Thread: Spotting Scope Advice

Question Spotting Scope Advice

I am in the market for a new spotting scope. Here are some functions/uses needed:

Will used for target shooting; not really planning to use it for stalking/hunting.
    Weight is not important so it can be heavy.
    Will be used during full daylight (no dawn/dusk shooting)
    Maximum range shooting is 1200 yards
    Would like to be able to see .30 (.223?) bullet holes clearly (good resolution) up to 200 yards.
    Would like to see a clear outline of an IPSC sized painted steel target out to 800 yards.
    Price: $900-1400. Too low?
    Not sure if I will need 60 vs 80 mm objective and 40x vs 60x.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

I recently bought a spotting scope for the same reasons, and, after a lot of research, I went with a Kowa TSN 82 SV with the TSE-17HD 27x long eye relief eyepiece. Here's links to B&H Photo where I bought mine; they usually have the best price, although Creedmoor Sports also runs good deals from time to time.

The TSN 82SV (and it's predecessor the TSN 81) appears to be the standard spotting scope for high power and F-class shooting; if you look at pictures from the Berger Southwest Nationals match earlier this month you'll see a lot of TSN 82's on the line. The long-eye relief eyepiece allows you to use the scope without leaving the rifle if you have a proper scope stand. The 82mm objective is extremely bright, and the scope focuses down to 20ft if you ever want to shoot indoor small-bore or air-rifle.

I paid $965 for the whole setup, and B&H threw in some nice extras and free shipping.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ing_Scope.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Long_Eye.html
    Last edited by oregon45; 02-18-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85. I use one in PRS-style shooting/competition. Great clarity and relief. Best warranty in the business, as well.

User Tag List