Page 61 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkland Florida School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My understanding is only 1/4 was an SRO.
    Well, given what El Cid has reported above, (and he has a current relationship with both deputies and local P.D.), the other three earned the same moniker for their (lack of) action that day. Not BSO's finest hour...and I'm sure that is to the chagrin of the many fine deputies who bravely serve.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The area where this occurred may also be an indicator of the coverage and attention it's received. After all, how many black kids have been killed in Chicago so far this year?
    I made the exact same observation to a few people. "And how many people have been shot and killed in Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Juarez, or D.C. but didn't make the news because they were the wrong demographic?" Most I've posed this question to haven't really given an answer to that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Is it sop/policy for a "first on scene" to move in on an unknown environment with active shooter(s) in other situations?
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Is it sop/policy for a "first on scene" to move in on an unknown environment with active shooter(s) in other situations?
    Yes. For years now.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Yes. For years now.
    Thank you.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

That's been SOP for practically everyone everywhere for a decade or two now AFAIK
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    These incidents have caused a real shift in the collective mindset within the LE community. As I said before, the standard SOP used to involve getting people on scene, securing the scene, gaining intellgence and communications, etc. This was done because the perpetrators usually wanted something: the release of political prisoners, money, etc. In essence, there was something they wanted, so we had something to negotiate with. Columbine changed all that. Now we have killers who's only goal is to kill as many people as they can before they're apprehended or killed themselves. There's nothing to talk over, there's no negotiation to be made. You simply have to grab what you've got and go get it done, even if that means doing it alone. The immediacy of the threat is that great. We're not talking about Ohmar Shishkabob with an airliner full of hostages out on the tarmac. This is Dicky Deranged with only murder and suicide on his mind. Personally, I can't fathom how a grown man who's sworn to protect and serve can hunker down behind his cruiser while children are being killed. Department policy be damned, that may be used as an excuse by attorneys, but it doesn't hold water in any moral court.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 02-23-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Huffington Post is predictably quick to lead the leftist charge.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-cops...171928942.html
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Well this is not good:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/polit...ies/index.html

“CNN)When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.”
    Not surprising. During the Chattanooga shooting/terrorist attack, there were multiple officers that refused to enter the building while the suspect was actively shooting.

I can sit here and think of people at my own department that I doubt would go in after an active shooter. Probably the same everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Not to make light of it but in this instance it appears that SRO = Shamefully Remained Outside
    Shunning Responsibility of Office

User Tag List