Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 300 Blackout Hornady Sub-X in Gel

-- "Light clothing" does not offer much information when projectile testing and is generally a waste of time.

-- "4 layer denim" (4LD) is a much better test of handgun bullet ability to robustly expand than "heavy clothing".

-- When using supersonic rifle projectiles, any cloth barriers are fairly irrelevant and don't change test results.

-- Get some old soft body armor panels and use them to wrap the gel block to contain any projectiles that exit the block.

-- If during a test shot an accurate chrono reading is lost, fire 5-10 shots from the same box of ammo to get an average velocity measurement so you have an informed estimate of potential velocity; note that particularly with rifle loads, sometimes it helps to move the chrono away from the muzzle a bit...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 02-25-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I like 300BLK but honestly prefer it as a rifle using rifle ammo. I think it is probably at its best with 110-120gr ammo at 2150-2350 fps.

Still I do see some practicality to slow and quiet ammo. I'm just not sure we'll get what we are accustomed to seeing from more traditional rifle rounds.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    +1 I am interested in it in full rifle power form as well. Largely for deer hunting. A new load from Federal

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-300-blackout/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The all copper monolithic rounds will do much better as they are designed for those velocities.

These aren't much more than the Hornady and will perform better: https://moamunitions.com/products/30...xpanding-round

Quote Originally Posted by Rockey View Post
    The all copper monolithic rounds will do much better as they are designed for those velocities.

These aren't much more than the Hornady and will perform better: https://moamunitions.com/products/30...xpanding-round
    I'll have to get some of that to try.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

(Grand Island, Nebr.) — A specialized group from the U.S. Department of Defense has purchased an undisclosed amount of 300 Blackout 190 gr. Sub-X™ TAP® ammunition from Hornady® for close quarter operations.

Hornady 300 Blackout features a 190 gr. Sub-X™ (Subsonic eXpanding) bullet with patented Flex Tip® technology, specifically designed to expand at subsonic velocities yet meet FBI protocol.

This cartridge is loaded with a powder that is optimized to provide flash suppression, clean burning yet function in short barrel to carbine length rifles.

The 300 Blackout features proven Hornady bullets, specially selected cases, carefully matched powder and stringent quality control.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Interesting they're choosing a bullet specifically designed to expand for DoD ops.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Interesting they're choosing a bullet specifically designed to expand for DoD ops.
    The US did not ratify that provision of the 1899 Hague Accord, and the Hague Accord only applies in conflicts between other signatories of the Hague Accord. The US has just been playing along with that rule for NATO ammo consistency and funsies, really.

So we're not obligated to follow that rule, and it wouldn't apply in combat against insurgencies anyway.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    The US did not ratify that provision of the 1899 Hague Accord, and the Hague Accord only applies in conflicts between other signatories of the Hague Accord. The US has just been playing along with that rule for NATO ammo consistency and funsies, really.

So we're not obligated to follow that rule, and it wouldn't apply in combat against insurgencies anyway.
    That is my understanding as well....

pat

User Tag List