Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pointed Bullets in 30-30

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Pointed Bullets in 30-30

I’m bored. It’s starting to warm up, and my energy and enthusiasm are coming out of hibernation. I’m trying to resist going down the black powder cartridge rabbit hole as well.

Has anyone strayed away from the usual 130, 150, 170gr lead and jacketed bullets and experimented a bit? There’s a bunch of interesting folks out there using Winchesters of various calibers, (along with the Rolling Blocks and Sharps) that seem to enjoy dinging metal with wooden shooting sticks and iron sights out at Schmidt-Bender (maybe Vortex for us poors) distances. Yes, I know my 94 isn’t a bench rest rifle, but neither is my old Schmidt Rubin, but I’ve had a lot of fun with that out to about 600y using hand loads and a diopter sights.

I have an entire shelf of used and experimented with .308 diameter bullets to draw from. The first person who says “it’s dangerous to load them in a tubular magazine” gets monkey stomped. We all know that. 😁

I bet there are a few folks around here that have played around with this before!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Well, yes, but MY .30-30 is a Remington 788 and once upon a time I shot a Contender at IHMSA.
    A friend gave me some 173gr military match pulls - his Uncle had replaced them with SMKs as "Mexican Match." They do well loaded over magazine OAL, but have to be seated very deeply to fit the magazine. I shot mostly Speer 150 gr BTSP in the Contender, largely because there was a Speer dealer here at the time.
    A friend borrowed my 788 to hunt with after her .270 was stolen and got a deer with the Hornady rubber nose sorta spitzer.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I’m bored. It’s starting to warm up, and my energy and enthusiasm are coming out of hibernation. I’m trying to resist going down the black powder cartridge rabbit hole as well.

Has anyone strayed away from the usual 130, 150, 170gr lead and jacketed bullets and experimented a bit? There’s a bunch of interesting folks out there using Winchesters of various calibers, (along with the Rolling Blocks and Sharps) that seem to enjoy dinging metal with wooden shooting sticks and iron sights out at Schmidt-Bender (maybe Vortex for us poors) distances. Yes, I know my 94 isn’t a bench rest rifle, but neither is my old Schmidt Rubin, but I’ve had a lot of fun with that out to about 600y using hand loads and a diopter sights.

I have an entire shelf of used and experimented with .308 diameter bullets to draw from. The first person who says “it’s dangerous to load them in a tubular magazine” gets monkey stomped. We all know that. 😁

I bet there are a few folks around here that have played around with this before!
    That's how you get kilt in the woods.😁

Hey...if you like you some “kilt in the woods”, who am I to judge?

I’m Czech. We have our own traditions.

Subscribing because Contender.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I used to have a H&R Handi rifle that I loaded 165 Partitions to a hefty +P velocity. I no longer have that data or remember the charge of R-15 that I was using. It was accurate and deadly out to 250 yards or so. I traded it off for a Handi in .308. Boy, was I dumb...

The first person who says “it’s dangerous to load them in a tubular magazine” gets monkey stomped. We all know that. 😁
    We all know that pointy bullets are dangerous in a tube, or we all know that you get monkey stomped for saying that?

I sold my .30-30 TC barrels, but I probably loaded pointy bullets in them. Have to check the notes.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I have a Savage 24 over/under in 30-30/12ga. I use it during turkey season on family land in Georgia. The 12 gauge is for the turkey, and the 30-30 is for any feral hog that wanders by. Since the 30-30 is a single shot, I can shoot pointy bullets without issue.

I've had good range results with pointed 150 grain Hornady Interlock soft points over 36.3 grains of CFE223 propellant in Hornady cases. I got an average velocity of 2451.4 fps and an SD of just 6.2. Nice little groups.

I haven't had the opportunity to put one of those Interlocks in a hog yet, but turkey season starts April 2nd...

I've thought of getting really crazy, and having the Savage reamed out to 30-30 AI...

I’m going to toss together some 165gr Remington PSPCL and see how they do. I’ll report back.

I’m going to toss together some 165gr Remington PSPCL and see how they do. I’ll report back.

Is it proper internet protocol to quote yourself? 🤷

Anyhow, scratched the above idea for the time being. Instead, I dug out the 173gr Lyman’s with the gas check. A few years back, I tried them and wasn’t happy. I’m revisiting that with a new plan. I got the seating depth issue solved (shallow throat was jamming bullets) and loaded up a spread using Unique at 8.5-10.0gr. Last time the 9.0gr gave me one hole/5 shots at 25yds and about 1300fps. We’ll see how it goes this time.

Now off to dig up @Malamute thread on stoning the loading door on my ‘94. I think it’s in the Levergun thread.

User Tag List