Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First USPSA Match

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    As a general rule when shooting minor PF you need a lot of A's. A fast C at major PF is going to beat a slower A a lot more often than in minor. If you stick with it you'll learn what types of stages you can hose and what stages you need to get those A's on. That comes with time and experience. For now just shoot against yourself and improve all of your fundamentals. Shooting from concealment isn't as bad as it seems in the grand scheme, an extra half second on your draw and a reload or two isn't going mean much until you get up into the A and M classes, then it will. I do believe that Mr. Gabe White made it to Master class shooting from concealment with all his gear. Have fun with it, that's what it's for.
    Gabe White is indeed my inspiration for participating in USPSA concealed. It’ll be interesting to see where I classify whenever a classifier match does come up. I am just having fun and trying to compete against myself. I’m starting to see just how good of a litmus test USPSA really is.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

You can shoot the easier to setup classifiers in private practice and see where your scores fall to get an idea. Pick 3, score them in practiscore a few times, and slap your hit factor into a calculator (AZS Calc on Android, the USPSA website, wherever). I also think Practiscore automatically shows what class you scored in but I either broke that feature or they broke it in the most recent version.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Good job!!

Feel free to hit me up if I can ever help!

There are some tricks to "moving faster" - mostly around "moving efficiently", but that's a different topic.

Try limited minor if you don't want to keep reloading...

First USPSA Match

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Good job!!

Feel free to hit me up if I can ever help!

There are some tricks to "moving faster" - mostly around "moving efficiently", but that's a different topic.

Try limited minor if you don't want to keep reloading...
    Maybe this is a stupid question or I could probably easily do a search on it, but what’s the difference between Production, Limited, and Open and which division makes the most sense for how I would actually carry a G19 in everyday life?

Also, thank you! And I’d be more than gracious to entertain any tips on how I could be more faster/more efficient.

Last edited by spinmove_; 02-19-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Production is production pistols with few allowed modifications (no magwells, compensators, etc), can only shoot minor scoring (A zone hits are the same, but you get less points for worse hits compared to major), limited to 10 round magazines during the stage (you'll need 4 or 5 on your belt as a result). IDPA equivalent is closest to SSP.

Open is anything goes. Major power factor scoring allowed and everyone takes advantage of that. Completely dominated by very expensive custom guns and people that accidentally broke a rule and got bumped into it for a match.

Limited is the same as open only no optics or compensators are allowed (thus the name "limited"). You can shoot either major or minor but most everyone shoots major. That being said while you will have a scoring handicap with a 9mm in limited you can load your mags to capacity so it's typically pretty beginner friendly.

If you're using carry gear and you don't have a lot of mags I recommend Limited. There's no real penalties to changing divisions so if you find production is more your jam down the road it's no big deal.

I didn't read the article fully but this seems to covers the jist of the current divisons: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/choosing-uspsa-division/
    Last edited by Peally; 02-19-2018 at 01:25 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Limited allows you to shoot from appendix or another holster (less restrictions than Production/CO). You can use your regular mags up to 140mm length mags. More shooting, less reloading, less mag pouches needed. You will be at a disadvantage shooting minor, and competing with 2011 pistols in major, but it is pretty close to your regular carry holsters and magazine capacity.

Carry Optics and Limited, shooting minor, are my fav USPSA divisions.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Yesterday morning I shot my first USPSA match. I ran it concealed in Production with the following equipment.

G19.4 minor tweaks with Dawson Charger FO sights
    Raven Morrigan
    CCC Versamag Carrier
    Bravo Concealment dual mag pouch
    Magpul 15 rd G19 mags

No function issues. I ended up finishing 74.26% in my division (11th place of 20) and 47.66% overall (37th place of 57). My total time was 100.15s and my hits were 99 As, 1 B, 17 Cs, 0 Ds, and 3 Ms. I did hit 1 NS.

I know I’m at a disadvantage running it concealed, but I’m finding that it’s a good pressure test of how I carry my gun and spare magazine. I definitely need grippier shoes as the ones I wore yesterday definitely caused me to slide around way more than I would have liked.

Given this and seeing the stats of the other shooters, even just within my division, it would seem that I simply need to move and shoot faster. Any pointers on how one would work on increasing speed while maintaining accuracy? Is there any other pointers anyone would suggest deriving from what I’ve provided or otherwise?

Shoot any steel? I shot my first Texas Star earlier in the month and that was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Maybe this is a stupid question or I could probably easily do a search on it, but what’s the difference between Production, Limited, and Open and which division makes the most sense for how I would actually carry a G19 in everyday life?

Also, thank you! And I’d be more than gracious to entertain any tips on how I could be more faster/more efficient.

For your current stated purpose Limited is probably what you want. What @Peally said is spot on.

Just be aware of mixing your goals. If you look at the guys consistently winning level 2 and level 3 matches you'll be hard pressed to find ANY shooting minor, and just about as hard pressed to find them shooting plastic guns, though they are out there. Almost all will be shooting custom 2011s in .40 that hold 19 to 20 in the mag.

But limited is the "easiest" for a new shooter.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 02-19-2018 at 02:31 PM.

So much great advice here already... Once you have the fundamentals of shooting down, you know you can make any shot in the USPSA game. So shoot fearlessly and learn from your mistakes. There was a Ben Stoeger podcast a few weeks ago where Ben said something like: Don't shoot like a pussy, but don't shoot like an asshole either. Shoot like a dick. You know, that guy who finishes first on a tough stage all calm and confident, and you're thinking "what a dick".

Shooting Limited minor is going to be tough score-wise, but that's pretty much your only option for AIWB. Personally, I like Production division, and don't worry too much about the difference in holster position from my carry gear.

About learning to shoot faster while maintaining accuracy: I like Steve Anderson's approach of separating 'accuracy mode' and 'speed mode' in practice. Log your gains in both, and DO NOT try to improve both at once. Be patient. I've found around a 3-6 month lag between working on something really hard in practice and seeing improvements at matches.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-19-2018 at 02:49 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Shoot any steel? I shot my first Texas Star earlier in the month and that was interesting.
    Some, but not a ton. The only steel I’ve really shot is at a GSSF match. So a plate rack and some poppers.

User Tag List