Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout Hornady Sub-X in Gel

300 Blackout Hornady Sub-X in Gel

This may be more applicable on ar15.com or m4carbine.net but I know there is at least a handful of people here who are interested.

This morning I loaded everything up and headed for the hills to try out the new Hornady 190gr Sub-X 300BLK in organic ballistic gel. I wanted to try the new bullet through FBI spec clothing as well as through auto glass.

I used VYSE gel that was calibrated with a BB traveling 581fps. The BB penetrated right where it was supposed to so I didn't take any additional BB gun shots.

The ammo used was actually the TAP version of the new Sub-X load. But I called Hornday Customer Service and the fellow I spoke with told me the TAP load is the same as the civilian stuff.

Now before I get too far I want to warn you that my windshield test probably isn't going to be up to FBI standard. I used a windshield from the junk yard and leaned it back at a 45° angle but didn't turn it at 15° as is called for. The windshield was already curved across its face so I just shot it straight on as best as I could. Was I shooting at 15 degrees? I'm not sure.

Also, given the height of the windshield and the little table I had to set my gel on, I wasn't able to chronograph the windshield shots. I did chronograph the shots through clothing however. More on that in just a minute.

I fired two rounds through auto glass at the block that was covered with layer of cotton t-shirt as well as cotton shirt--FBI light clothing. The gel and clothing layer was set 18" back from the target area of the glass. One bullet was recovered without issue and stayed in the block. The other went low and exited out the bottom corner of the block. It was not recovered.

Here is the bullet recovered from the glass test. It mushroomed well but lost about 30 grains of weight. Penetration was 11.75 inches.

Next up were two rounds through denim covered by insulation and two layers of cotton--the FBI heavy clothing spec. I did chronograph the shots through clothing but only was able to capture velocity for one bullet. That reading was 1,096 fps.

One bullet through clothing sort of tore rather than mushroomed. It lost about 30 grains of weight and penetrated to 17.25 inches.

The other bullet through clothing shed most of its nose and lost quite a bit of weight. As a result the penetration was only 14 inches.

Here are both bullets recovered from the clothing test. The bullet that shed the most weight is on the bottom.

Misc crap from the wound tracks.

The bullet that shed its nose has a small "finger" on one side. Not counting that little wing, the bullet has a diameter of .331 inch.

The bullet that penetrated the deepest and retained more weight is .529" at its widest.

And, finally, I tried to chrono an additional four rounds to get at least some sense of the average velocities. I only caught one additional reading. That was 1,077 fps.

The rifle used was a Ruger SR556TD. 1X7 twist 16" barrel with my AAC 762-SDN-6 attached.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 02-19-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Not to bad result, nice testing, thanks for the info...

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Not to bad result, nice testing, thanks for the info...
    Yeah not a bad outcome considering we're shooting a big long rifle bullet at pistol velocities.

I wish I'd been able to catch that other windshield bullet. Maybe I'll repeat the testing next weekend. Hopefully my chrono will be more cooperative as well. I think it has something to do with the angle of the sun that makes it hyper finicky.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have to wonder what Speer has up its sleeve. Can a plated Gold Dot bullet be made that will work through various barriers and still be subsonic? Rainer has tried but with minimal success.

The one through the auto glass did pretty well, all things considered. The other through the clothing kind of confirms my feelings, pistol bullets at pistol speed and rifle bullets at rifle speed.

I think I'm going to get out of the .300 BO and sell my pistol upper.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The one through the auto glass did pretty well, all things considered. The other through the clothing kind of confirms my feelings, pistol bullets at pistol speed and rifle bullets at rifle speed.

I think I'm going to get out of the .300 BO and sell my pistol upper.
    I like 300BLK but honestly prefer it as a rifle using rifle ammo. I think it is probably at its best with 110-120gr ammo at 2150-2350 fps.

Still I do see some practicality to slow and quiet ammo. I'm just not sure we'll get what we are accustomed to seeing from more traditional rifle rounds.

First of all @Tokarev great info and thank you. Secondly I agreed and definitely prefer the 300 blk with supers but it is good to see sub type expanding bullets. Options are good.

On another note Tokarev, it will be interesting to see what else might become available. Especially with what has been learned over the years. It would be awesome to see TBBC performance in a 300 blk in super or sub capability. Not that I’m holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    It would be awesome to see TBBC performance in a 300 blk in super or sub capability. Not that I’m holding my breath.
    I'm just not sure we can ever get there with conventional lead core/copper jacketed bullets. These bullets from Hornady are probably about as good as we'll get. At least without getting some super complicated expensive bullet that's $2.00 or whatever per projectile. No, thanks.

With that said, I'm told bullets from Outlaw State Bullets http://www.outlawstatebullets.com/2.html work well in 300BLK.

I’m far from and expert with bullet construction so I’ll ask. Why would it be possible to obtain performance like in the 62gr FBI load but not in 300 blk? I could understand if it was t possible in the subsonic stuff but why not in supers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I’m far from and expert with bullet construction so I’ll ask. Why would it be possible to obtain performance like in the 62gr FBI load but not in 300 blk? I could understand if it was t possible in the subsonic stuff but why not in supers?
    I think it is possible but it appears, at least to me, that most .308 bullets loaded in the .300 are made for higher velocity then the .300 is capable of.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List