Page 100 of 115 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1142

Thread: Parkland Florida School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    What is an unarmed person supposed to do, soak up bullets?

My state created a program with the Counties to hire retired officers to work in the elementary schools as uniformed deputies.

Everybody loves it so far.
    From nearly 3 years ago: https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/arme...-ohio-counties. Ohio has 88 counties.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Don't they have private schools there?
    They do but they still fall victim to Broward County Gov't School stupidity and regulations to some degree. In the grand scheme of things, it's another cost that to absorb to stay in an area that just has no appeal anymore.

It's really a moot point because, one way or another, I won't be here by this time next year. I'll try not to go on too much of a rant because I have enjoyed a lot of things about my time here . . . but I am just over Florida, south Florida especially, as a place to live/work. I'll be glad to leave it all to the New Yorkers, snowbirds, South Americans and folks who want to try to make a go of this place. I'll come back a couple times a year to visit, gorge myself on Cuban food and Mojitos, and maybe shoot a match at HTC. Even my wife, a native of Miami-Dade county, has said that she wants to go back to Alabama because of the better quality of life we can have there.
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 03-25-2019 at 08:50 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    They do but they still fall victim to Broward County Gov't School stupidity and regulations to some degree. In the grand scheme of things, it's another cost that to absorb to stay in an area that just has no appeal anymore.

It's really a moot point because, one way or another, I won't be here one way or another by this time next year. I'll try not to go on too much of a rant because I have enjoyed a lot of things about my time here . . . but I am just over Florida, south Florida especially, as a place to live/work. I'll be glad to leave it all to the New Yorkers, snowbirds, South Americans and folks who want to try to make a go of this place. I'll come back a couple times a year to visit, gorge myself on Cuban food and Mojitos, and maybe shoot a match at HTC. Even my wife, a native of Miami-Dade county, has said that she wants to go back to Alabama because of the better quality of life we can have there.
    I hear you. My parents are sort of trapped by circumstance in Homestead and going there makes my skin crawl.

I'm desperately trying to work out a way to get them out and up north.

Proposal to arm teachers moves forward in Florida Senate, despite opposition

A proposal to arm teachers advanced along party lines in the Florida Senate Tuesday, despite opposition from students and educators who say it won’t make schools safer and could put children in harm’s way. The proposal (SB 7030) would expand the state’s Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program created in the wake of the Parkland shooting. Named for an assistant football coach killed in the massacre, the program allows non-instructional employees to carry guns if they undergo training and pass a psychological evaluation. A Senate panel approved the measure in a 5-3 vote — just over a year after a gunman opened fired at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland and killed 17 students and staff. Teachers would be allowed to voluntarily carry guns if they complete training and local school boards agree. Last year, state lawmakers opted not to include most classroom teachers on the list of school employees authorized to carry weapons. The state commission investigating the Parkland shooting recommended in December expanding the program to include teachers.
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...325-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    A proposal to arm teachers advanced along party lines in the Florida Senate Tuesday, despite opposition from students and educators who say it won’t make schools safer and could put children in harm’s way. The proposal (SB 7030) would expand the state’s Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program created in the wake of the Parkland shooting. Named for an assistant football coach killed in the massacre, the program allows non-instructional employees to carry guns if they undergo training and pass a psychological evaluation. A Senate panel approved the measure in a 5-3 vote — just over a year after a gunman opened fired at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland and killed 17 students and staff. Teachers would be allowed to voluntarily carry guns if they complete training and local school boards agree. Last year, state lawmakers opted not to include most classroom teachers on the list of school employees authorized to carry weapons. The state commission investigating the Parkland shooting recommended in December expanding the program to include teachers.
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl...325-story.html
    I never thought I'd see the day when Ohio was actually more pro-gun than Florida.

Our gun laws are, in the overall, now even better than those of the "gunshine" state and we've been arming teachers for several years now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I never thought I'd see the day when Ohio was actually more pro-gun than Florida.

Our gun laws are, in the overall, now even better than those of the "gunshine" state and we've been arming teachers for several years now.
    A side effect of the changing demographics of Florida . . . and the mindset that permeates Broward County politics is a cancer that is metastasizing throughout the rest of the state.

You guys also don't have Marion Hammer running the state level firearms organization, so you've probably got a chance to actually make some headway on some gun rights issues.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Florida teachers to be armed with guns despite anger from Parkland shooting survivors

On Tuesday, the state Senate approved the change, which now heads to the more conservative state House for what is expected to be final passage. The 22-17 Senate vote fell almost entirely along party lines, with a single Republican, Senator Anitere Flores of Miami, joining all of the chamber’s Democrats in voting against the bill.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8883791.html

Florida lawmakers pass bill allowing more armed teachers

The Republican-led House voted 65-47 on Wednesday to send the bill to GOP Gov. Ron DeSantis, who is expected to sign it. The measure expands an existing school "guardian" program to allow any teacher to volunteer to carry a weapon if their local school district approves.
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sns-bc-...501-story.html

Governor Officially Signs Florida Classroom Carry Bill Into Law

Before passage of SB 7030, only certain staff members could carry guns on campuses. Now, any teacher or staff member willing to undergo the required 144 hours of training, along with psychological evaluations and background checks, can carry a concealed gun in a school.
    https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...assroom-carry/

User Tag List