Page 102 of 115 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1142

Thread: Parkland Florida School Shooting

Site Supporter
    It's hard to see how this is not Bread and Circuses, except for the perjury. But, I'm no lawyer.
    Certainly feels not right, even though he failed, utterly.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Does being an assigned officer at a school, given the risk of rampages nowadays - generate a special relationship? Someone with more expertise could weigh in.
    I don't know if it's ever been decided by a court, but to me I would think so.

Regardless of common sense, I imagine it's not written in policy or statute that the SRO is there to protect the children, and so I can see it being challenged on those grounds. "Not in my job description" sort of defense.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If convicted as charged, Peterson could face a maximum of nearly 97 years in state prison.
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...yhi-story.html

I'm trying to think of another civilian event where someone chicken shitted themselves and let people die, rather than engage in combat.

I know it's a different rule book for the military.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    If convicted as charged, Peterson could face a maximum of nearly 97 years in state prison.
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...yhi-story.html
    The affidavit for the arrest is available as a linked document on the Sun-Sentinel site -- interesting read (41 pages).

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    The Warren V. DC case that has been referenced is a civil case...not criminal. The 'Special Relationship' discussed applies to Tort Law. I am not personally aware of another case of an officer being criminally charged in a Neglect of Duty scenario. Administratively....fry him. Civilly....go for it. Criminally? Not so sure about the precedent that sets. If any members are aware of any other case where an officer was criminally charged for what he didn't do, I'd like to hear about it.
    Last edited by AMC; 06-04-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    While his behavior and performance are certainly examples of failure, (and admittedly without knowledge of any additional supporting facts), I'd be very surprised if this matter holds up in the courts. Seems like one of those arrests / indictments that get trotted out to assuage the public outrage and then gets settled once it's off the front page.

My gut says this will not stand up. (Again, absent knowledge of additional supporting evidence of criminal wrongdoing.)
    My gut feeling is that this is being done to strip him of his pension.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

This will be interesting to see how it develops. It could be a ploy to get out of paying his pension. It's really going to complicate law enforcement. You have states charging you for stuff you do and now you have states charging you for stuff you don't do. Lot of people might decide to become an accountant or something else instead of being a cop.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The Volokh Conspiracy has an article that basically argues that the charges amount to "cowardice in battle."
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I don’t know what else you could call it. https://projects.sun-sentinel.com/20...tical-moments/
    Last edited by Greg; 06-04-2019 at 10:57 PM.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

User Tag List