,” category. Most folks’ 9 MOA flinch is a bigger issue.

civiliandefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    So I get my copy of Shooting Illustrated in the mail and they have an article on the new Ruger Security-9 pistol. The author is discussing how you can't expect Mercedes-Benz levels of accuracy from an inexpensive gun but it is probably good enough for the archetypal close in self-defense shooting.

However, I found a comment interesting - Beyond 10 yards the groups open up. As often happens with semis , the first manually chambered round often ends up in a different zip code from the rest of the group.

Have folks noticed this. I have to say, I haven't - I manually chamber a round all the time and fire 10 more. If they fly off - it's me.

Thoughts on this or is the some writer hint about the gun? I've read that you have to read subtle hints, at times, in reviews.
    I have noticed this with a M1 Garand, first round manually loaded on my M1 will usually go to about 11 0 clock, when aimed at bullseye, the rest go into bull, never noticed this with a pistol, however, but I suppose it's possible.. Might be interesting to test out with a ransom rest..
    Last edited by ralph; 02-20-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Yes, I've seen this with auto loading rifles. Never observed with pistols, but that's probably due to a good group being 2-3 inches at 25 vs measureing a 0.5 inch group at 100

Rifles with cold barrels it makes sense. In a handgun not so much.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Rifles with cold barrels it makes sense. In a handgun not so much.
    My observation hasn't been necessarily limited to cold bores. I've seen it on "warm" barrels. First shot from a magazine has a different POI

Site Supporter
    Any idea why? Barrel temperature might make sense. How big a deviation?

I have heard this as well. However, it does not seem to hold true for me, as I can't measure a difference.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    My observation hasn't been necessarily limited to cold bores. I've seen it on "warm" barrels. First shot from a magazine has a different POI
    Name:  image000000_01.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  26.1 KB

This was 2 6 round groups fired back to back from different mags. The 2 "flyers" were the first round from each mag/group

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I have noticed this with a M1 Garand, first round manually loaded on my M1 will usually go to about 11 0 clock, when aimed at bullseye, the rest go into bull, never noticed this with a pistol, however, but I suppose it's possible.. Might be interesting to test out with a ransom rest..
    I shot with the Oklahoma National Guard pistol team back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I remember hearing older shooters (guys with multiple trips to Camp Perry under their belts) talk about this with match-tuned 1911 softball guns. I never experienced it personally, but I wasn't a good enough shot to tell.

Given the mad skillz of most gun writers, I'd guess that he/she is riding the slide forward and leaving the piece slightly out of battery, which will cause problems. Tooling marks on a new pistol and improper lube could make things worse.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List