Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating a revolver for AIWB - Wiley Clapp GP100?

Contemplating a revolver for AIWB - Wiley Clapp GP100?

After spending an hour or so doing some research I'm thinking a Wiley Clapp GP100 will fit the bill for me (maybe needing the OEM Compact grip).

Aside from rust, any advantage going stainless over blued?

Does anyone have any experience running one AIWB? If I go this route I'd be ordering a JMCK rig.

Should I seriously contemplate bobbing the hammer?

Since I don't know what I don't know, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    After spending an hour or so doing some research I'm thinking a Wiley Clapp GP100 will fit the bill for me (maybe needing the OEM Compact grip).

Aside from rust, any advantage going stainless over blued?

Does anyone have any experience running one AIWB? If I go this route I'd be ordering a JMCK rig.

Should I seriously contemplate bobbing the hammer?

Since I don't know what I don't know, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
    1. I would say it is preference, ceteris paribus.

2. See below.

3. Probably.

See also:
    @Hizzie

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=13161

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....article-in-MSW
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I have one of the blued ones, and the finish wore extremely quickly. I sent it back to Ruger within a month of owning it, and they refinished it but it make me leery about carrying it IWB in a leather holster. Perhaps a one-of, as I had a very early one, but if I were going to carry frequently I'd probably go for the stainless. That said, I love the looks of the blued.

It's also my most finicky for the 'crud under the ejector star lock up' problem. My Match Champion will tolerate a lot more dirtiness.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I carry a LS 65 aiwb in a jmck George with the foam wedge. It's the most comfortable holster I've ever used. The wedge and extra length make it more comfortable than my j frame dsg clip on, which is already really unobtrusive. I'd go stainless, but it's preference. I carried a 3" m13 before the ladysmith, and I changed because of rust issues. If you wipe it down occasionally I'm sure blue would be fine, though. Definitely Bob the hammer. It makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Go stainless so when you have someone go over it and remove all the big, schnarly burrs and break the sharp edges, it doesn't have to be refinished. And rust, too.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Thanks to all. I have read the 23+ page thread and gained some insight. At this point the only reason I can think of for me to spend the $$$ for a system I'll likely not use defensively is "because reasons". Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last...

They are damn fun. The GP Handles recoil better than a comparable SW. Only real suggestion is no extra tuck on the JMCK. Maybe the wing but I bang my knuckle into the tuck.

These pouches look pretty amazing.

http://joxloaderpouches.bigcartel.com
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

@Hizzie has already weighed in—which is good; he’s the first dude a lot of people think of for running a GP WC hard.

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    I carry a LS 65 aiwb in a jmck George with the foam wedge. It's the most comfortable holster I've ever used. The wedge and extra length make it more comfortable than my j frame dsg clip on, which is already really unobtrusive. I'd go stainless, but it's preference. I carried a 3" m13 before the ladysmith, and I changed because of rust issues. If you wipe it down occasionally I'm sure blue would be fine, though. Definitely Bob the hammer. It makes a huge difference.
    ^^^This. I have a 4" K-frame George with the foam wedge as well, and it’s astonishing how well it makes either a 4” 64 or 3” 65 hide.

*RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List