Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UBG Holster...Anybody Using Them?

UBG Holster...Anybody Using Them?

I've been looking at buying a couple of these for Walther PPS M2 and USP 40, just wondering what your experiences have been with this maker. Seems like a great deal from what I can tell, but not having handled/used one leaves me wondering...

UBG Holsters, as in "Ugly Bald Guy" Holsters?

My advice is to pass.

I had several back in 2010 and 2011. He refused to put reinforced mouths on mine, stating that the holster will be stiff enough on its own. This lead to the predictable result of the holster mouth collapsing after a few months of use.

Another didn't have acceptable retention, and he argued with me via email that it didn't matter.

Another I ordered for a P2000. The holster left the entire trigger fully exposed. I sent an email with pictures and a polite explanation that I felt it was unsafe, and the template should be modified to cover the trigger guard area all the way back to the mag release. He responded with the following:

Quote Originally Posted by UBG
    I make what I make and won't change it
    He argued with me back and forth a few emails before reluctantly accepting to send me a new one....but not before making some snide comment about how he thought the built quality of my gun was lacking in some way. Something about the molding marks on the plastic trigger "face" where it mates with the metal skeleton of the trigger.

Looking back at my emails, it also looks like I had dye bleeding problems with two of the holsters. He stated that he hadn't had dye issues in 2 years, and that it was the acidity of my sweat which had eroded the layer of acrylic sealant he put on them, and that I should purchase new sealant and seal them. That was total bullshit, since the holsters were brand new and I've never had my sweat rub off the finish of any other leather holster I've ever used.....including ones I actually used for extended periods.

So, yeah, fuck that guy. There's no reason to spend money on clowns like him when you can buy leather from good Americans and solid craftsmen like JRC or 5 Shot Leather (both here on the forum, I own great quality pieces from both), TT Gunleather, Mitch Rosen, Desbiens, etc.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-16-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks for sharing, I will probably just go with Rosen or TT than deal with that sort of drama.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    UBG Holsters, as in "Ugly Bald Guy" Holsters?

My advice is to pass.

I had several back in 2010 and 2011......
    You a glutton for punishment? I’d have said FO after the first one.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    If you want or need anything outside of what he has listed on his site forget it. As TGS pointed out his reply to anything was "I make what I make". My guess is he was shown one way to do it and doesn't know much about building holsters. The one I had was well built and I didn't have any issues with it collapsing (was an IWB) but I don't like a cant on my holsters and he was not willing to build one without a cant.

I had A holster from UBG for my Springfield emp and there was a stitching issue. I asked for it to be redone and no answer. For leather I use JRC, 5 shot, or tt gunleather. I have Too much drama in my life to go elsewhere now a days.

I get awesome leather holsters from 5 Shot, JRC, and Sparks. There is just no reason to deal with assclowns like that guy, Aratoonian, or Rosen.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I get awesome leather holsters from 5 Shot, JRC, and Sparks. There is just no reason to deal with assclowns like that guy, Aratoonian, or Rosen.
    @JAD Just curious what exactly you are referring to with Aratoonian or Rosen? I have not really seen anything negative referencing either of these makers... I also have a belt and holster from Rosen... though I'm not exactly fond of how 'tight to body' the Sport Express holster I have from him rides with my USP 40. Pretty much requires a coat to not print excessively and sort of flops out from the body on a pivot IMO.
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 02-17-2018 at 10:56 AM.

I have a belt and Upper Limit Holster from Mitch Rosen. Both are excellent products.

Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    @JAD Just curious what exactly you are referring to with Aratoonian or Rosen? I have not really seen anything negative referencing either of these makers... I also have a belt and holster from Rosen... though I'm not exactly fond of how 'tight to body' the Sport Express holster I have from him rides with my USP 40. Pretty much requires a coat to not print excessively and sort of flops out from the body on a pivot IMO.
    Rosen and Aratoonian both make excellent holsters; Toon’s boning is literally the best in the world. I own a couple toons and a lovely full rig from Rosen. However, Rosen was a legendary jerk on the phone to several of my acquaintances, and Toon won’t make holsters in the cocked and locked position because he feels they’re unsafe.

Man, I wish Aratoonian would pull his head out. They’re truly choice.

User Tag List