Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Box to Match REVIEW HK P30L

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    One more thing is that the biggest improvement that Rick Holm does in his work is the reduced reset. Although personally I don’t really feel the juice is worth the squeeze.
    I wound up buying a P30LS and a month or two later they released the VP9 without any prior notice. I got one of the first pre-release VP9s sent to media and gunwriters and loved it ever since. I wrote an article on it for SWAT Magazine.

As soon as I got the P30LS I noticed that the trouth or groove or whatever you call it on the bottom inside of the trigger guard wacked my trigger finger during recoil. I never had that problem with the VP9 since the gun is striker fired and the height of the slide can be reduced when compared to the P30, and the backstrap is extended higher and a tad deeper. This translates into a gun that can be gripped higher up in the rear for better control and puts my trigger finger in a higher position.

But the P30LS was bothering me by wacking my trigger finger so I sent it to Rick to get the groove removed.

I also noticed the P30 had a noticeably longer reset than the VP9. This is due to German Police Contract Requirements for a certain length reset (ask Daggaboy about it). This made it awkward when compared to the VP9 which I shoot a lot. So I sent it to Rick and got the shorter reset put in. Now I can switch back and forth between my P30LS, my VP9, my VP9SK, my Glock, and once in a blue moon a 1911 and have a similar reset. Most of my semiauto shooting is with my VP9 and VP9SK.

If the P30LS was my only gun I would not be worried about reset. But I like having a similar reset with different guns that I shoot in a similar fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    How does one know? Code on the box?
    On the handle of the box/case, it'll specify "Pistol P30-V1 9mm"

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I wound up buying a P30LS and a month or two later they released the VP9 without any prior notice. I got one of the first pre-release VP9s sent to media and gunwriters and loved it ever since. I wrote an article on it for SWAT Magazine.

As soon as I got the P30LS I noticed that the trouth or groove or whatever you call it on the bottom inside of the trigger guard wacked my trigger finger during recoil. I never had that problem with the VP9 since the gun is striker fired and the height of the slide can be reduced when compared to the P30, and the backstrap is extended higher and a tad deeper. This translates into a gun that can be gripped higher up in the rear for better control and puts my trigger finger in a higher position.

But the P30LS was bothering me by wacking my trigger finger so I sent it to Rick to get the groove removed.

I also noticed the P30 had a noticeably longer reset than the VP9. This is due to German Police Contract Requirements for a certain length reset (ask Daggaboy about it). This made it awkward when compared to the VP9 which I shoot a lot. So I sent it to Rick and got the shorter reset put in. Now I can switch back and forth between my P30LS, my VP9, my VP9SK, my Glock, and once in a blue moon a 1911 and have a similar reset. Most of my semiauto shooting is with my VP9 and VP9SK.

If the P30LS was my only gun I would not be worried about reset. But I like having a similar reset with different guns that I shoot in a similar fashion.
    Nice info, I was just about to bump a vp9 thread since I was thinking of playing around with one and possible RMR experiment.

I have heard people say that Ricks reset reduction makes the p30s trigger comparable to vp9s.
    Last edited by EVP; 02-21-2018 at 12:28 PM.

I don't find that much of a difference between the reset distance when comparing my P30L V1 LEM with my VP40-they both seem to be pretty short, and if not identical, close. While the reset isn't as short as that on a Glock (which is virtually instantaneous), it's short enough for me. I've noticed other comments where users complain about the P30's reset distance, and I'm wondering if the LEM variants provide a shorter reset as part and parcel of the LEM set-up.

Best, Jon

I have a VP9 and P30sk (4.1 LEM) both with Rick's reduced reset packages. Resets are the same for both, but even with reduced takeup on the LEM it's still a LEM. I do find it's much easier to switch back and forth between the two set up this way. I'd imagine the SA on a DA/SA P30 would be fairly close in feel to the VP9 with the same package.
    IDPA : A454752
    USPSA : TY91150

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I have heard people say that Ricks reset reduction makes the p30s trigger comparable to vp9s.
    It really does. I've had other people shoot it and reach the same conclusion. If you measured it with a precision device there might be a difference, but for shooting purposes it is indistinguishable.

In other words if you are accustomed to shooting the VP9 fast and switch to a P30S or LS with Rick's reset reduction you are not going to miss the reset the way you would with a stock P30.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A few thoughts:

1) I really enjoy Patrick’s videos and his style — sort of a gamer’s version of Hickock45.

2) steel is a wonderful way to show pistols being shot hard, while providing instant feed back to the viewer on the hits as shots are fired.

3) steel is so interesting, as you see a speed that is working, and there is always the temptation to improve your result, almost inevitably leading to no improvement.

4) the P30L is like a dependable mini van, and but for the trigger would be even better.
    I've been away for a while. I come back to find my beloved P30L LEM being compared to a minivan. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I've been away for a while. I come back to find my beloved P30L LEM being compared to a minivan. Thanks.
    Nope. DA/SA was the minivan, but LEM is closer to a dump truck.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Nope. DA/SA was the minivan, but LEM is closer to a dump truck.
    From one who likes the LEM . . . ouch.

I consider it a perfect trigger for senior citizens like me . . . or others slow of mind or hand.

George is just grumpy because he has to fly a plane with cartoon-sized tires because of where he is instead of a P-51 Mustang...

Best, Jon

User Tag List