Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Most shootable snub?

I tried a SP101 on a lark, and enjoyed shooting it more than I thought I would.

Very shootable and built like a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    The most shootable snub IMHO is the SP101 with Pachmayr Compacs on. The Lett grips on the SP101 ar too small for my taste.
    Hizzie do the Pachmayr compacts stay put on your SP? I want to try them but have heard people saw they did not mount solid and rocked-wiggled.

Site Supporter
    My vote is the 640 Pro with an Apex kit. Wanted to buy a Cobra, but found the reach to trigger a little to long. Mine also shoots low. I form a triangle with dots to compensate. A cost savings sticking with J frames means holsters, speed strips, and loaders are the same.

Of all the snubs I've shot, I would say the SP101 is the most "comfortable" to shoot. The pinned front sight allows a pretty easy sight swap, a major plus. The DS with Compac grips is also pretty pleasant, but they're hard to find, though I guess you could go with the new Cobra or Night Cobra. As much as it sets me up for burning in effigy, none of the J-frames every felt good to me when I was shooting them.

A tiny bit of wiggle but acceptable for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

If weight rather than cylinder diameter is keeping you away from k frame snubs, I think you should think about a 2" model 12 or 315NG. They're lighter than the sp101, have the 6th shot, and I find the K frame snubs a lot more shootable than the Js. Nice, hand filling frame size, and better triggers as a rule.
    If they're physically too big, though, I'd second a 640pro or WC sp101 for the better factory sights.

Site Supporter
    Concur. My hands aren't large, but all my J frames are too short in trigger reach. My old '49 2 inch M&P is the one that fits my hand the best. Wish it had the Magna stocks instead of the pre-war style service ones that are numbered to the gun. If the Night Cobra street price was in the range of 600ish, I would strongly consider one.

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    If weight rather than cylinder diameter is keeping you away from k frame snubs, I think you should think about a 2" model 12 or 315NG. They're lighter than the sp101, have the 6th shot, and I find the K frame snubs a lot more shootable than the Js. Nice, hand filling frame size, and better triggers as a rule.
    If they're physically too big, though, I'd second a 640pro or WC sp101 for the better factory sights.
    I wouldn't recommend a Model 12 if you intend to shoot it a much. They are known to have some frame cracking issues and there is no repair possible. If you send it to S&W with a damaged frame you won't get it back. I'd get a 2" Model 10 to shoot and carry a Model 12 only shooting enough to confirm POI/POA. I'm also hesitant to recommend a D frame Colt because parts and knowledgable gunsmiths are getting hard to find. Can't comment on a Ruger DA because I haven't shot any of them.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Model 60? Colt Detective Special?
    Although not my daily carry gun, my 2.25" Model 60 shoots like a dream. De-spurred the hammer, trigger job and CT boot grips, 2" groups at 10 yards DAO. Takes a lot of practice, though.

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    Although not my daily carry gun, my 2.25" Model 60 shoots like a dream. De-spurred the hammer, trigger job and CT boot grips, 2" groups at 10 yards DAO. Takes a lot of practice, though.
    Nobody ever said that snubbies are easy to shoot. Some are less harder than others, though.

A M27 snub might be an exception. I've never seen one, though.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List