Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Just reiterating I love the F.A.R.T.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Long time reloader here. Long time tumbler. If I go to the FART, tell m about "drying" the brass. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Food dehydrator. By far the smartest and easiest solution.
    While I am considering a dryer at some point, I have just been laying them out flat on a towel for several days or maybe a week. Not saying it is best or anything, just an option. The dryers are cheap enough to not bother not doing it, I just have enough brass that there is always enough lead time to just let them dry. Your climate, wherever you may be, might vary this though.

in the summer i just put mine on a towel and sun bake it. Have a wire fry basket i pile brass in and put it in the over for an hour at 175. Use to put the basket on a tennis shoe rack and put in clothes dryer.

I have an elderly Thumler rotary that polished a lot of rocks for a friend. It is great for wet tumbling of black powder brass. But the cycle of load with brass, water, chemicals, and pin or ceramic media, let tumble, drain, rinse, separate media, and dry is more work than I care to do on bulk pistol brass.

I am content with a dry vibrator for that. I don't need them as shiny as new, I just want them clean so they run through the Dillon smoothly.

My vibratory has a Midway label, but if you look at it in the right light, you can see the Thumler trademark embossed in the bowl. I have not succeeded in wearing it out while my friends have seen Dillon, Lyman, and RCBS come and go. If it finally does give up the ghost, I will feel I have had my use out of it and buy a new Thumler.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    But the cycle of load with... pin or ceramic media... separate media, and dry is more work than I care to do on bulk pistol brass.
    IMO the pins make the whole process unnecessarily clunky, I have only used mine once. I just pour my cases in, throw in a little soap and citric, run it for a short while, then pour out the water and lay the cases on a towel. I travel a lot for work, so it is simple (and quick) for me to do this prior to a trip, and the cases are ready to load when I get back.

I want to reiterate that I am not the F.A.R.T. salesman, just really happy with what has been working for me.

The pins are handy to have, the one time I used them was when I bought some bargain brass that was really cruddy. They took some stuff that I considered throwing away right after I bought it to a state where they looked like they had just been struck from the die that manufactured them. Even the bottom of the lettering of the head stamp text was shiny. But a colossal PITA, those pins are..

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Just don’t overdo it with the citric acid. If you were seeing pink-ish looking breast, back off.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    LOL - Between voice recognition, my piss-poor typing and the 1 hour or so limit on editing posts, I end up posting all kids of embarrassing stuff.

Voice recognition always puts in "breast" for "brass", I've almost given up trying to correct it.

PS> If using more citric acid has you seeing more pinkish looking breasts, you should definitely use even more, not less.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I cannot fathom how anyone could think wet tumbling is easier or faster than dry tumbling with corn cob? No Depriming, no dust a hour and a half and its ready to load. How does wet tumbling make this easier?

Quote Originally Posted by AJLooch View Post
    I cannot fathom how anyone could think wet tumbling is easier or faster than dry tumbling with corn cob? No Depriming, no dust a hour and a half and its ready to load. How does wet tumbling make this easier?
    Because you get vastly superior results and with a food dehydrator, no worries about depriming. I've tried both.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by AJLooch View Post
    When I dry tumbled, I tried a bunch of different types of media, including corn cob, and never was 100% dust free. Wet tumbling takes me about an hour, the brass is cleaner than dry tumbling and lead primer residue is contained within the water. Yes, waiting for the brass to dry in the dehydrator takes longer in total than dry tumbling, but it's not as if you're standing there tending the dehydrator. So basically the only "inconvenience" for cleaner brass and the reduced possibility of lead poisoning/contamination is that you can't immediately start reloading your cleaned brass after it comes out of the tumbler. In addition, unless they have come out with significantly larger vibratory dry tumblers in recent years, you can clean a much larger volume of cases at once with the FART than you can with dry tumbling.

4-5 gallons of 9mm brass cleaned in an hour in a cement mixer (not Harbor Fright - BTDT) and dried in 90 mins in a pair of 1000W dehydrators makes an odious chore not so bad. Especially when you can run multiple batches in a day.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 07-24-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List