Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just reiterating I love the F.A.R.T.

Just reiterating I love the F.A.R.T.

I have a FART tumbler inbound. Really looking forward to addressing my brass backlog, and reducing my lead exposure.

I’m considering adding EDTA to chelate the lead. Looks like the solution needs to be at pH 8 to dissolve the EDTA powder but that’s easily done with some washing soda.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-17-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Mind providing some more info on the EDTA and cleanup of it?

Just reiterating I love the F.A.R.T.

From the papers I’ve read on washing lead contaminated soil, you only need a ~2 millimolar solution of EDTA. Roughly, that works out to 1 gram of EDTA per liter of water. Apparently you need to titrate the water to pH 8 in order for the EDTA to dissolve. I think we can just discard the solution since the lead is bound.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-17-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    How much do you use with a tumbler load of cases?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Very little. I pour a very thin stream for 1-2 seconds and sprinkle a bit of lemishine in.
    Yeah, good measurement method, I was gonna say a shot glass, but that is probably too much. OTOH, the stuff is cheap and the Amazon bulk critic acid is too (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) so I tend to use plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I have a FART tumbler inbound. Really looking forward to addressing my brass backlog, and reducing my lead exposure.
    If I am looking at that bin correctly, that might only be two loads. I can't believe how much the thing holds.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 02-17-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Yeah, good measurement method, I was gonna say a shot glass, but that is probably too much. OTOH, the stuff is cheap and the Amazon bulk critic acid is too (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) so I tend to use plenty.

If I am looking at that bin correctly, that might only be two loads. I can't believe how much the thing holds.
    So, you think maybe about a tablespoon would be enough? My tumbler (without the pins) but with a gallon of water, can hold 17lbs total, so that 's 9 lbs of brass total..I think a taplespoon should work along with some lemishine..

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    So, you think maybe about a tablespoon would be enough? My tumbler (without the pins) but with a gallon of water, can hold 17lbs total, so that 's 9 lbs of brass total..I think a taplespoon should work along with some lemishine..
    Probably a good start point. The stuff costs less than a dime an ounce and is readily available, so I probably use more than I need. I cannot think of a downside from overdoing it.

Also not sure how fast I have used it because I also use it to wash the cars from time to time...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    From the papers I’ve read on washing lead contaminated soil, you only need a ~2 millimolar solution of EDTA. Roughly, that works out to 1 gram of EDTA per liter of water. Apparently you need to titrate the water to pH 8 in order for the EDTA to dissolve. I think we can just discard the solution since the lead is bound.
    You can buy alkali water. Some of the stuff I drink post workout claims to be as high as 8.5 ph. I get mine at the grocery store and I have seen it in the local stab-n-grabs. I know it isn't free but it maybe cheaper than trying to buy "ph up" at the pool store.

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    You can buy alkali water. Some of the stuff I drink post workout claims to be as high as 8.5 ph. I get mine at the grocery store and I have seen it in the local stab-n-grabs. I know it isn't free but it maybe cheaper than trying to buy "ph up" at the pool store.
    I've figured out that 1/8 tsp washing soda per gal of hot tap water brings pH above 8. Then I add 1 tsp of EDTA for approx 4 mMol solution. To that, I add the Lemishine and Wash-n-Wax, and pour that gallon into the brass-filled FART. It's working well so far.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-21-2018 at 02:31 PM.

What's a FART? What's EDTA?
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Thanks for the answers, Tom.

What does a chelating agent do for us?
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-25-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List