Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Production rules change

USPSA Production rules change

Kinda surprised this wasn't already posted.

https://uspsa.org/documents/minutes/...%20Minutes.pdf
    https://uspsa.org/documents/minutes/...20App%20D4.pdf

(you may need a login to view those)

So, what happened was, at the last BOD meeting:

"A firearm from the Production list was provided to the group for an indefinite period of time. Included in the group of 12 attendees were: DNROI, a Range Master, and 9 certified CRO or RO. 2 of the 12 answered correctly to whether or not the firearm was in compliance with the Production Division rules, yet no one correctly identified why. Several reviewed factory images of the firearm from the internet. A second firearm was provided, with an obvious external feature difference. The group still could not determine which firearm was legal per the Production Division appendix."

So, obviously, the rules had gotten too convoluted, and needed to be fixed.

After going through the Production rules line by line, they issued a change log that included, among other things, this:

"21.6 - Exchange of minor External components: Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts."

I suspect that this will make some people very happy, some people very angry, and either way Apex sales will go up.

*(The new rules do not go into effect until, if I'm reading things right, May 9th.)
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

We all bitched about it and derailed the thread on Doodie
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

For the hacks and slack jawed yokels like myself, can you elaborate on what that means?

Some aftermarket external modifications will be allowed. It's controversial, there's some logical leaps involved in the reasoning behind it.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Previously only very limited modifications were allowed in Productions. You could replace the externally visible parts only with OEM parts, or OEM parts from another Production legal gun (ie, you could put an extended mag release from a glock 34 on a glock 17)

Now they are saying that any of those parts (Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors) can be replaced with anything we want, including aftermarket parts.

Pretty far away from being "production" (ie off the shelf) guns, but I understand why they did it from a "we have to be able to enforce the rules" standpoint.
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

Quote Originally Posted by archangel View Post
    Previously only very limited modifications were allowed in Productions. You could replace the externally visible parts only with OEM parts, or OEM parts from another Production legal gun (ie, you could put an extended mag release from a glock 34 on a glock 17)

Now they are saying that any of those parts (Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors) can be replaced with anything we want, including aftermarket parts.

Pretty far away from being "production" (ie off the shelf) guns, but I understand why they did it from a "we have to be able to enforce the rules" standpoint.
    So it would be similar to combining ESP and SSP in IDPA, or permitting a "Lite" race gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Some aftermarket external modifications will be allowed. It's controversial, there's some logical leaps involved in the reasoning behind it.
    Honestly, here in the states, where hardly anyone runs a "stock gun", I think this was inevitable...

The reality is that a minor 9mm guns that are lightly customized aren't limited guns or open guns and almost every enthusiast has a somewhat tuned blaster...

Going from +2 to +4 oz above published OEM weight is another important rule change. I'm pleased with the new rules. If I was still shooting a p320, I could use my tungsten guiderod and still have weight to spare for aluminum base pads. Now, nothing really changes for me with the Shadow2 unless I wanted to replace the hammer or trigger.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-20-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

You know what makes me happiest about this? I will be able to use my Gadget and not have to take it off for the match.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    For the hacks and slack jawed yokels like myself, can you elaborate on what that means?
    If you are shooting a CZ or Tanfoglio...keep doing what your doing buying those sinister custom shop guns with aftermarket hammers. No need to get a special permission slip.

If you're a cop, or have kids and are too broke to buy something better, or for some other reason still shoot a Glock....now you can do a few mods to put your gun on par with the metal guns You can use an adjustable trigger like an Apex or Zev. Since it's impossible to shoot fast with a Glock or control recoil because they are so light you can now melt a few fishing weights and stuff them in that grip opening (as long as it stays under 4 oz. over the stock weight). And the biggest competitive advantage....if you shoot a Glock you can now round out the area under the trigger guard to stop Glock knuckle.

"Production" Division now (essentially) means: DA/SA or striker, 10 rounds in a magazine, no comps, no dots, no magwells, no lightning of the slide....
    A71593

User Tag List