Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: H&K VP 9 and apendix carry

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've no idea how much field work you do or the odds of you pulling your gun and then having to holster quickly as the situation changes from a shoot to a no-shoot. I am also plain clothes, though, and I do not carry AIWB. Some of the techniques used to mitigate the risk could break down under a high stress time-pressured situation and it's simply not worth it to me to take any increased risk. YMMV.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've no idea how much field work you do or the odds of you pulling your gun and then having to holster quickly as the situation changes from a shoot to a no-shoot. I am also plain clothes, though, and I do not carry AIWB. Some of the techniques used to mitigate the risk could break down under a high stress time-pressured situation and it's simply not worth it to me to take any increased risk. YMMV.
    I think this is very valid, we all tend to think we won't have to holster quickly after drawing and potentially firing... but there is a case to be made for being able to holster very quickly and safely at the same time. Being mistaken for an active shooter is not something any of us want to be involved with, getting the gun put away just a second or two sooner could potentially make all the difference in a situation like this.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    I think this is very valid, we all tend to think we won't have to holster quickly after drawing and potentially firing... but there is a case to be made for being able to holster very quickly and safely at the same time. Being mistaken for an active shooter is not something any of us want to be involved with, getting the gun put away just a second or two sooner could potentially make all the difference in a situation like this.
    On the more mundane side, I once shot a pitbull that took a liking to my forearm. His skinny crackhead burglar owner charged me with his skinny crackhead burglar girlfriend hanging back. I can't shoot skinny crackhead burglar who's unarmed and literally half my weight, and I've got a gun in my hand. Luckily he listened to verbal commands and stopped, but had the scenario changed just a bit and he kept coming, I need to get the gun out of my hand quickly. I don't have the luxury of taking my holster off to reholster, to shove my pelvis forward and carefully holster, etc. I have to shove it somewhere and be prepared for hands on.

In a "mistaken for active shooter" type thing I probably have the luxury of just dropping it until the uniformed guys sort out who I am. With crackhead burglar approaching and second crackhead watching, I *have* to secure it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by White Crane View Post
    Adding to this well-made point, I recently did some experimentation with different folding knives, including one that is carried tip down and is prone to accidental opening. Even though I am always careful and was particularly careful when carrying this knife, I still managed to accidentally open the knife and poke my finger when reaching into that pocket. There was nothing urgent or stressful occurring at the time. I promptly switched back to a different knife that used my preferred tip up carry.

This is one reason I do not carry AIWB. I prefer to choose equipment that minimizes the likelihood and/or consequences of something going wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

After running a p30L for awhile a full tensioned striker with no gadget capability crosses a threshold for me. Having a hammer fired gun or gadget equipped glocks just give me a lot more peace of mind even if it is only mental.

Since this will be an issued gun, I suspect you have no alternative weapons choices and modification is extremely limited. I would personally not choose to carry the VP9 aiwb in an on-duty plainclothes role. As others said, hasty re-holstering is sometimes unavoidable for on-duty LEO, whether uniformed or plainclothes. With that in mind, I’d choose a form of strong-side carry for plainclothes/detective use.

Undercover and off-duty would change my decision, as hasty reholstering become much less likely. I currently carry a VP9 aiwb off-duty in a Mastermind rig, which is the most comfortable set-up I’ve ever carried.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

I carry the VP9SK in AIWB - I do wish there was a Gadget, but I think Tom mentioned it wasn't really possible.

Every method seems to have it's pros and cons. I actually like that I can see the gun into the holster with AIWB, moreso than I could with 4 oclock. I don't think non LEOs need to be able to holster blindly. Another pro of AIWB is weapon retention. Whatever works for you, really. Except for small of the back. I was in a local class, and a guy had his 320 in the small of the back, and watching how he had to change his grip, and blindly reholster was scary.

Tank you all for the advice.
    The need for fast reholstering was something I had not thought about, yet. This could be a real issue.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Depending on your typical style of dress, appendix outside the waistband may also be an option. Works just fine with suits, slightly up sized vests, sweater vests are great for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Luger View Post
    Tank you all for the advice.
    The need for fast reholstering was something I had not thought about, yet. This could be a real issue.
    How realistic is that for a German Policeman? I get the impression American Police draw their guns more and sooner than you would be likely to?
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List