Page 111 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1142

Thread: Parkland Florida School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    When this was first brought up, he immediately posted about his remorse at doing stupid things and apologized. \
    I think we all know that he didn't apologize for what they really disliked.

In the 3 months following Parkland, one Texas prosecutor charged 216 kids with threatening school shootings. Now he is rethinking...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/afraid-...ng-11560936602

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I think we all know that he didn't apologize for what they really disliked.
    Had he apologized for the "wrongthink" it would have made zero difference. Apologies of any sort embolden the sorry pieces of identity marxist shit into doubling down, attacking even more, etc... Welcome to the Brave New America.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

While apologies are all well and good, as are second chances, not all apologies are believable nor acceptable. I know nothing about this kid nor his level of sincerity, and I sincerely hope he gets the outcome he deserves. (Maybe Van Jones should put him on his "Redemption Project". Yes, sarcasm. )

I never particularly thought David Duke had changed his spots? There are plenty more (false) apologists out there.

In the case of this young man, each side has a vested interest in the outcome (and optics) which makes both sides somewhat suspect in my view. Harvard? Never particularly impressed me...but that's tangential to the matter.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

@blues, your wisdom is admirable.

I recently read an article in The Atlantic that expressed a similar view, a link below for the interested:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...arvard/591880/

I appreciate that Kashuv was able to act as a pro-gun voice with the unfortunate background as having endured a school shooting. I think it’s unfortunate that so many survivors are so enthusiastically pushed into becoming anti-gun spokespeople.

It’s hard to get worked up about someone getting their Harvard offer rescinded. P.J. O’Rourkw has a great takedown of Harvard in specific, and “elite higher education” in general in his excellent Holidays In Hell.

I spent a decade in local, no-name state universities, and always managed to work my way into full-ride support, without having to write personal essays or otherwise reveal any political, social, or cultural information about myself.

Harvard is a private institution, but it can be argued that there are some public funds invested in the school, their admissions process is worthy of public attention. Its admission rate is low enough that literal perfection can be expected of its applicants, which does make it interesting that Harvard would accept former criminals.

The only thing that seems weird to me is that the admissions office would be interested in reading the classroom Google Docs where Kasuv went off with his racial slurs. If his intent was “only to shock”, perhaps he shouldn’t be so surprised that the people he shocked were willing to shock him right back.

Perhaps if he were of other ethnicities, and had slurred in the direction of other ethnicities, Harvard would not have cared, but most high schoolers manage to make it through to graduation without attempting to make racial slurs in their coursework.

I’m sure that his pro-gun activism was what got those screen shots sent to Haravard’s admission office. Attention seeking can work in unanticipated ways, and I enjoy as much anonymity as I can reasonably achieve.

One the linked article’s suggestions was that Harvard could use the free spot generated in this to extend an invite to a wait-listed pro-gun candidate. Perhaps that person could get a voice at NRA.
    Last edited by Bergeron; 06-19-2019 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Harvard is private, not public. Duh & sorry!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    @blues, your wisdom is admirable.

I recently read an article in The Atlantic that expressed a similar view, a link below for the interested:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...arvard/591880/
    You're too kind, thank you.

Site Supporter
    After chaotic handling of Parkland, airport mass shootings, BSO loses its accreditation

A state panel has voted unanimously to revoke the law enforcement accreditation of the Broward Sheriff’s Office, the largest sheriff’s office in Florida. The loss of accreditation — a voluntary certification sought by law enforcement agencies — won’t affect BSO’s operations in a major way. But it is a further blow to the agency’s prestige at a time when a new command staff, including a new sheriff, are dealing with a string of failures and questionable conduct by deputies.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

That's sad to read. When I worked with several members of the BSO in HIDTA back in the late 90's, the deputies assigned to our task force were highly competent, reliable comrades. This tarnishes the good name and work of those professionals.
    Last edited by blues; 07-01-2019 at 03:49 PM.

I just attended a presentation By Pinellas County, FL Sheriff Bob Gualtieri about the Marjory Stoneman Douglas (Parkland) shooting. He was the Chairman of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Commission.

A LOT of failures in Broward County that led up to this. Suffice to say politics and turf (City vs. County) got in the way. Who handles 911 calls in that area (the school was literally a few feet inside the area covered by BCSO and Coral Springs PD dispatchers didn't send them). When they did the CCPD got there in 19 seconds but it was already too late. BCSO deputies literally did nothing but hold a perimeter. Not to mention an antiquated radio system. It was shameful.

The most notable thing I got out of it was training. BCSO received 90 minutes or so a year of training. The Coral Springs police department that eventually went in receives 12 hours per year in active shooter training. I watched body-cam video of BCSO deputies failing to enter while Coral Springs PD officers stormed in. It was ridiculous.

If your agency isn't doing Active Shooter training every year you're already behind the curve.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 08-06-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Scot Peterson can sleep.at night

https://www.menshealth.com
    I had my barber trim my mustache and saw this article.

User Tag List