A federal judge in Mississippi has dismissed a charge of being a felon in possession of a gun which was filed against an individual who was previously convicted of aggravated assault and manslaughter in one case and aggravated assault on a police officer in another case.

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/06/jud...MAIL_CAMPAIGN)

I have not read the actual opinion, but I share the concern of the article of the linked article that the intention of the judge may be to take the Bruen case to its logical extreme in an attempt to discredit it and/or generate public sentiment against it for the next election. Fortunately it does not appear that any laws were struck down, and the only direct result is dismissal of the charges against this defendant.

If I understand correctly, at least one of the convictions would have resulted in death by hanging at the time the bill of rights was ratified. If I recall the misdemeanor domestic violence case correctly, at least one federal appellate court appears open to the argument that a death sentence would effectively deprive someone of the ability to possess guns in the future. That is the approach I would encourage for keeping at least the worst violent criminals from legally possessing guns, and staying off slippery slopes which could lead to bad election results followed by bad Supreme Court appointments.