Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm PX4 Compact velocity

9mm PX4 Compact velocity

Are any of you guys concerned about the ballistics from a this short barrel?

Site Supporter
    I am not

Nope. It is the same bbl length as G26, P2000sk, and I presume is longer than Shield, G43 and a host of other popular carry options. Nobody seem to have too many concerns with those. I do make a point of carrying +P but I am not really worried.
    Last edited by YVK; 02-18-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seamastersw View Post

I did a lot of research on this when we started using a SubCompact, as well as a Compact. Bottom line first: concerned? No, But it depends on caliber.
    We have both of these in 9mm. We use a 124grn Federal Premium HST +P. The muzzle velocity starts at 1,200 FPS. According to Federal, this is from a 4" test barrel. Losing approximately 50 FPS/inch puts it at 1,147 FPS from the Sub and 1,165 FPS from a Compact.
    An impact velocity of 1,016 FPS is needed for hydra-static shock in muscle tissue.

Our testing with a heavier 147grn showed poor expansion (comparatively) and the 115grns did not hold together well enough.

HSTs opened and stayed consistent better than Hydr-Shoks, by a large margin.

In .40 caliber, I get concerned about velocity loss in a shorter barrel. 180grn HSTs (for example) are only hovering at 1,000 FPS. That does not have enough to spare for me IMO.

This picture shows some HSTs we tested through layered water jugs. Depth of penetration and shock were recorded. The 9mm was fired through an even shorter SubCompact.

Name:  Test HSTs 9, 124 +P__  .40 180__.45 230 +P (1).jpg
Views: 888
Size:  101.2 KB

Additional note- The PX4's rotating barrel stays locked to the slide way longer that any standard tilt barrel pistol. This will give better velocities with a Storm.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-18-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    An impact velocity of 1,016 FPS is needed for hydra-static shock in muscle tissue.
    Um, that doesn't sound quite right...

Calling @DocGKR - terminal ballistics is kind of his thing, after all.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by seamastersw View Post
    No more than I worry about the velocity loss from 17 to a 19 to a 43... I don't. Mo' betta things to worry about.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

"An impact velocity of 1,016 FPS is needed for hydra-static shock in muscle tissue."
    This is an unusual, as well as incorrect statement.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post

Additional note- The PX4's rotating barrel stays locked to the slide way longer that any standard tilt barrel pistol. This will give better velocities with a Storm.
    I don’t see how it makes a difference. The bullet has left the barrel long before either design unlocks. Can you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I don’t see how it makes a difference. The bullet has left the barrel long before either design unlocks. Can you explain?
    Though the bullet has left the muzzle, the gases are still forcing their way forward against something. When the straight line is not backing gases there becomes a change in pressure direction.

I ran some 124gr +P Gold Dots through the chrono a while back:

Gen 4 G17 - 1223 fps
    Gen 3 G26 - 1150 fps
    PX4C - 1120 fps

The PX4C readings were taken on a different day, but I did not observe a significant difference in the readings of other loads that were measured on both days. I'm not qualified to make any comment on the impact of velocity on effectiveness, just thought I'd share the numbers. It is important to be aware of the short barrel if you're running your carry gun in USPSA, as the Lawman 115gr I shoot most of the time would not make minor in the PX4C.

User Tag List