Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Most shootable snub?

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    What grips are on you gun?
    These are Ahrends. But I have Uncle Mikes Boots on them now.

civiliandefender.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I mighta said this upthread a bit, so I'm probably repeating myself here, but I really wish they would do sights like that and no lock like that on a 2.75-in K-frame. Scandium and Ti, call it the 312 Pro. Should come in around 22-23 oz.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I mighta said this upthread a bit, so I'm probably repeating myself here, but I really wish they would do sights like that and no lock like that on a 2.75-in K-frame. Scandium and Ti, call it the 312 Pro. Should come in around 22-23 oz.
    That would require S&W to be responsive to their customers, something they consistently have refused to do.

On the question: I've found the most shootable "snub noses" are the short-barreled K-frames--particularly the 2.5" M66/M19. I prefer those to my 3.5" M27, which, although a true classic, is not as "handy" as the smaller K-frame snub. For the J-frames, in my opinion nothing beats the Centennials in steel with 38spl +P's. If S&W were not so obstinate a company they would have a full line of J-frames with 640 Pro style sights, in varying barrel lengths, with no internal locks.
    Last edited by oregon45; 02-20-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    On the same page, most def. Probably be even lighter though; an old 2" model 12 weighs 19oz..

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    On the same page, most def. Probably be even lighter though; an old 2" model 12 weighs 19oz..
    I'm just guessing, based on the fact that the 315 NG was ~28 oz and the 386 NG with a 7-hole Ti cylinder was ~24 oz.

I said 2.75" based on the discussion in the current M66/69 thread that that is probably the minimum length needed to have a full-length guide rod.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Absolutely. 2.75" > 2" in more ways than just math.

Well I did it! Bought a Kimber K6s with blue rubber grips and 2 inch barrel, yesterday at the LGS. Price was $683.00 and I said "why not!" Has the three dot sights and an action so smooth I was betting the primers wouldn't crush from the firing pin. Serial # for those who are interested is: RV0155XX. Had errands to run today but at 4 this afternoon headed to the outdoor range where the temp was a balmy but calm 18 degrees.

Every cap busted on handloads (CCI) factory 357s, Speer Short Barrel. Shooting steel plates with the Kimber at 15 yds and every round went bang and every plate went clang. Rear sight set in center of rear dovetail and kept the three dots centered on COM of plate. Kimber fits nicely into Galco, DeSantis and Lobo rigs for Detective Special. HKS Speedloaders worked with 38s, and it was a snug fit. I like this gun a lot; found the 357s a handful and the 38+P factory 125s an easy shoot. Shots were well centered on the 10 inch steel plates. Think the Buffalo Bore 158 grain LSWCHP+Ps at 1k fps are a very promising load. No pics yet, got to wait for the camera to thaw out. I don't know if it is the best shooting snubby I've ever owned as an old DS and a 442 come immediately to mind but this one is easy to hit with, quickly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Well I did it! Bought a Kimber K6s with blue rubber grips and 2 inch barrel, yesterday at the LGS. Price was $683.00 and I said "why not!" Has the three dot sights and an action so smooth I was betting the primers wouldn't crush from the firing pin. Serial # for those who are interested is: RV0155XX. Had errands to run today but at 4 this afternoon headed to the outdoor range where the temp was a balmy but calm 18 degrees.

Every cap busted on handloads (CCI) factory 357s, Speer Short Barrel. Shooting steel plates with the Kimber at 15 yds and every round went bang and every plate went clang. Rear sight set in center of rear dovetail and kept the three dots centered on COM of plate. Kimber fits nicely into Galco, DeSantis and Lobo rigs for Detective Special. HKS Speedloaders worked with 38s, and it was a snug fit. I like this gun a lot; found the 357s a handful and the 38+P factory 125s an easy shoot. Shots were well centered on the 10 inch steel plates. Think the Buffalo Bore 158 grain LSWCHP+Ps at 1k fps are a very promising load. No pics yet, got to wait for the camera to thaw out. I don't know if it is the best shooting snubby I've ever owned as an old DS and a 442 come immediately to mind but this one is easy to hit with, quickly.

Please keep us posted! Especially with pictures.

@Zeke38, congrats, and let us know how it continues to run for you. Sounds promising. You using the HKS loaders for the detective (DS) with it?
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 02-21-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Been out and about since 8 this am. I will have to do a tutorial on the pics since I won't use photobucket anymore. No chance to take a pic as yet. The HKS that I used was the DS model and it was a squeaky tight fit. Hopefully by the weekend I will have more rounds downrange and some pics to share.

User Tag List