Thread: Old family guns

Old family guns

My dad recently gave me my great-great-grandfather’s Remington Rider pocket revolver, which looks to have been the J frame of its day. Apparently one of the first double action revolvers made in large numbers in the US. Anybody know more about these? It’s in rough shape, but I’m still glad to have it:
    Name:  8B31CDCE-F21D-4FD6-8ADF-4A87A6FA0C0C.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  63.7 KB
    This joins my great-grandfather’s DWM American Eagle Luger in 7.62, which is still very much functional. It was apparently his sidearm when he was an officer in the Michigan national guard. Or at least that’s the family story.
    Name:  C4DB0383-FCD1-4B1A-A867-37FD817FDDA9.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  68.6 KB

My dad was not a big gun guy — he had a Colt SAA in 45 Colt that he sold before I was born — definitely wish we still had that one in the family. Anyone have old family guns with history?
    Last edited by Xrslug; 02-14-2018 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    My dad recently gave me my great-great-grandfather’s Remington Rider pocket revolver, which looks to have been the J frame of its day. Apparently one of the first double action revolvers made in large numbers in the US. Anybody know more about these? It’s in rough shape, but I’m still glad to have it:
    Name:  8B31CDCE-F21D-4FD6-8ADF-4A87A6FA0C0C.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  63.7 KB
    This joins my great-grandfather’s DWM American Eagle Luger in 7.62, which is still very much functional. It was apparently his sidearm when he was an officer in the Michigan national guard. Or at least that’s the family story.
    Name:  C4DB0383-FCD1-4B1A-A867-37FD817FDDA9.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  68.6 KB

My dad was not a big gun guy — he had a Colt SAA in 45 Colt that he sold before I was born — definitely wish we still had that one in the family. Anyone have old family guns with history?
    A flat trigger. I guess there really is nothing new.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

True! And given how curvy other elements of the pistol are, I’m assuming the flat trigger was a deliberate design choice and not a cost-cutting measure. My speculation would be it was to give some extra leverage (and travel) for the double-action pull, but I don’t know.
    Last edited by Xrslug; 02-14-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    A flat trigger. I guess there really is nothing new.
    Flat triggers predate cartridge ammunition. I've got pics of wheel locks from the 16th century with flat triggers.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I wouldn't read too much into trigger design of 19th century revolvers.

My old family gun is a run of the mill Iver Johnson top break in .38 S&W. I load black powder cartridges for it and it works/shoots well. It has a pre-Glock trigger safety which is probably unnecessary with the 20# trigger pull.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List