Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout Hornady Sub-X in Gel

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I’m far from and expert with bullet construction so I’ll ask. Why would it be possible to obtain performance like in the 62gr FBI load but not in 300 blk? I could understand if it was t possible in the subsonic stuff but why not in supers?
    Good terminal performance is available from the Barnes 110gr bullet.

300 Blackout Hornady Sub-X in Gel

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Good terminal performance is available from the Barnes 110gr bullet.
    That’s what I am using. There is also the GMX bullet as well. I would prefer a TBBC type projectile. I’ve seen tests with them first hand and I’m a believer.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I think it is possible but it appears, at least to me, that most .308 bullets loaded in the .300 are made for higher velocity then the .300 is capable of.
    You are right. For the most part it seems as though it’s a light .308 bullet slapped on top. But again I’m no experte but it does seem as though not much has been designed for it from the ground up. But again just speculation on my part.
    Last edited by Mike C; 02-19-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Some of it is market demand I'm sure. If there was a stronger LE interest I think we'd see more barrier blind ammo.

Here's a short thread over on 300BLKtalk. This one is with Clear Ballistics gel. No mention of barrier testing.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...f=140&t=101733

Site Supporter
    Thank you very much for doing the test and posting your results.

Based on the results of the "through clothing" tests, what if any conclusions can be drawn? Too much penetration/not enough? Bullet not retaining its material or not expanding sufficiently? To me I guess it looks like it might be a reasonable compromise between noise and performance, but still a compromise.

Can it be said that this bullet offers better penetration through barriers than pistol bullets but less expansion?
    Last edited by Robinson; 02-20-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Thank you very much for doing the test and posting your results.

Based on the results of the "through clothing" tests, what if any conclusions can be drawn? Too much penetration? Bullet not retaining its material or not expanding sufficiently? To me I guess it looks like it might be a reasonable compromise between noise and performance, but still a compromise.

Can it be said that this bullet offers better penetration through barriers than pistol bullets but less expansion?
    I think the benefit to the 300BLK subsonic/suppressed is extended range performance. Can a suppressed handgun be used to effectively engage targets at 100+ yards? In the rights hands? Yes. In average hands? Nope.

A 9mm carbine will change that and allow for accuracy at 100 yards easily enough. The down side here is engaging targets at 200+ yards. Can a 9mm carbine be used effectively at these ranges?

300BLK subsonic isn't going to work well at 200, either. But a quick change in mag/ammo will rectify that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I wonder how they would perform with the plug removed?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I wonder how they would perform with the plug removed?
    That's an interesting question.

This coming weekend I'll try to shoot another one or two through glass. See if I can't expand the sample a bit. I suppose I should also shoot a couple into bear gel to get an idea of what the bullet is capable of under ideal conditions. But I doubt I'll see anything different from what's already posted on the Hornady LE website.

Okay. Two more through glass and into gel covered with light clothing. One bullet went about 9 inches and came out the side of the block. The bullet was found probably 6 inches away. That bullet now weighs 153.5 grains and mushroomed well.

The other bullet penetrated to 15 inches and weighs 167.3 grains. It doesn't look very pretty but I think it would have done the job.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 02-24-2018 at 07:17 PM.

"I like 300BLK but honestly prefer it as a rifle using rifle ammo."
    This.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List