Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Parkland Florida School Shooting

Site Supporter
    Trump will be under extreme pressure by both parties to agree to something--what, I don't know. Second amendment proponents must choose comments most carefully to avoid appearing insensitive and coming across as giant assholes as I think Glenn said in reference to a past shooting. Now is the time to send money to the NRA. I've been lax but will resume.

Site Supporter
    How many live could a few armed teachers have saved?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Trump will be under extreme pressure by both parties to agree to something--what, I don't know. Second amendment proponents must choose comments most carefully to avoid appearing insensitive and coming across as giant assholes as I think Glenn said in reference to a past shooting. Now is the time to send money to the NRA. I've been lax but will resume.
    Pressure to agree to what?
    Close nonexistent loopholes?
    The shooting was a crime, literally.
    What can he do, make it crimeyer? (yes, I made that up)
    Horrific act by a D-Bag with a twisted agenda for sure.
    Not to appear insensitive (because I'm not)
    But all the pain and tragedy in the world still doesn't trump my rights.

Site Supporter
    FYI - this was first reported in "Shooting Incidents in the News" @ 2:18. Doesn't make any difference, but I just had to get my mind off the fact that once again, it's kids shooting kids. A mental image that I can't shake. Whatever happened to duking it out on the playground?
    Last edited by 11B10; 02-14-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    How many live could a few armed teachers have saved?
    Before anybody lights me up, I'm not opposed to the idea.

This guy had a plan (pull fire alarm to get targets out and unprotected) and a long gun. How many people do you know who are prepared and capable enough to handle a situation like that?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Before anybody lights me up, I'm not opposed to the idea.

This guy had a plan (pull fire alarm to get targets out and unprotected) and a long gun. How many people do you know who are prepared and capable enough to handle a situation like that?
    Teacher wise? None

Maybe every school should be mandated an SRO?

I dunno, you tell me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Pressure to agree to what?
    Close nonexistent loopholes?
    The shooting was a crime, literally.
    What can he do, make it crimeyer? (yes, I made that up)
    Horrific act by a D-Bag with a twisted agenda for sure.
    Not to appear insensitive (because I'm not)
    But all the pain and tragedy in the world still doesn't trump my rights.
    I have no idea what he will be asked to agree with, and the comment does not imply that any action would prevent crimes. One possibility would be regulations or legislation similar to Clinton era restrictions. I don't see the President as a 2a guy, and although I voted for him, I see the gentleman as unpredictable. The number of mass shootings taken together make up a powerful ant-gun force. And there may be others. So get ready.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have no idea what he will be asked to agree with, and the comment does not imply that any action would prevent crimes. One possibility would be regulations or legislation similar to Clinton era restrictions. I don't see the President as a 2a guy, and although I voted for him, I see the gentleman as unpredictable. The number of mass shootings taken together make up a powerful ant-gun force. And there may be others. So get ready.
    I now what your saying
    The Dems have already started their talking points on MSNBC
    "Thoughts and Prayers are not enough" etc

The bodies aren't even cold yet.

Not flaming at all because I agree 100% with how many etc. Having said that the answer is very few leo's for all their training and even fewer of the lay public or teachers. The key difference here is that for all of that at least leo's CAN get the training and be able to shoot back. In most schools or mass gatherings only leo's are allowed to defend themselves. Everyone seems to lose sight of the fact that when you take your kids to school you expect the school to keep them safe. How can that ever happen if we don't force those same teachers and administrators to be ABLE and Trained to protect them? How about a real discussion about firearms training as a prerequisite of a teaching cert? Don't want to protect the kids you are responsible for then go find another job. It won't stop em all but what we are doing now with no gun sign's and prohibition of law abiding folks being armed in school simply isn't working either. I am not a qualified instructor and I understand that many here make their living that way, but how about let's make training for those folks free? Forget money for guards etc etc ad nausem, with all the tech out there one school at a time through a two/three day course in a shoot house and arm our caregivers. I always hear about saving one life whether for seatbelts, dui checkpoints, random drug checks is fine with most. What about saving one life with that one teacher that might be able to react correctly? Sure won't happen without those who are qualified getting involved in some kind of real way. Somehow I don't think paying hundreds of dollars by someone who doesn't even want to think about such a thing happening to them let alone actually getting equipped is likely either. Here in Ar. we have an enhanced ccw that allows some extra places to carry including schools. Unfortunately it's almost 300 bucks and is an 8 hour class. Real training? I'm less than convinced but if that is the best we have available then we as gun owners can do better. I have idea's that might help convince legislators in Arkansas but no basis for them listening to me as I am just a truck driver. After all I can't offer to train anyone, why would they listen to my idea's. A nationwide group of trainers might have some luck in more than just Ar. That's a few thoughts for now but if we can't discuss it rationally then how can we expect the avg joe to to so?

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    I now what your saying
    The Dems have already started their talking points on MSNBC
    "Thoughts and Prayers are not enough" etc

The bodies aren't even cold yet.
    Hell, they started before the bodies were even counted.

User Tag List