Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Compact Carry Hammer Spring Comparison Analysis

Beretta Px4 Compact Carry Hammer Spring Comparison Analysis

I received the 11# spring from Langdon Tactical this week and completed a study comparing the trigger weights of available hammer springs using my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. I took 10 measurements for each value and averaged for the weights below in pounds:

Wilson 12# Chrome Silicon
    DA - 6.53, SA - 2.57
    Beretta Factory Spring
    DA - 8.66, SA - 2.97
    Beretta Factory D Spring
    DA - 8.55, SA - 2.89
    Langdon Tactical 11#
    DA - 6.08, SA - 2.19

The measured average and the felt trigger pull for the factory spring that came with my Px4 CC and the Beretta Factory D spring are very similar which makes me think that my pistol came with the D spring maybe? I noted that there is a significant felt difference between the Beretta factory springs and ones offered by Wilson and Langdon Tactical. The Langdon Tactical spring improved what I thought was an already incredibly amazing trigger pull for a DA/SA pistol using the Wilson spring. I plan on keeping the Langdon Tactical spring in my pistol. I'm confident that it should work as advertised as it has already been tested by Langdon Tactical. After a couple hundred round test with this spring in my pistol I will be "warm and fuzzy" complete. Nicely done Langdon Tactical and much appreciated.
    Last edited by medmo; 02-14-2018 at 12:48 PM.

[QUOTE=medmo;709585]I received the 11# spring from Langdon Tactical this week and completed a study comparing the trigger weights of available hammer springs using my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. I took 10 measurements for each value and averaged for the weights below in pounds:

DA - 6.53, SA - 2.57
    Beretta Factory Spring
    DA - 8.66, SA - 2.97
    Beretta Factory D Spring
    DA - 8.55, SA - 2.89
    Langdon Tactical 11#
    DA - 6.08, SA - 2.19

The measured average and the felt trigger pull for the factory spring that came with my Px4 CC and the Beretta Factory D spring are very similar which makes me think that my pistol came with the D spring maybe? I noted that there is a significant felt difference between the Beretta factory springs and ones offered by Wilson and Langdon Tactical. The Langdon Tactical spring improved what I thought was an already incredibly amazing trigger pull for a DA/SA pistol using the Wilson spring. I plan on keeping the Langdon Tactical spring in my pistol. I'm confident that it should work as advertised as it has already been tested by Langdon Tactical. After a couple hundred round test with this spring in my pistol I will be "warm and fuzzy" complete. Nicely done Langdon Tactical and much appreciated.[/QUOTE

Excellent data!

Did you do anything to ensure full seating before the tests? The PX4 struts have a groove to catch the top coil.
    All of the 7 D springs that I have put in Storms started at about 7 lbs 14 oz double action. With the Compact Carry action I would expect it would be even lighter.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-14-2018 at 03:02 PM.

[QUOTE=PX4 Storm Tracker;709597]
    Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    I received the 11# spring from Langdon Tactical this week and completed a study comparing the trigger weights of available hammer springs using my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. I took 10 measurements for each value and averaged for the weights below in pounds:

DA - 6.53, SA - 2.57
    Beretta Factory Spring
    DA - 8.66, SA - 2.97
    Beretta Factory D Spring
    DA - 8.55, SA - 2.89
    Langdon Tactical 11#
    DA - 6.08, SA - 2.19

The measured average and the felt trigger pull for the factory spring that came with my Px4 CC and the Beretta Factory D spring are very similar which makes me think that my pistol came with the D spring maybe? I noted that there is a significant felt difference between the Beretta factory springs and ones offered by Wilson and Langdon Tactical. The Langdon Tactical spring improved what I thought was an already incredibly amazing trigger pull for a DA/SA pistol using the Wilson spring. I plan on keeping the Langdon Tactical spring in my pistol. I'm confident that it should work as advertised as it has already been tested by Langdon Tactical. After a couple hundred round test with this spring in my pistol I will be "warm and fuzzy" complete. Nicely done Langdon Tactical and much appreciated.[/QUOTE

Excellent data!

Did you do anything to ensure full seating before the tests? The PX4 struts have a groove to catch the top coil.
    All of the 7 D springs that I have put in Storms started at about 7 lbs 14 oz double action. With the Compact Carry action I would expect it would be even lighter.
    Yes, also dry fired to cycle the installed springs to cycle before I started measuring.

[QUOTE=medmo;709646]
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post

Yes, also dry fired to cycle the installed springs to cycle before I started measuring.
    Perfect. Great data, thanks.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-14-2018 at 07:43 PM.

I ordered two of the Langdon Tactical 11# springs and swapped out the second one with the Beretta factory spring on my Px4 Sub Compact. From what I can see it is the same part number as the Compact. Significant reduction in over all trigger pull and much better. I haven't measured the weights for comparison between the two springs but will do so when I get the time. Will also test fire over the weekend with the Compact Carry. The DA/SA weights have dropped with the Langdon Tactical 11# spring but of course it isn't as smooth since all of the parts are factory.

I converted a PX4 Compact into a CC, and got the same trigger pull weights with a WC 12# spring. The factory Compact Carry I bought yesterday had a DA weight of 9.5lbs (Lyman gauge), and the Beretta D spring was pulling around 8.75lbs! I ground a couple of coils off, and got it down to 7.5lbs. The converted PX4 has a steel trigger, while the factory CC is plastic/steel, but I don’t know if that would cause a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I converted a PX4 Compact into a CC, and got the same trigger pull weights with a WC 12# spring. The factory Compact Carry I bought yesterday had a DA weight of 9.5lbs (Lyman gauge), and the Beretta D spring was pulling around 8.75lbs! I ground a couple of coils off, and got it down to 7.5lbs. The converted PX4 has a steel trigger, while the factory CC is plastic/steel, but I don’t know if that would cause a difference.
    I like that you & @medmo are taking actual measurements of DA trigger pull weights. Thanks for that data. I'd also be curious if the weight drops after around 1,000 rounds on a spring. If you find it convenient at some point, please share that.

I had a D spring I ran for 18,753 rounds. It started @ 7lbs 14oz and dropped to 6lbs 8oz by 2,453 rounds (where it stayed).
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-16-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    I like that you & @medmo are taking actual measurements of DA trigger pull weights. Thanks for that data. I'd also be curious if the weight drops after around 1,000 rounds on a spring. If you find it convenient at some point, please share that.

I had a D spring I ran for 18,753 rounds. It started @ 7lbs 14oz and dropped to 6lbs 8oz by 2,453 rounds (where it stayed).
    Interesting, I know the action has improved with my CC over time, (+2k rounds and plenty of dry fire sessions). I was attributing it to the mechanical contact areas breaking in and not the spring. It makes sense that it is the spring now that I think about it since all of the contact area showed up fit and polished.
    @FrankB , I’d recommend spinning the spring on a belt sander to reduce the OD rather than reduce the length.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Interesting, I know the action has improved with my CC over time, (+2k rounds and plenty of dry fire sessions). I was attributing it to the mechanical contact areas breaking in and not the spring. It makes sense that it is the spring now that I think about it since all of the contact area showed up fit and polished.
    @FrankB , I’d recommend spinning the spring on a belt sander to reduce the OD rather than reduce the length.
    medmo, When I first decided to use the D springs I tested it in one range gun and soon installed one in the others. I installed a D spring in Storms with these rounds already on the pistols: 10,947, 2,086, 1,009, 540, 5,566 and my shooting partner's Storms ranging around 7-11,000. All started around 7lbs 14oz DA & 4lbs SA. They each dropped in pull weights as rounds accumulated. Settling between 6lbs 8oz & 6lbs 14oz DA and 3lbs 12oz to 3lbs 14oz SA.

This led me to conclude that if the actions are cared for and lubricated the same, it is the spring that "relaxed" or settled in.

Even @5,965 rounds the sear contacts are not very worn.

Attachment 23836
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-17-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Warm Fuzzys achieved with the LT11# spring! Ran 200 rounds of 115g PPU ball ammo and 15 rounds 124gr Speer GD without a hitch. Primer strikes on spent cases solid. Will be keeping it in my Px4 CC. Didn’t have the time or ammo to test fire the Px4 SC the with the LT11# spring but looking to this weekend.

User Tag List