Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First USPSA Match

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    So much great advice here already... Once you have the fundamentals of shooting down, you know you can make any shot in the USPSA game. So shoot fearlessly and learn from your mistakes. There was a Ben Stoeger podcast a few weeks ago where Ben said something like: Don't shoot like a pussy, but don't shoot like an asshole either. Shoot like a dick. You know, that guy who finishes first on a tough stage all calm and confident, and you're thinking "what a dick".

Shooting Limited minor is going to be tough score-wise, but that's pretty much your only option for AIWB. Personally, I like Production division, and don't worry too much about the difference in holster position from my carry gear.

About learning to shoot faster while maintaining accuracy: I like Steve Anderson's approach of separating 'accuracy mode' and 'speed mode' in practice. Log your gains in both, and DO NOT try to improve both at once. Be patient. I've found around a 3-6 month lag between working on something really hard in practice and seeing improvements at matches.
    Well, I don’t carry AIWB. I’m a 3:30-4:00 guy, so apart from magazine capacity I fit into Production just fine.

I remember that podcast though. So maybe I’ll work on shooting like a dick instead of being worried so much about absolute precision.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Just yet, I wouldn’t worry too much about classifiers and getting classified. Shooting classifiers and shooting matches are both part of USPSA, but sometimes can be different.

Also, I wouldn’t worry too much about gear. Limited minor would be a great way to get your feet wet, learn the game a bit, and then you will be better informed about where you want to go with it.

The great thing about USPSA is it provides absolute benchmark data about your shooting, compared to others locally and nationally. It is also incredible fun that others go to great effort to set up challenging shooting problems that you would be unlikely to experience in personal or timmie practice.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I saw on Ben Stoeger’s Instagram page that, at some point, the Major and Minor scoring differences are going away. Any idea as to when that’s happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Good job!!

Feel free to hit me up if I can ever help!

There are some tricks to "moving faster" - mostly around "moving efficiently", but that's a different topic.

Try limited minor if you don't want to keep reloading...
    Take Les up on that offer ok Spin?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I saw on Ben Stoeger’s Instagram page that, at some point, the Major and Minor scoring differences are going away. Any idea as to when that’s happening?

He was trolling, seriously.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Disregard.
    Last edited by taadski; 02-19-2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: What Peally said.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    He was trolling, seriously.
    Lies, Ben Stoeger never trolls

Be careful, it is addictive. I don't get over to your side of the state much, but if I do a match over there this year I will hit you up. I am signed up for Ryan Rocks, and thinking about working the Area 5 championships.

I bet we will be moving to time plus scoring too... [emoji6].

But seriously, minor/major and hit factor scoring are what make USPSA such an excellent sport.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Be careful, it is addictive. I don't get over to your side of the state much, but if I do a match over there this year I will hit you up. I am signed up for Ryan Rocks, and thinking about working the Area 5 championships.
    Oh man, Ryan Rocks falls on my birthday, but also a Friday and I have very limited vacation time this year. I’ll have to see.

User Tag List