Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First USPSA Match

First USPSA Match

Yesterday morning I shot my first USPSA match. I ran it concealed in Production with the following equipment.

G19.4 minor tweaks with Dawson Charger FO sights
    Raven Morrigan
    CCC Versamag Carrier
    Bravo Concealment dual mag pouch
    Magpul 15 rd G19 mags

No function issues. I ended up finishing 74.26% in my division (11th place of 20) and 47.66% overall (37th place of 57). My total time was 100.15s and my hits were 99 As, 1 B, 17 Cs, 0 Ds, and 3 Ms. I did hit 1 NS.

I know I’m at a disadvantage running it concealed, but I’m finding that it’s a good pressure test of how I carry my gun and spare magazine. I definitely need grippier shoes as the ones I wore yesterday definitely caused me to slide around way more than I would have liked.

Given this and seeing the stats of the other shooters, even just within my division, it would seem that I simply need to move and shoot faster. Any pointers on how one would work on increasing speed while maintaining accuracy? Is there any other pointers anyone would suggest deriving from what I’ve provided or otherwise?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Yep, you nailed it — shoot and move faster while maintaining a high level of accuracy. That can be a lifetime pursuit. Welcome to USPSA.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great job on all those Alphas.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks, JHC.

So that’s it, eh? Just work on pushing myself to go faster?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Thanks, JHC.

So that’s it, eh? Just work on pushing myself to go faster?

You need to learn to do everything faster, except unload and show clear. Try to shoot lots of Alphas, but realize the game is scored by hit factor, and nobody cares about Alphas except as a component of hit factor.

Read the rules on the USPSA website.

Ok, so the scoring is hit factor which is Points / Time. So I want to hit as many As as humanly possible, but I don’t want to take an eternity guaranteeing those As. Fair enough. I was already working on pushing myself for speed anywho, this just sort of reinforces it.

On the plus side, since I showed up for this match I discovered this club runs open practice every Tuesday night. And they’re closer than either of the indoor ranges that I frequent. I may have just found my new favorite place to do live practice.

Forget the concept of “guaranteeing” an A, as it will be too slow. Instead, shoot for an A. And, shoot the close targets slow and the far targets fast. The concept is harvesting points as efficiently as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Ok, so the scoring is hit factor which is Points / Time. So I want to hit as many As as humanly possible, but I don’t want to take an eternity guaranteeing those As.
    Stoeger said to shoot at a speed that will give mostly As with some Cs.

It's a balancing act, depending on the stage it can be slightly weighed towards speed or accuracy. The advice to shoot all As with close Cs as fast as you physically can is solid and will serve you well.

As far as how to move faster just literally do that, move faster (while not tensing up and screwing everything up). Learn to pull the trigger more rapidly, look at targets faster, run as fast as you can, etc. If you watch guys better than you on YouTube or wherever and compare it to your own video it'll quickly become obvious where you're losing time and what you need to work on.

Welcome to the best pistol fundamentals test in the country.
    Last edited by Peally; 02-19-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

As a general rule when shooting minor PF you need a lot of A's. A fast C at major PF is going to beat a slower A a lot more often than in minor. If you stick with it you'll learn what types of stages you can hose and what stages you need to get those A's on. That comes with time and experience. For now just shoot against yourself and improve all of your fundamentals. Shooting from concealment isn't as bad as it seems in the grand scheme, an extra half second on your draw and a reload or two isn't going mean much until you get up into the A and M classes, then it will. I do believe that Mr. Gabe White made it to Master class shooting from concealment with all his gear. Have fun with it, that's what it's for.

User Tag List