Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of suppressors - AR specific

Current state of suppressors - AR specific

Since I know a lot of people get wrapped up in semantics, let me first say...

When I say "AR specific" I don't mean that only are to be used on an AR, but more that they are often used on ARs, or if a multi-purpose can one of the uses may be to install on an AR. Caliber is irrelevant in this case except to eliminate rimfire or pistol cans pressed into 300 BLK subsonic-only use, etc. We are talking here about centerfire rifle cans that might see use on a (typically, anyway) 5.56, 7.62, or 300 BLK AR15 pattern rifle.

The Silencerco "rumor" thread, along with all of the "I knew that was going to happen" replies, along with some folks opining as to what other folks should buy and other folks feeling the need to defend their purchase, has me wondering what the group's thoughts are on the current state of AR suppressors. There appear to be a whole bunch of new brands out there that I'm not familiar with, although several of them seem to involve people who may have had runs at other manufacturers previously.

So what's happening out there in the world of the AR suppressor? What's the new hotness? What's the old standby? What's the cutting edge? What's the bleeding edge? What's failing or proving to not be all it was hoped to be?

My SilencerCo Omega is proving to not be all it was hoped to be. It's a very flexible system (7.62 and 5.56mm), but the mount module comes loose from the can. The mount itself is ok, but easy to attach while not fully tight. I'm much happier with my SureFire and Thunderbeast cans. Far higher quality--but also higher cost.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Here's been my criteria for an AR can for awhile now. I'm not aware of anything to have changed my thoughts on this, but I've also not been tracking the market. I'm betting you can beat the weight by a lot these days.

• <7"
    • <16 oz
    • 1.5" OD
    • 5/8x24 brake and hider mounts
    • 1/2x28 brake and hider mounts
    • company in business >5 years

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Here's been my criteria for an AR can for awhile now. I'm not aware of anything to have changed my thoughts on this, but I've also not been tracking the market. I'm betting you can beat the weight by a lot these days.

• <7"
    • <16 oz
    • 1.5" OD
    • 5/8x24 brake and hider mounts
    • 1/2x28 brake and hider mounts
    • company in business >5 years
    https://www.silencershop.com/silence...rd762-qd.html?
    #RESIST

Current state of suppressors - AR specific

I am not too current on all the cool new cans with all the modularity and stuff. But I have a Thunderbeast Ultra 5, and it is amazing. It weighs in the single digit ounces, makes my rifles quiet, and is extremely repeatable. I know that they’re more associated with the precision rifle crowd, and I certainly use mine as such. But I have used it on a number of 6.8 and 300blk SBR’s, and cannot figure out how there could be much out there that offers more. I guess maybe if you shoot really high volume for a really long time you might need a full auto rated can. Prepare for a lot more weight if that’s what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crews; 02-20-2018 at 12:23 AM.

Anyone have a Larue Tranquilo?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'm never really wanted a 5.56 quick attach can, but the YHM Turbo is very tempting, especially for the price that Hansohn Brothers is currently selling them. https://hansohnbrothers.com/index.ph...product_id=581

It checks a lot of boxes: durable materials/construction, good sound reduction for its size/weight, and a threaded taper mount attachment system that uses coarse threads and a taper for alignment and to seal the threads from fouling.

User Tag List