Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump orders bump stock ban

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Or:

2 : a concession to something derogatory or prejudicial ; a compromise of principles

This is what they mean when asking for “compromise.”
    A good compromise leaves both sides feeling dissatisfied. So if there is to be compromise, "they" will need to make a concession.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    A good compromise leaves both sides feeling dissatisfied. So if there is to be compromise, "they" will need to make a concession.
    That's never going to happen.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My point is the US Constitution says "shall not be infringed".
    It's not incumbent upon me to make an argument for anything firearm related, that argument was settled in 1776.
    The onus is 100% on those who want restrictions to make the arguments against.
    If only it was that simple . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

2A could be rewritten: “shall not be compromised”.

Supporting a compromising position is antithetical to supporting the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    From a legal perspective they seem to be a clear attempt to circumvent Section 2.1.6 of the NFA Handbook definition of machinegun as “weapons that shoot, are designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger.” Manual being bolded as they key word that could easily be interpreted as a voluntary actuation of the trigger.
    My biggest concern in this issue is that it is allowing the definition of "machine gun" to be redefined. A bumpstock does not fire more than 1 round with the single pull of the trigger. It allows the trigger to be pulled more rapidly. They don't circumvent any existing law. Changing what is defined as a machine gun could be used as a precedent to ban other things down the road. Binary triggers actually do circumvent the law by that definition, but they aren't being looked at.

I also would like to see bumpstocks divorced from 2A arguments, as they are not themselves firearms, and really shouldn't be protected under the 2A.

All that said, I don't like them, but would not favor them being banned. Others have already made great arguments about why that would be a bad move.
    Last edited by DallasBronco; 02-21-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    “Today, I am directing the Department of Justice to dedicate all available resources to complete the review of the comments received, and, as expeditiously as possible, to propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”
    You are putting a lot of words in his mouth, in my opinion. What he is directing the DOJ to do is to review the laws and establish a position on these devices. That would, in turn, be open to discussion and debate by the congress. He is not directing the DOJ to make a law.

I took that whole section from military arms channels statement. But I do believe if they leave any sort of crack. It will get torn open and exploited.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Just for reference for those of us in tight-leash-marriages:

com·pro·mise
    ˈkämprəˌmīz
    noun
    an agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.
    Compromise is something done when neither side has the upper hand. Why should the side with 80% support feel the need to compromise? To quote a line from Narcos, “Part of being an adult is accepting things that you wish weren’t true.”

Like it or not (and necessary or not) Trump just dropped the equivalent of Little Boy on the bump stock argument. Keep this shit up and either he or Congress will drop Fat Man...

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/02/...gun-purchases/
    Last edited by Sensei; 02-21-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...blicans-419746

Trump will dump the bump and the RKBA whenever it suits him (or he has a random brain fart) as will most of the GOP leadership. They are falling all over themselves to do something in moral panic. Perhaps ditching bump stocks is a good idea (empirical question), maybe raising the age of purchase of a long arm to 21 is a good idea (immature brains - what about the Army and Marines - they have sergeants as cadmium rods for the cortex). However, the idea that these measures might be part of a bargain to support more important expansions of the RKBA - escape the great deal maker because he doesn't care about that deal. The GOP leadership cares only about taxes and Obama care as first priorities. Use the RKBA as a bait and switch for votes. WE are not HILLARY - Vote the lesser of two ...

User Tag List