Thread: Tips on Finding a Good BJJ School

Tips on Finding a Good BJJ School

I wrote an article a little ways back where I give my perspective on how to find a good BJJ gym to train at for people who don't have any experience. Since I get a ton of questions through PMs here at P-F for the same thing, I thought I would post it here. Hopefully, at least a few folks may find it helpful.

http://www.iacombatives.com/2017/12/...-a-bjj-school/

here is a short excerpt on what I look at when i step foot in a new gym:

"When you go to look, watch the makeup of the class. Unless it is a specific class (like a competition class, or a MMA training night) than ideally the class should be composed of all types of people – men, women, younger, older, etc. A class made up of young, athletic dudes is probably not the environment you want as a beginner. A class with all types represented tells you that the gym is open and welcoming to everyone and has no issues accommodating different people.

Pay attention to the “vibe” of the class. Do the students communicate freely with each other and the instructor, or is it a rigid, military type environment? While discipline is a requirement, it can be taken too far in martial arts. I want to see the students laugh and joke with each other. Yes, be focused and serious in their training, but there should be an obvious element of fun present. The same goes for the interaction with the instructor. He should be able to control the group without resorting to being a drill instructor. An instructor that jokes and smiles with students means he does not see himself as too elite and above the group."
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    Sorry, Carry on. I'll be on my way now. I didn't see the extra "J" before I clicked the link.

Awesome article for people looking to get into Jiu-jitsu. Agree totally with Cecil

I trained 5-6 years in a hard nose MMA gym, had a few fights,and really enjoyed it but I also realized I was not going to be fighting for a career and moved out of state to start my career and life. I did not want to continue to put my body through fighting MMA and was looking to just focus on jiu-jitsu(always loved the grappling game). I visited a reputable MMA gym that puts out pros and UFC talent. Cecil is totally right about “vibe” as I was totally not digging the gym. I visited and trained at a few other places and when you find the right gym, you will know. Everything clicked and it has been great every since.

The opposite can be true too. One could be training at a gym that is not legit and frankly it sucks the fullfillment and enjoyment of training out of you.

Thanks for this Cecil.

Hoping to put this info to good use in the next few weeks after my house renovation finishes up. Just too caught up at the moment.

Site Supporter

Tips on Finding a Good BJJ School

Excellent advice and excellent points.

In any athletic endeavor, two things I look for in a coach are:

1). The ability to analyze and diagnose what a student is doing on a micro level.

2). The ability to explain on a micro level exactly what nuances make a particular technique work.

Essentially, these two things boil down to being able to show a non-natural athlete like me exactly what natural athletes do in order to succeed. I also believe they are part of what Cecil was referring to when describing the difference between a white belt and a black belt (the other part being able to create, perceive, process, and capitalize on opportunities for using the known techniques at a faster pace).

Unfortunately these are not things that will be readily apparent to a beginner looks by for a school, but they will become apparent after some time spent in the school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 02-13-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Look for a good reputation first and competitive success second. Find type/affiliation of BJJ that suits you. Number of fighters means nothing. Watch a class or two, beginner and advanced. Get feel for attitude... lots of cursing and grunting and bodies smashing for the instructors amusement... it’s a bro school. Lots of smiling hand shaking and laughing it’s chill a school. Both work, decide which “style/attitude” you like.

After that pick the one you can afford and the one that has the schedule that best works for you.
    Last edited by Hrhawk; 02-24-2018 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks to Littlelebowski for moving this thread to the combatives sub-forum. I think this is a better place for it to be than the mindset sub-forum. Hopefully now folks will easily find it.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List