Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK Backstrap and Side Panel Selection

HK Backstrap and Side Panel Selection

One of the exceptionally nice features of many contemporary HK handguns is how their grip can be significantly tailored to an individual/individual's hands. In my experience, this provides for both accuracy, comfort and index, and can be an excellent means of providing ergonomic integration with the overall pistol.

In my experience with my VP40 and P30L, the key portion of the equation is the initial backstrap selection. HK provides significantly differentiated backstrap profiles, with the differences being in both size and hump placement/presence.

Participants on the HKPro site provided the best backstrap selection guide (HK provides the pistols with the Medium choices installed) : "While leaving the side panels alone, swap out the different backstraps, while trying the following: Look at a target object with the pistol at your chest prior to press-out, close your eyes, and while keeping them closed, press out the pistol to your natural shooting position. Open your eyes and observe where the front sight is vertically. If the front sight is too low, install a larger backstrap and repeat the process. If the sight is too low, install a smaller backstrap and repeat the test. Ultimately, you want the backstrap selection that provides front and rear sight alignment on target naturally on press-out."

That selection process works superbly, in my experience with both HK and Glock pistols. While it requires that the roll pin securing the backstrap be removed, using a correct sized punch facilitates this with little drama, and you really don't need to hammer it out, firm hand pressure normally suffices.

After determining what I feel is the appropriate backstrap selection, I proceed to verify with live fire, both as a zeroing process and in dynamic shooting.

Side panel selection is a bit more nebulous. The one quantifiably discernible portion of the side panel selection equation seems to be regarding lateral accuracy; if the selection "pushes" groups to one side of the target, that tends to indicate that a smaller side panel is desirable, with the key panel being the one opposite the side of the group drift. In other words, if a group is to the left of the target, a smaller Right panel size is indicated. However, beyond achieving natural mechanical accuracy, comfort may be a factor as well, as can subtle differences in respective HK pistol grip area contours.

What I have found is that in addition to mechanical accuracy, the right backstrap and side panel selection serves to seemingly automatically lock my hand in and facilitate my index to the gun very naturally, providing a very fast, natural/instinctive sight and target acquisition on draw and presentation. It can also aid in trigger pull and control of both the initial and subsequent shots.

I mentioned differences in HK pistol grip area contours. In my case, that involves my VP40 and P30L. Wile the VP receiver is very similar to the P30's (and was in fact designed off it), their are subtle differences in the rear tang areas between the two; the VP has a slightly deeper tang, enabling the hand to come up higher and perhaps slightly deeper on the receiver. In practical terms, this means that you may well encounter differences in backstrap and side panel selections with different HK platforms.

In my case, the backstrap selection for both was the Small one-although it was a much more crucial factor with the P30L. While I could fire the VP40 with the OEM fitted Medium backstrap adequately, it was better and more natural, and more accurate (for POI equaling POA) with the Small backstrap; but with the P30L, I found myself fighting the gun with the OEM Medium backstrap-the Small one was absolutely crucial, both from a results and comfort standpoint.

Side panel selection was a bit more of an empirical journey. Initially, after much research (the HKPro forum and Todd's extended P30 test on pistol-training.com provided the best inputs), I went with Small left and right panels, and then switched the left to a Medium (I'm right-handed); Todd ended up with this selection on his P30; initially he was wary that the Medium left panel might constrain his access to the left slide release, but he found that such was not the case, and preferred the Medium left for his support hand. I ran with this selection on both my VP and P30 for about a year. I then decided to re-look the entire backstrap and side-panel matrix. I quickly re-confirmed that the Small backstrap was in fact the ideal selection for me (both the Medium and Large backstraps did not provide the best index and instinctive sight picture/POA/POI results, and the larger (especially the Large backstrap) back strap's hump were very uncomfortable in feel-the hump too aggressively protruded into my palm. If it/they provided improved accuracy, I would have tolerated it (keeping im mind Clint Smith's dictum that "Handguns should be comforting, not necessarily comfortable")-but they didn't, so the continued use of the Small backstrap was a no-brainer.

On the P30L, I found, somewhat to my surprise, that use of the Large left and right side panels provided for a more comfortable, hand-filling and control experience. On the VP40, I found that the Large panel worked well for the left, but the Large right panel tended to push my groups to the left; switching to a Medium right panel provided both center hold nicely centered POA/POI, along with adequately and comfortably filling my string hand palm. I think that the subtle receiver differentiation between the two platforms led to the differing right side panel selections.

When I quantified the HKPro selections among the 39-odd thread parcipants, the most prevalent selections were for Mediums all around (the OEM HK setup), with the remainder pretty much equally split between Large and Small backstraps, and those not choosing the Medium right panel tending to select the Large panel, and those not choosing the Medium left panel tending to opt for the Small panel.

Interestingly, in a March 2013 Gun Tests review of the P30L, they spoke with HK Shooting Team Captain Jason Koon, who specified that his normal preference is for the Medium backstrap, Large left panel and Small right panel. Again, Todd's ultimate selection on his P30 was going with a Small backstrap, Small right panel and Medium left panel.

So-What does all this mean??? Well, I definitely recommend using the HKPro site's selection protocol for the backstrap selection, followed by empirical live-fire testing and verification. For the side panels, I'd probably start with the mediums, and adjust as necessary for windage fall of shot patterns. Accuracy, trigger finger placement and palm fit/control is crucial in side panel selection; don't be unduly surprised if asymmetrical panel selections provide the best results, and don't necessarily assume that works best for you on one HK platform will automatically be the recipe for other HK platforms. I also suspect that differing HK action selections/triggerpull weights between various HKs may dictate different selections as well.

While ultimately it's a highly individual selection process, I'd be very interested to see how and what other p-f HK users came up with as their ideal setup, and what they experienced en-route.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-07-2018 at 02:35 PM.

I run my P30/P30Ls with the small backstrap and large side panels. When I owned my VP9s a few years back I ran the same combo. I’ve got M/L hands. I get more leverage on the DA pull with the small backstrap vs the M. Never even tried the L backstrap. I’m happy with this combo. Fills the hand nicely and it provides the same feel/trigger reach when shooting dominant or support hand.
    Shoot more, post less...

Size 11 bony hands. I run small backstrap and side panels. I like the 1 hand retention this gives me and it works well with or without gloves. Seems to shoot OK.

The default mediums feel best for me on the VP9. I messed around with the smalls and everything for a while before saying eh screw it.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

IMO, side panels adjustment is overated and most would do fine without it.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    IMO, side panels adjustment is overated and most would do fine without it.
    I think you're correct to a point. While the HK system allows for effectively fine-tuning the gun to the individual, quite frankly I shoot my Glocks generally quite well, and most of mine are Gen 3 Glocks, without the adjustable backstraps provided for the Gen4/5 models. The difference is that with the Glocks, I adjusted to the platforms over time, and built up the necessary muscle-memories. With the HK system, the platform can be significantly tuned to the individual, and shooting/muscle-memory build up can be more quickly achieved, although it really didn't take that much time for me to get squared away on my Glocks (most of which are Gen 3 guns, without the adjustable backstraps provided with the Gen4/5 models).

Where the HK system may be most advantageous it with issuing organizations with a multiplicity of individual physiques and hand sizes. Individual and organizational parity and optimal effectiveness can arguably be achieved more quickly, and , for the individuals, with more comfort and a more naturally indexing weapon.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-07-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Thank you JonInWA for all the info and advice! I'm sure I'll be doing some experimenting with the panels on my p30sk and maybe my VP40 when I get around to shooting that some more. This gives me a great idea what to look for in sight picture acquisition and performance with the different panels.

My extremely non-scientific approach has led to using all smalls for the VP9, and small backstrap/large sides for the P30. For the VP, you get flat sides for neutral sight tracking and an overall glock-ish feel. For the P30 I've liked the large sides to stay clear of the slide release and improve the trigger feel (for me). I know of two other shooters on the team using small side panels when running VPs.
    IDPA : A454752
    USPSA : TY91150

For me the "natural point of aim" thing is overrated. Grip angles are different across models and brands, but with some good dry fire habits, you can adjust to them rather easily. I can shoot my HKs and Glocks in the same trip and muscle memory for each requires slightly different wrist angle to accommodate the grip angle...No big deal. 100 presentations will get the gun coming up on target regardless of backstraps....for me anyway...YMMV.

To that end, the real dispositive issue is trigger reach: The P30 grip "feels" the best to me with large sides and a medium back, but I can manipulate the trigger noticeably more efficiently with the large backstrap, so thats how I shoot them. The slightly longer reach puts the break further forward, and I get better torque on the DA stroke. Just is what it is.

While we're on the subject: I think it would be super neato if HK would release side and back panels in different textures: i.e. a carry texture and a competition texture. You could make the gun super grippy, super comfy, or a combo of both (imagine a grippy back and strong-side panel but the panel against you body was smoother. . . ). Yes, this can be accomplished by ordering extras and stippling, but it would be a cool accessory that would highlight the grip system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    For me the "natural point of aim" thing is overrated. Grip angles are different across models and brands, but with some good dry fire habits, you can adjust to them rather easily. I can shoot my HKs and Glocks in the same trip and muscle memory for each requires slightly different wrist angle to accommodate the grip angle...No big deal. 100 presentations will get the gun coming up on target regardless of backstraps....for me anyway...YMMV.

To that end, the real dispositive issue is trigger reach: The P30 grip "feels" the best to me with large sides and a medium back, but I can manipulate the trigger noticeably more efficiently with the large backstrap, so thats how I shoot them. The slightly longer reach puts the break further forward, and I get better torque on the DA stroke. Just is what it is.

While we're on the subject: I think it would be super neato if HK would release side and back panels in different textures: i.e. a carry texture and a competition texture. You could make the gun super grippy, super comfy, or a combo of both (imagine a grippy back and strong-side panel but the panel against you body was smoother. . . ). Yes, this can be accomplished by ordering extras and stippling, but it would be a cool accessory that would highlight the grip system.
    I found that ordering a seperate set of panels and doing them up with the Oregon Trail Defense tips satisfied that need. Not ideal, like you said, but if you aren’t particularly concerned with aesthetics it can be done to your liking in a couple minutes. That’s how I did all my HKs. I think with how Glock went back and forth on grip textures shows it’s probably not worth the investment on the part of the company to go after such a relatively small preference.
    IDPA : A454752
    USPSA : TY91150

User Tag List