Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OpticsPlanet halts sale of standard capacity magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ity-magazines/

Allegedly, this change has to do with local laws, and not with the recent school shooting.
    I asked them, kindly, on social media and they are citing that things leaked prior to a formal announcement and they’re merely following local laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    When there's smoke, there's often fire. But sometimes - smoke is just smoke. We fully understand how the email featured in the article on The Truth About Guns suggests that we may have made a decision to limit the sales of magazines over 10 rounds due to the recent tragedy in Parkland, Florida. Before we go any further, we want to make it clear that our condolences go to the families of all of the victims, and that our hearts go out to a community trying to recover after a senseless event. At OpticsPlanet, we have never used the inflamed tensions and emotions of current events to drive decision making. Our support of the 2nd amendment is made undeniably clear by the products we offer. We are one of the few online retailers who never stopped offering completely legal products such as bump stocks or binary triggers, when many did. We do not raise prices during frenzies. We do, however, follow the laws and make adjustments when legally required. In this case, insufficient internal communication led to a misread message. We are not offering magazines with capacities greater than 10 rounds to the general public due to our location in Northbrook, Illinois, and local laws that limit our ability to sell these. Being an internet retailer serving fifty states can be complex at times, and frankly, our location in Illinois only adds to this complexity. We may not always like the law, but we need to follow it. We own up to the fact that we did not explain this well internally, which led to an unclear message given to the customer, but we can completely repudiate any notion that this is a reaction to any recent event or the political climate. Unfortunately, our loyal customer base is best served by purchasing their magazines from retailers in "free" states. This issue is currently out of our hands. We’re committed to working hard to retain your business for everything else you need.

It's unfortunate that this issue has created so much confusion, and we apologize for not providing clearer messaging in the first place
    We continue to support our passionate customer community as we have for the past eighteen years in every way we can
    Is their response, per a poster on another site I frequent.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 02-19-2018 at 11:13 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I have bought from them for years. Actually bought a couple magpul mags from em. Last time I looked on their sight the inventory was basically non existent on mags. Did not think much of it at the time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I asked them, kindly, on social media and they are citing that things leaked prior to a formal announcement and they’re merely following local laws.

Thanks for sharing that info with us. I don't buy their explanation though. The passage of laws is generally a public matter. If this is a new law, did OpticsPlanet speak out against it before it's passage? Why not put a statement on the website as soon as the law goes into effect? In any case, I look forward to reading their statement, but I expect that it will be a disappointment.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Is their response, per a poster on another site I frequent.
    If so, it is better than I expected, though still an inadequate explanation of what specifically has changed.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

OpticsPlanet is in Cook County. Cook county has the following law, and I can see how it might be problematic for OP. It's not restricted to just possession, and it includes selling or transfer of ownership. What I don't know is if this just recently changed, if there was some court decision that internet sales counted, or if OP got a "knock it off" message.

Large-capacity magazine means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds, but shall not be construed to include the following:
    (1)
    A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds.

Sec. 54-212. - Assault weapons, and large-capacity magazines; sale prohibited; exceptions.

(a)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire, carry or possess any assault weapon or large capacity magazine in Cook County. This subsection shall not apply to:

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    Looks like they’ll be filed in the same category as Cheaper Than Dirt.... never purchase again list. Thanks for the heads up.

What did CTD do?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    What did CTD do?
    Price gouging post-Sandy Hook.

I'm skeptical of their excuse. Will avoid Optics Planet.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    How long has this law been in place? Is it recent or has it been on the books for a long time? Did the law come about before or after they opened for business? If the former, did they consider the law when they opened for business?

too many unknowns here at this point.

User Tag List