Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Most shootable snub?

Thanks for the replies, Zeke. The K6 certainly seems like a good combo.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

I inherited this piece last night. Built in 1976, spent 76-90 doing work in Detroit. I think I'm going to add a T Grip and wring it out on the range. It's heavy, so I bet it will shoot quite nicely.

The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Site Supporter
    Nice! I had a 1970 DS, exposed ejector rod. Shot very nicely.

I’ve always had at least one short barrel revolver around since I first started shooting.

My first was a very, very early production Model 60 that I borrowed from an uncle while I was still in my teens. After that, my first handgun at age 21 was a 3” 64 which I still have. I added a 2” 10 for a few years, a first reissue 640 (+P+ marked, even) in the 90s and then my current satin nickel pre lock 442.

My main issue with Js in general and my 442 in particular is the ergonomics - my trigger finger is always cramped up. I’ve gotten partially around that with the use of Ergo Delta grips, they look strange but greatly improve the shootability for me compared to the various boot grips I always preferred.

However, as my eyes age I’m having more problems with the sights - the combination of a gutter rear and the short sight radius is getting harder to deal with. I do much better with my 3” 64, but the rear still sucks. I’ve handled a 640 Pro, but it didn’t make “it” move.

So, I’m on the hunt for a new 3” small frame revolver. I’ve set my sights (sorry) on the K6S, the 2”ers I’ve handled in the store have really impressed me. They fit my hand much better than any J, the sights are fantastic, and the size and weight are fine. I’m hoping to shoot the store’s rental 2” in the next week or two, assuming that goes well I’ll start shopping.

Zeke38, how is that K6S coming along for you?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    So, I’m on the hunt for a new 3” small frame revolver. I’ve set my sights (sorry) on the K6S, the 2”ers I’ve handled in the store have really impressed me. They fit my hand much better than any J, the sights are fantastic, and the size and weight are fine. I’m hoping to shoot the store’s rental 2” in the next week or two, assuming that goes well I’ll start shopping.

Zeke38, how is that K6S coming along for you?
    I believe that many savvy wheelgunners adopted a "wait and see" approach to the K6s. The issue is that the wait part took a crazy long time (Kimber’s fault) and the see part is also taking a crazy long time (shooter community/owner’s fault).

That said, while I have yet to see anyone posting 5k torture tests, I’m also noting that the new-thought wheelie is doing a whole lot better in all than, say, SIG at failing to acrue internet failure/vitriol threads. Since they’ve been out for a while, I am close to pulling the trigger on one, especially now that I’ve seen one guy replace the oversize grips on his 3" with the CT no-lasers.

So, @Zeke38, how is it shaking out on that 3 incher?

To be honest, a 3” 357 snub is going to be a thousand rounder for me - a few hundred up front, and then a hundred or so a year after that. I have more pleasant things to shoot for recreation.

Have shot some more Magnums through the K6 and it handles them well. Standard Hornady FTX loads 140 grain loads. The sights allow very little light on either side and I find I have to shoot by lining up the three dots. But they shoot to POA with the Magnums and heavier weighted 38s shoot ok for windage but a couple inches low at 15 yds.

A sight change is due for me on Kimber! Probably a FO front sight, if it is narrower than the present front sight. Mechanical function of the K6 continues to run without blemish. So far 85% Magnums and the rest in 38 Specials. Probably going to flip those numbers and run the Buffalo Bore 158 LSWCHPGC at 1,000fps and quicker recovery shots and smoother reloads. This will be my carry load and the practice load will be a 158 LSWC over 6.0 grains of Power Pistol in a 38 Spl case.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 03-18-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Add data

Thank you for the update! I’ll start looking so I can answer my own question, but is anyone doing replacement sights for these? I’m not sure if I would change them on mine, but it’s good to know.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 03-18-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I believe that many savvy wheelgunners adopted a "wait and see" approach to the K6s. The issue is that the wait part took a crazy long time (Kimber’s fault) and the see part is also taking a crazy long time (shooter community/owner’s fault).

That said, while I have yet to see anyone posting 5k torture tests, I’m also noting that the new-thought wheelie is doing a whole lot better in all than, say, SIG at failing to acrue internet failure/vitriol threads. Since they’ve been out for a while, I am close to pulling the trigger on one, especially now that I’ve seen one guy replace the oversize grips on his 3" with the CT no-lasers.

So, @Zeke38, how is it shaking out on that 3 incher?
    CT no-laser? Explain?

civiliandefender.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    I inherited this piece last night. Built in 1976, spent 76-90 doing work in Detroit. I think I'm going to add a T Grip and wring it out on the range. It's heavy, so I bet it will shoot quite nicely.

Colt Lawman .357 snub...Nice! You don't see these much anymore.

User Tag List