Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three inch J frames

Three inch J frames

Stoped in at a pawn shop today and saw a three inch Model 36. It looked like someone had had it refinished in nickel, it just looked too bright to my eyes for a factory finish and it looked thick for lack of a better word. Also, the cylinder was really hard to open which I think was from the overly thick finish.
    With all that said I really liked the balance of it. It looked like it would make a slick little narrow IWB or AIWB revolver with the five shot cylinder and the extra length in the barrel should help with the velocity a bit.
    Soooooo, with my trip to Tulsa and the Wannamacher Gun Show coming up in April what other three inch J frames should I be looking for? Did they ever make alloy frame or hammerless versions? Pics of course would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model 37 was alloy version of the same gun. Beware, many of those suffer from frame stretching, not so durable as the scandium guns. I had a 3" version back in the 80's. In the last decade or so they have made model 60 and 640 3" variants, in both .38 and .357.

@fatdog has covered the main bases. If you can find a 3" 640, buy it. JMO.

Your observations about the value of j-frame slimness combined with 3" external ballistics work for me. I have the 36 (called 36-1) in the heavy barrel, round butt version made at the request of NYPD's Frank McGee way back in the day. It was my first CCW, dating from shortly after I turned 21. Like I say, way back in the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have a 3" 36-1, 36-2, 30-1. and 317-something or other. They are handy guns and get carried more than my K frames ever did. To clarify, the 36-1 and the 317 get carried a lot.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I like this, but not at that price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/747417318
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

lock and flag free 60-15

I found a use for those silly bug bite holsters, they hold this thing on my calf in the perfect position when wearing 12" boots, which is mostly what I wear when not at work. But it is almost always the second gun.
    Name:  sw 60_15.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  59.6 KB

Ive always thought a 3" fixed sighted Model 60 would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    lock and flag free 60-15

I found a use for those silly bug bite holsters, they hold this thing on my calf in the perfect position when wearing 12" boots, which is mostly what I wear when not at work. But it is almost always the second gun.
    Name:  sw 60_15.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  59.6 KB
    Tell us more about about the silly bug bite holsters.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Tell us more about about the silly bug bite holsters.
    I first thought those were a silly idea, the gun is held at calf level, harder to retrieve than the ankle, and this big sleeve thing was bound to fall down during the course of movement during a day, likely to be uncomfortable.

Turns out to be the perfect placement for a 12" boot. which makes an ankle holster impossible to use. They are also pretty comfortable and breath reasonably well. I would not put one on and use it in the absence of my boots, but works great for that mode of dress and that location for the gun. At least for me. Someone with fatter or thinner calves might have problems with it, or tighter fit with their boots.

https://www.bugbiteholsters.com/

I usually have a J frame of some sort in mine and forget it was there by the end of the day. It has been totally secure and assuming I clear the garment, easy to draw.

I had a 3" stainless j-frame with adjustable sights, maybe a model 60? I'll probably be branded a heretic for saying this, but it did nothing for me. One of the first guns that I sold to someone that was an online acquaintance.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List