Thread: P-08 Luger Question

P-08 Luger Question

I recently had a P-08 come apart during firing. I think that the takedown latch failed, which let the upper and lower parts of the action separate partially. I think that I reassembled it properly but I’m curious as to how to function-check it.

Any thoughts?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I've run a 1938 Mauser P.08 for years; annually myself and a friend of mine run ours at an IDPA match (which we also challenge other shooters to bring other such IDPA-legal vintage pistols; we have a great time, and with some surprisingly competitive results at times).

Given the nature of the striker action of a P.08, requiring only a relatively small amount of bolt action required to cock the striker, I'm not sure if there's a functional check per se that would have precluded your issue from being discovered. It sounds like you may have improperly positioned your coupling link, the S-shaped component that dangles from the rear toggle link. It needs to be properly positioned IN FRONT of the inclined upper arms of the recoil lever.

https://www.shootersforum.com/handgu...sassembly.html Post # 11 is most helpful.

PM me if you need more help-we're both geographically close.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-15-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks, I think that might be what I need. I'm most worried about reassembling it incorrectly then damaging or destroying it the next time I shoot it. I know that most modern designs can only be reassembled one way, while you can reassemble some older designs incorrectly and not know it. I'm thinking mostly of the Canadian Ross rifle, not sure whether the Luger might also fall into that category.

Thanks again,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

It does, as does the Mauser C96...

Best, Jon

Youre probably on the right track, but may find this useful or interesting at some point.

http://www.lugerforum.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Youre probably on the right track, but may find this useful or interesting at some point.

http://www.lugerforum.com/
    That site overall, and specifically the e-book mentioned is absolutely superb; it's a "must have" for anyone owning a Luger who actually intends to shoot it and thoroughly understand it, beyond just collecting and savoring them.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-16-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I recently had a P-08 come apart during firing. I think that the takedown latch failed, which let the upper and lower parts of the action separate partially. I think that I reassembled it properly but I’m curious as to how to function-check it.

Any thoughts?

Okie John
    I have recurring dreams from time to time, where I'm trying to shoot a bad guy and my gun falls apart.... I remember one where my M-60 machine gun fell apart, and I was trying to remember how to re assemble it. The last time I ever handled an M-60 was in 1985.

User Tag List