Page 28 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkland Florida School Shooting

Rich, do you know the corresponding voting numbers for Red vs. Blue?

ETA:

https://www.270towin.com/states/Florida

Pretty much neck and neck...
    Last edited by blues; 02-17-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Speaking of the above, @KeeFus, I'm more than a bit concerned about where NC is heading in the not too distant future.
    Last edited by blues; 02-17-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Speaking of the above, @KeeFus, I'm more than a bit concerned about where NC is heading in the not too distant future.
    I think we’re good...for now. Our governor can’t do anything so in my eyes he is essentially a lame duck...which is good if you ask me. But NC may be one incident away from a lot of drama...like Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Rich, do you know the corresponding voting numbers for Red vs. Blue?

ETA:

https://www.270towin.com/states/Florida

Pretty much neck and neck...
    I forgot to say that graphic indicates voting strength, if you will, by darkness. So very Blue was Hillary country (e.g. Miami, Orlando / South OBT, etc.) and dark Red was Trump land (Panhandle, etc.)

That’s why I said what I did about Guayabera Shirts in another thread - Yes you see them in Miami etc. but on the West Coast, or Interior of the state, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Agree, except for the part about math teachers.
    Yeah, that's kind of stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    I think we’re good...for now. Our governor can’t do anything so in my eyes he is essentially a lame duck...which is good if you ask me. But NC may be one incident away from a lot of drama...like Florida.
    Yeah, I'm no fan of the current governor either. Hope you're right about our state going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I forgot to say that graphic indicates voting strength, if you will, by darkness. So very Blue was Hillary country (e.g. Miami, Orlando / South OBT, etc.) and dark Red was Trump land (Panhandle, etc.)

That’s why I said what I did about Guayabera Shirts in another thread - Yes you see them in Miami etc. but on the West Coast, or Interior of the state, not so much.
    Yeah, I got the county map, Rich. I just wanted to figure out how many folks were represented in the red vs blue areas as a little blue can go a long way if the population density is sufficient. The numbers in the link I posted show just how close the elections have been recently.

Having lived down there for 17 years I'm pretty familiar with most of the state from Homestead to Pensacola. It's like NY in that respect. Once you get out of NYC a little ways, it's a whole different demographic.
    Last edited by blues; 02-17-2018 at 09:19 PM.

I am close to someone who works closely with the FL house. I am not concerned about new gun control laws passing. Floridians like their gun freedom and the legislators know it. I think it's more likely we get additional funding for armed security and hardening measures in schools.

Money isn’t a cure all but having more of it to increase security would certainly help. I live in Texas and am amazed at the money that is spent on athletics. In the Dallas area, schools in the suburbs are building football stadiums that seat 10’s of thousands and carry price tags of $50,0000,000. Using a fraction of that money would go a long way to pay off duty officers to provide visible and meaningful security.

I live in a small city with 2,500 rooftops and we all pay real estate taxes that fund our school system. If we all paid an additional $200 per year, it would provide $500,000 to fund added security at our four schools. I’m wondering how many more school shootings we have to live through before communities start demanding our school districts take meaningful action on security. I wouldn’t think finding a workable solution is all that difficult if school boards and administrators had the necessary resources.
    Last edited by Caesar; 02-18-2018 at 12:52 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm guessing we should have 1 SRO per 250 kids, full time.

5) Creating special reserve deputization for staff/faculty to respond to active shooters.
    6) Allowing CCW-licensed staff/faculty to bring their firearms to school.

We could even have 5) and 6) reserved to locking their guns up in lock-boxes in their primary workspace, and I think it'd still be effective. Forward leaning schools are doing just a few of these.....most aren't doing more than 1 of them, if at all.
    1/250? We can't even get that many counselors in schools!

I don't support lockboxes. Teachers and staff move all over the school during the day. If they are to be effective, the pistol can't be in the other side of the school. It needs to be discretely concealed and carried all day, every day, and no kid knows about it until and unless it comes out when the teacher, administrator, counselor, janitor, lunch lady, secretary, etc pulls it out to stop some nut from killing the kids instead of committing suicide by throwing their bodies between the kids and the killer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Ouch! That's rough. Some kind of union mandate, disinterested officers or what?

I don't get it. Our SROs were cool, although part time so the two off-days were filled by regular cops from our 8 man, part-time PD (State Police coverage at night). Seems there's a lot of low opinions for SROs among the local guys here on the forum.
    You mentioned attend8ng a small high school and mentioned 900 students as the max size for a school.

The Parkland school was a combined middle school and high school with 3400. High schools with 2000 to 4000 students are not uncommon.

Barring an active shooter situation SRO or ISD police officer tends to be a Job best suited to guys retired from something else in LE. They have more patience with the kids and have had enough action that a day when nothing happens is “a good day” instead of “boring.”
    Last edited by HCM; 02-18-2018 at 02:55 AM.

User Tag List