Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Had a kaboom with my Beretta APX!

Had a kaboom with my Beretta APX!

At the range last weekend with my brand new APX. After putting 175 rounds through it, I had a kaboom. Thankfully no serious injury other than a very sore hand! The grip frame is cracked, and the right side slide lock is bent, not sure what other damage is done internally. After it happened, I started looking at some of my brass, and it was bulged at the bottom(see pic). I was using brand new PPU 124 grain FMJ NATO.

The gun is on its way back to Beretta right now, so I'm interested in what they have to say. I'm thinking it was firing out of battery, what do you guys think?

Name:  apx kaboom.jpg
Views: 5625
Size:  32.6 KBName:  apx kaboom.jpg
Views: 5625
Size:  32.6 KBName:  apx crack.jpg
Views: 4562
Size:  35.9 KBName:  apx bulge.jpg
Views: 4410
Size:  26.4 KBName:  apx internal.jpg
Views: 4443
Size:  34.3 KB
    Last edited by Hemifender; 02-19-2018 at 02:33 PM.

What does the primer strike look like?

It seemed a little bit more shallow than on the cases that weren't bulged. I should also say that i looked at some of the brass after the first 4-5 mags and did not notice any bulge, so it started bulging after that.

Site Supporter
    If all the brass is bulged, I would question the feed ramp or the ammo. Did the pistol recoil like the ammo was overly hot? I wouldn't shoot any more of that ammo until you hear from Beretta. You could also send those pics and the ammo lot # to PPU and get their feedback.

I realize you no longer have the pistol, but it would have been nice to take a pic to show how much case is exposed by the feed ramp when a loaded round is in the chamber (with the barrel out of the pistol). Did you save some of the bulged brass?

Before this happened, I had just remarked to a friend of mine how soft and flat shooting the pistol seemed. It didnt feel like the ammo was hot at all. I still have the bulged brass, and I'm not shooting anymore of the ammo until I hear from Beretta for sure. I put a round in the barrel when I got home, and it seemed to me that quite a bit of the case was exposed, but I forgot to take a picture.

Glad you're ok. I just purchase a case of that from SG. Got a lot#?

Lot #1708. I'm really thinking this wasnt the ammo. I talked to Sam at SG and he said he's sold over 1500 cases of it and never had any issues whatsoever. I know anything can happen, but I've shot thousands of rounds of this stuff, and never had any problems either. None of it felt hot, and I honestly didnt feel any difference at all from round to round.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemifender View Post
    Lot #1708. I'm really thinking this wasnt the ammo. I talked to Sam at SG and he said he's sold over 1500 cases of it and never had any issues whatsoever. I know anything can happen, but I've shot thousands of rounds of this stuff, and never had any problems either. None of it felt hot, and I honestly didnt feel any difference at all from round to round.
    Mine is 1706. I was breaking in my CW9 the other night with it and it felt about the same as some +P 124 HST I had in my bag, but not obnoxious.

Thanks for the info, and again I'm glad you're OK.
    Last edited by 396; 02-19-2018 at 03:24 PM.

After reading your post I checked my APX and compared it with a Glock and CZ P10C for how much slide movement toward the rear it could have and still fire. They all seemed very close to each and the Glock may have been the farthest slide movement but I don't have a clear way to measure it by myself so it is still an estimate.

I then removed the barrel from each gun and dropped in a 9mm cartridge. This was a little more telling to me. The Glock which is known for not having a fully supported chamber near the feed ramp seems to have even more support than the APX. It may also be that the APX chamber has more of the cartridge not fully enclosed in the chamber all around the cartridge than either the Glock or the CZ P10C. Here are some pics for comparison.
    Name:  CZ and glock 1.jpg
Views: 4252
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  CZ and glock 2.jpg
Views: 4269
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  CZ and glock 3.jpg
Views: 4206
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  Glock and APX 1.jpg
Views: 4341
Size:  27.4 KB

Name:  Glock and APX 2.jpg
Views: 4389
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  Glock and APX 3.jpg
Views: 4398
Size:  27.2 KB

The top 3 pics are Glock and CZ and the bottom 3 are Glock and APX.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemifender View Post
    It seemed a little bit more shallow than on the cases that weren't bulged. I should also say that i looked at some of the brass after the first 4-5 mags and did not notice any bulge, so it started bulging after that.
    Was it centered?

User Tag List