Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most shootable snub?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Nobody ever said that snubbies are easy to shoot. Some are less harder than others, though.

A M27 snub might be an exception. I've never seen one, though.
    We'll it shoots like a dream.... for a snubbie.

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
    Last edited by SkippySanchez; 02-16-2018 at 02:54 PM.

If you don’t mind 327 Federal Magnum you can get the SP101 (with a three inch barrel) or the LCR with 6 rounds on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    If weight rather than cylinder diameter is keeping you away from k frame snubs, I think you should think about a 2" model 12 or 315NG. They're lighter than the sp101, have the 6th shot, and I find the K frame snubs a lot more shootable than the Js. Nice, hand filling frame size, and better triggers as a rule.
    If they're physically too big, though, I'd second a 640pro or WC sp101 for the better factory sights.
    The M12 is actually what set me down this path, but lack of sight options and long term durability made me look at other options.

I'd like a gun that will hold up to the years of practice these things require. If Ruger stuffed a 6th round in the SP101 I think this is a no brainer, but extra 15% capacity without size/weight penalty is attractive.

I appreciate the feedback so far. I know I need to go shoot a few to get an idea. I haven't shot a non Smith snubby in years.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    A tiny bit of wiggle but acceptable for me.
    Same exact experience with mine.

Used electricians tape on the back of my SPs at the rear top of the grip stud. Stopped the wiggle on the grips from Pachmayr, Eagle and a couple of others. Electricians tape about 1/2 inch long and two or three strips over the same place makes a good shim material. I shoot a lot of Magnums in my 357 SPs and not "walking" with the grips.

+1 on the Wiley Clapp 101. I carry mine AIWB a lot.
    It's there right now.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    It's not on your list, but I'd take a look at the LCR. The front sight is cake to swap out for a night sight or fiber optic, the trigger is quite nice, and it shoots well. I've been well satisfied with mine.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    A 2 inch k frame is a super snubby for shooting. Model 10s, 64s and 15s are awesome. My favorite is the 2.5 model 66. But The snubby I carry the most is 642 in a Kramer pocket holster. I have a .38 special 640 and a 43c as trainers. Same holsters, same grips. Crimson trace laser grips for the win
    Last edited by Poconnor; 02-16-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Snub guns I’ve had, shot, and enjoyed:
    New Cobra
    442/642
    3" heavy barrel 36-1
    Model 12 K-frame
    Model 10 K-frame
    SP-101
    SPNY
    Rossi 720 (3" .44 spec)
    Rossi 971 (2 1/2" .357)
    Taurus 605 weigand
    Taurus 85
    Probably some I’ve forgot

Snubguns I’ve not had, but have shot enough to form an opinion:
    340PD
    LCRs in .38 and .357
    old DS
    3" Taurus 431
    Charter bulldog
    undoubtably some I’m forgetting

Snubs I’ve never shot worth looking at:
    K6
    640 pro
    Korth (?)
    Probably something I’m forgetting.

The New Cobra is tied with my old cylinder and slide-tuned 2" model 10 K-frame for easy to shoot.

Unless they totally cocked up the nocturnal version, I’d say it’s worth a look. To feel like I’d be any better off for weekly training, I would personally be hunting for a rare DAO 3" model 64 (eg. NY-1), which you can probably get for less than a night cobra...if you can find one...and you’d still be a size larger and heavier, as you noted in the OP.

Intrigued by the K6, but can’t comment.

That Cobra is a great combo of easy to shoot and small-ish. Only hitch is not knowing of any out there with model 10/64-ish round counts (10s of Ks)

SP is cool too; I liked the SPNY, but the trigger reach was much more cramped, and the pull is not even in the same league as the new Cobra. The SP is crazy proven though; not going to wear a good one out.

For what it’s worth.

There is a nice looking nickel M12 on gunbroker right now for $425.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/747714279
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List