Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkland Florida School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Before anybody lights me up, I'm not opposed to the idea.

This guy had a plan (pull fire alarm to get targets out and unprotected) and a long gun. How many people do you know who are prepared and capable enough to handle a situation like that?
    I’d be happy with “have gun, will run towards danger” for now.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post

I dunno, you tell me.
    Install a unique ‘Active Shooter’ school wide alarm with separate and distinctive sound from fire alarm?

Conduct Active Shooter Drills?

Offer (require?) age-appropriate trauma / bleeding control training to all students and faculty?

Encourage (require?) classrooms to be equipped with augmented first aid equipment (TQs, Comp bandages, Celox) and of at station no throughout school property?

Work with major providers (e.g. D.A.R.K., NAR) to offer discounts on IFAKs and make available to students and faculty at reduced cost?

Augment school LEO based resource officers with trained CCW carrying staff (and prominently advertise it with signage entering school grounds)?

Put in place adequate classroom locks on all doorways leading to likely places of refuge?

Review school construction for interior wall thickness and resistance to .223 rounds or similar?

This all seems so inadequate after the fact though. . These events are so horrible it is impossible to understand the grief these families are going through. I would be numb.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-14-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    Teacher wise? None

Maybe every school should be mandated an SRO?

I dunno, you tell me.
    I read the school has 3,400 students. I would be surprised if a school that size did not have more than one SRO.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-14-2018 at 09:21 PM.

I now what your saying
    The Dems have already started their talking points on MSNBC
    "Thoughts and Prayers are not enough" etc

The bodies aren't even cold yet.
    Typical Democrat tactic..for the next week we're going to hear nothing but the same old tired gun grabbing ideas...assault weapons ban, "high" capacity mag ban, gunshow loophole ban, never ideas like arming the teachers, more cops in the school, especially a large one like this.. but what should we expect, as a society, we're all to happy to guard large piles of paper money with armed guards, and yet we guard our kids in school with a sign..those are the prioritys of the damned...

Site Supporter
    I'm a retired teacher and except in rural schools with small populations I would be hesitant to recommend that teachers be armed unless there were guidelines for screening that would identify a select few capable of meeting training standards. Instead I would prefer to see a stronger police presence. My opinion is that national teacher organizations(anti gun)would object and lobby against the idea.

When my school hired the first police officers in 1987, I shared this observation with the officers: if a cop had to shoot a kid, the shooting would become instantly controversial. Further, neither the Chief nor the Superintendent would have the nuts to back the officer, and last, the cop would be forced from the profession. Just as police chiefs really are not cops and school Superintendents really are not teachers, I cannot foresee any school administrator buying into letting teachers be armed. Politics would not permit this.

My wife has been a highschool teacher for twenty eight years. Teachers carrying guns in school is the last thing you want.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I can’t copy the photo but it appears the suspect is wearing a JROTC shirt. Also is it just the lighting or is this another guy who was trying to look like The Joker ?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/14...ing-signs.html

All the schools in my area just spent large dollars remodeling the main entrance ways with double doors and lock outs. Problem is, the average car or SUV could blast through both layers like they were cray paper. Makes me furious that my tax dollars went towards theater instead of actual security. Also all the secondary exits are just as vulnerable.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Arming all teachers is ridiculous.
    Allowing the military veteran janitor or the 3-gun competing science teacher to carry their ccw on school property if they desire should be a no-brainer.

It's not about having armed responders in the school, it's about having armed defenders.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-14-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I cannot foresee any school administrator buying into letting teachers be armed. Politics would not permit this.
    And yet several school districts in Texas have done just that...
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List