Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92D Centurion Project

Beretta 92D Centurion Project

Rather than clutter up the recent Vertec thread, I'm going to start a new one here.

I am considering doing the following as a project gun because:
    1) It should prove to be interesting
    2) Sometimes I think I can have it all.

I plan on taking a 92D Centurion as a host and doing the following:
    1) Have the grip reworked to a Vertec, because Vertec does work for me. I have tiny, tiny, tiny hands. How tiny? I cannot fill the fingers of a Med size glove. My M9A3 solved this issue for me.
    2) D model because I read, and reread DaggaBoy's thread on triggers, and it makes perfect sense. Thank you @DaggaBoy for that.
    Every D model I have shot were the same, long, not overly heavy, and very smooth, almost like glass. To me, that should make a great street trigger.
    3) FO on the front, plain black on rear, as I understand Tritium insert is no longer available? Please correct me if I am wrong.
    4) Front cocking serrations? I am on the fence here.
    5) Light frame dehorn. Yep.

I really like my M9A3, and I can actually carry it unnoticed about 4 months out of the year, @ the 2'oclock position, OWB. I think the Centurion should carry a bit better, probably enough so I can move it AIWB, and make it my permanent primary.

All comments welcome or alternative ideas welcome.
    Last edited by wvincent; 02-12-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Id highly recommend the Langdon trigger job in a bag. I have them in several 92's now and love them. you can pick your spring weight but the 12# is the one I go with.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

I love my 92D Centurion. Personally, I don’t mind the stock trigger, and never put in a 12# spring. I converted the front to fiber and it is bright and large. I kinda wish I had not done it though, as I worry about the fragility of the front sight now. You can get very close to the visibility of a fiber with the proper application of hi-viz paint. I haven’t had any issues with the fiber, but I still wish I had left it alone.

"Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

As a fellow small handed Beretta owner. I would suggest a PX4 with low profile safety levers and pull the sear out of it. A simple way to a lighter weight version of what you are suggesting. Also, find a used PX4 and it will be cheap enough to try first.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I love my 92D Centurion. Personally, I don’t mind the stock trigger, and never put in a 12# spring. I converted the front to fiber and it is bright and large. I kinda wish I had not done it though, as I worry about the fragility of the front sight now. You can get very close to the visibility of a fiber with the proper application of hi-viz paint. I haven’t had any issues with the fiber, but I still wish I had left it alone.

Yes, this^^^^. I considered just buying a CenTac, and having the frame Vertec'd, but losing the rail is a plus in my opinion. Plus, the D model should make a good carry gun, for reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by 357carbine View Post
    As a fellow small handed Beretta owner. I would suggest a PX4 with low profile safety levers and pull the sear out of it. A simple way to a lighter weight version of what you are suggesting. Also, find a used PX4 and it will be cheap enough to try first.
    I've shot both, the PX4 just didn't seem to work for me as well. The weight may actually be a plus, I sometimes think.

Should be an interesting project. Look forward to seeing the end result. Good luck.

Check on beretta forum for info on re-lamping night sights. I think they can be done now.

Site Supporter
    I haven't been to beretta forum lately, but I did get a recent email from Tooltech:

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, due to new regulations we can no longer install or re-lamp tritium in non-removable sights. Trijicon is offering some warranty and non-warranty tritium lamp replacement. You may contact them at (248) 960-7700 to see if your slide qualifies.

We do have a new option available for Beretta 92 models with existing tritium. This option will be for us to machine off the existing front sight and install a dovetail. We then install a new custom three dot sight set. This new sight set maintains the existing height of both the front and rear sights. The new front sight is also pinned in from the top of the sight. I have attached photos of this installation. The cost of this installation is $275.00 plus an $18.00 shipping fee. Please note this is custom work and may take up to 10-12 weeks to complete.

This option is available in Bright & Tough style and HD style. The front sight outline ring is available in white, yellow or orange. I have attached photos of the different color outline rings. You will also have the option of green or yellow tritium lamps for the rear sight. The front sight will have one green tritium lamp.

If you choose the HD style sight set a glow powder will be added to the outline ring on the front sight. This will also have a serrated face, u-notch rear sight with no outline rings. If you choose the Bright & Tough style sight set the front sight will have a standard outline ring in the color of your choice. The rear sight for this will have two white outline rings surrounding the tritium lamps. This rear sight is similar to the Trijicon Bright & Tough series.

I have also attached an order form for your convenience.
    Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you & have a great day,
    Kristen Gingell
    Tooltech Gunsight Inc.
    625 S. Glaspie Street
    Oxford, MI 48371
    (248)628-1811
    Tooltech's dovetail conversions look great IMHO, but are expensive enough that I think I'll wait for new production dovetailed slides to become more available from Beretta.

AFAIK, Trijicon will still replace existing lamps as long as they have some glow still left. I'm hoping that's still true, as I have a couple of old slides I've been thinking about sending in. I may try to call them today.

Photos Tooltech sent me of their dovetail conversion:
    Name:  Beretta 92 DT Conv (28).jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  13.3 KBName:  Beretta 92 DT Conv (27).jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  12.7 KBName:  Beretta 92 DT Conv (40).JPG
Views: 1436
Size:  54.0 KBName:  Beretta 92 DT Conv (53).JPG
Views: 1449
Size:  53.2 KB

Actually, the pinover doesn't look bad either, as long as you don't mind a .140" wide sight.
    Name:  Beretta 92FS Pinover (4).jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  23.3 KB
    Last edited by Dave J; 02-13-2018 at 09:56 AM.

I've been exceptionally pleased with my 92D over the years, and have incrementally upgraded it based on my empirical experiences.

Upgrades include:

Langdon LTT G10 grips-only very marginally thicker than the Trausch grips that I successfully ran with for years, I'm coming to the opinion that these grips are probably superior, possessing an ideal thinness, ruggedness, and superior grippability due to material and design, including the heightened checkering and the angle of their checkering

Wilson Combat upgrades-Langdon/Wilson triggerbar, reduced strength (13#) chrome silicon mainspring, chrome silicon trigger return spring, +P (14#)recoil spring, extractor spring, and extended round and checkered magazine release

Tool-Tech relamped and improved Trijicon sights (green tritium front, with orange surround, yellow tritium rears, with a blackened surround)

Wolff slide stop/release spring and triggerbar spring

Check-Mate dry-film magazines, with hardened steel reduced profile baseplate

Beretta solid steel matte chrome recoil spring guide.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-13-2018 at 10:06 AM.

User Tag List